ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-12, 12:28 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,146 Times in 8,159 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Purpose of ADDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCG View Post
The term "information resources" is a concern because it has an objective, authoritative ring about it, that is quite misleading.
I don't feel like this is such a poor subject to discuss and understand. Although, know that I'm biased towards supporting ADD Forums.

Looking at the meaning of "information,"we need to understand that information means facts. For instance, 2+2=4. Right? That's a fact or information.

To say that ADD Forums is a community, which provide factual information, means we're delivering accurate information.

Saying that our members are misinformed to certain subtypes doesn't mean that ADD Forums is not an information resources community. You are simply offering your opinion, for one. Also, the subtypes issue is changing as we speak, and I think we need to allow time for the dissemination and discernment of new information.

If you found 50 members that need some more information about the disorder, you're looking at a small, insignificant percentage. We have about 65,000 members and hundreds of guests that may never become members. No one would bother to report that, if they were a researcher.

ADD Forums can call itself an "information resources community," because it facilitates an environment for members to correct inaccurate information. Members are allowed to disagree, cite sources and provide knowledge based on their experience. If someone says something inaccurate, they will certainly be called out on it.

This disorder is misunderstood in many domains. It's actually sad. ADD Forums combats the lack of knowledge of the public, human drives and intangibles I can't articulate at this time.

I think there's a point being missed, John. The human condition is laced with error. We don't know everything, and we make mistakes. We come here as laypeople, mostly, seeking to understand something, which isn't even fully understood by the "experts."

Will there be cracks, which allow inaccurate content to exist? Maybe. Anything humans immerse themselves in lacks perfection.

John, you'll always find problems and imperfections throughout life. Finding them is easy. Finding what's good and positive is the hardest. Which one will you choose?

Last edited by anonymouslyadd; 08-15-12 at 12:41 AM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-15-12), Fortune (08-15-12), Fuzzy12 (08-15-12), Jynical (08-15-12), Lunacie (08-15-12), Luvmybully (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-15-12), Ms. Mango (08-15-12), Spacemaster (08-15-12), tazoz (08-15-12)
Old 08-15-12, 06:12 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,945 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am trying to work out what this forum is trying to achieve?

The website title says that it is a "Support and Information Resources Community"

I understand the "support" part, but what exactly does "information resources community" mean??
Back when the forum was created doing research on ADHD meant going to the university library and sitting on the floor with a pile of books reading information that was mostly out of date.

The forum was created so we could have a place where we could access information and links to support (that's why we have the regional forums - so we could post links on support in each area). It was a good place to come and get information. Sure there were some myths too but there was a lot of access to resources. Some of the information and advice for coping strategies is really good and still relevant.

Tara came to the Amen clinic forums where I was a member at the time and encouraged us all to come over. For me that was in 2003.

Social media wasn't invented yet - this was not a social media type site when I joined. There were no visitor messages, no thanks button, no friendship requests. We had private messaging and a buddies list but you couldn't see each others lists to know if you were someone's buddy.

If you really want to know what the forum was trying to achieve go back to the very first posts. Check out the posts from Tara and Keppig.

For me being probably the first Australian to join it was good to be able to have access to information that was not widely available in Oz.

Context is everything.

A 'Support and Information Resources Community' is exactly what is was.

Is it that now? You can judge that for yourself. This is how the world works. Things change and evolve sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

Is it a success? That's another question now isn't it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-15-12), Fortune (08-15-12), Lunacie (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-15-12), Ms. Mango (08-15-12), Retromancer (08-15-12), sarahsweets (08-15-12), Spacemaster (08-15-12), tazoz (08-15-12)
Old 08-15-12, 07:45 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,077 Times in 9,334 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Social media wasn't invented yet - this was not a social media type site when I joined. There were no visitor messages, no thanks button, no friendship requests. We had private messaging and a buddies list but you couldn't see each others lists to know if you were someone's buddy.
In 2003, Facebook and Twitter did not exist, but social media most definitely did. Livejournal and MySpace were around at the time, as were numerous chat clients such as AIM, YIM, ICQ, and others. Various online companies provided mailing list accessibility, although much of that ended up as "Yahoo Groups." I ran several mailing lists from my third ISP in 1995 until I moved on in the late 90s.

Heck, BBSes provided social media and social networking functionality in the 80s and 90s as well. For that matter, e-mail's been around since the first one was sent in 1971.

Social media was quite real. What was lacking was a lot of the functionality that is considered fairly typical now, like friend lists.

about 11-12 years ago I hated forums, because they were change and I hated change. I wanted to stay on my mailing lists and usenet newsgroups. I finally started getting into forums and found out they were actually pretty cool, and getting better all the time.

Sorry, this kind of thing - social media, social networking, online community, and intentional community is a constant interest of mine. I've been online since 1989 and watched everything evolve. I hate to see the history receive short shrift.

Also, thank you for describing this site's history. 2003 was a very different internet, and sites where you can find a lot of data now were quite different then. I remember one medical site I frequented had a lot of very dense scholarly papers on just about every kind of condition there was. I remember doctors telling me the Internet wasn't trustworthy, and they had no idea this site existed. Now I forget what it was called, but I believe it was absorbed into WebMD at some point.

There was a lot of valid information online, but it often required creative googling to track down, was not all kept in any central location, and there was a lot more chaff mixed with the wheat. I remember researching autism in 2003 and mostly finding news articles that described autism in very stereotypical terms. Google was also still only a few years old, too.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-15-12), Lunacie (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-15-12), Ms. Mango (08-15-12), Retromancer (08-15-12), sarahsweets (08-15-12), tudorose (08-16-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-12, 01:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
It's true, people can be badly misinformed and propagate misinformation here. There's not much you can do about it except offer corrections where appropriate.

For example, there have been a few threads where someone wanted to completely change ADHD's categorization and link it to a disorder that actually has very little in common with ADHD. If someone can do that without breaking the forum guidelines, there's not much to be done.

Two phrases come to mind upon reading the OP's further contributions to this thread:

"Physician, heal thyself."

and

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Thank you very much for that advice.

Coming as it does, from a self-proclaimed "genius " , I'll be sure to give it the kind of due consideration it warrants.

Regards,

J
Old 08-15-12, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

Not even the "experts" agree fully on the precise specifics of adhd, it is an ongoing learning experience.

Of course there will be "laypeople" presenting information as factual. A lack of a degree does not instantly negate the truth of their statements. Just like owning a degree does not instantly guarantee the truth of another's.

It is much easier now to get access to textbooks, studies, research articles, etc on any subject you want to look into. Of course there will be people who will read information and then loudly proclaim THEY interpreted it absolutely correctly and NO one else's interpretation could possibly be correct.

And yes there are a few here that actually do have professional knowledge and extensive experience both personal and professional in dealing with adhd. They are not the ones though who constantly insist they know it all or no one else could possibly be correct. When they present their learned information, it is worth hearing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-15-12), mctavish23 (08-15-12), sarahsweets (08-15-12), Spacemaster (08-15-12)
Old 08-15-12, 04:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I don't feel like this is such a poor subject to discuss and understand. Although, know that I'm biased towards supporting ADD Forums.

Looking at the meaning of "information,"we need to understand that information means facts. For instance, 2+2=4. Right? That's a fact or information.

To say that ADD Forums is a community, which provide factual information, means we're delivering accurate information.

Saying that our members are misinformed to certain subtypes doesn't mean that ADD Forums is not an information resources community. You are simply offering your opinion, for one. Also, the subtypes issue is changing as we speak, and I think we need to allow time for the dissemination and discernment of new information.

If you found 50 members that need some more information about the disorder, you're looking at a small, insignificant percentage. We have about 65,000 members and hundreds of guests that may never become members. No one would bother to report that, if they were a researcher.

ADD Forums can call itself an "information resources community," because it facilitates an environment for members to correct inaccurate information. Members are allowed to disagree, cite sources and provide knowledge based on their experience. If someone says something inaccurate, they will certainly be called out on it.

This disorder is misunderstood in many domains. It's actually sad. ADD Forums combats the lack of knowledge of the public, human drives and intangibles I can't articulate at this time.

I think there's a point being missed, John. The human condition is laced with error. We don't know everything, and we make mistakes. We come here as laypeople, mostly, seeking to understand something, which isn't even fully understood by the "experts."

Will there be cracks, which allow inaccurate content to exist? Maybe. Anything humans immerse themselves in lacks perfection.

John, you'll always find problems and imperfections throughout life. Finding them is easy. Finding what's good and positive is the hardest. Which one will you choose?
You say that: ADDF: "facilitates an environment for members to correct inaccurate information" ; and, "that if someone says something inaccurate, they will certainly be called out on it."

Let's put that to the test with a little experiment, shall we?

I will start a thread in the "Adult General Chat" forum requesting advice regarding what the simple, basic, term "impairment" means in the context of ADHD.

(Note, that unless one understands what impairment means, one cannot be said to have even a rudimentary understanding of what ADHD actually is, as the disorder is defined by impairment).

Let's see what happens......
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHNCG For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (08-15-12)
Old 08-15-12, 04:55 PM

Thanked 23,971 Times in 11,093 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You say that: ADDF: "facilitates an environment for members to correct inaccurate information" ; and, "that if someone says something inaccurate, they will certainly be called out on it."

I will start a thread in the "Adult General Chat" forum requesting advice regarding what the simple, basic, term "impairment" means in the context of ADHD.

(Note, that unless one understands what impairment means, one cannot be said to have even a rudimentary understanding of what ADHD actually is, as the disorder is defined by impairment).

I thought you already did that once?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-15-12)
Old 08-15-12, 05:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I thought you already did that once?
I did once begin a thread with the intention of trying to explain the concept of impairment (as it relates to ADHD) after noticing that the term = one which is critical to an basic understanding of what ADHD is - was widely misused and misunderstood by many posters on the forum; that was nothing to do, however, with what I am seeking to demonstrate on this occasion.
Old 08-15-12, 05:56 PM

Thanked 10,080 Times in 3,172 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Okay, just to be a "buzz kill" here...

IMPAIRMENT in the context of ADHD means :

1) ADVERSE CONSEQUENCE;

2) The CLINICAL THRESHOLD for the DISORDER - meaning the symptoms

MUST create IMPAIRMENTS in major life activities, not experienced by same

age / same gender, non -ADHD peers; when engaged in those same

symptomatic behaviors.

3) NO IMPAIRMENT / NO DISORDER.

u r welcome
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-15-12), CheekyMonkey (08-15-12), Dizfriz (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-16-12), Luvmybully (08-15-12), Ms. Mango (08-15-12), salleh (08-15-12), Spacemaster (08-15-12), tazoz (08-15-12)
Old 08-15-12, 07:28 PM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:

Members here are not guinea pigs. We are here to support, not to be "tested."

Using deception of members to prove your point seems wrong to me. In my opinion.

[0,0]
|)__)
---
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-15-12), Drewbacca (08-16-12), Jynical (08-15-12), Lunacie (08-16-12), Ms. Mango (08-15-12)
Old 08-15-12, 08:10 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,077 Times in 9,334 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you very much for that advice.

Coming as it does, from a self-proclaimed "genius " , I'll be sure to give it the kind of due consideration it warrants.

Regards,

J
Ah, argument ad hominem. Keep it classy, John.

I'll be more explicit: Your "concerns" about people being "dangerously inaccurate" rings pretty hollow to me when you produce half-baked barely researched notions like "ADHD is a form of anti-social personality disorder" and then insist that people only acknowledge research that supports your conclusion and ignore or reject research that contradicts your conclusion. Never mind that there is no research that supports this conclusion.

Another thing that makes it ring pretty hollow is when you tell people based solely off a forum post or two that they don't really have ADHD. My favorite being telling a woman that she couldn't have ADHD because the diagnosis provided relief rather than distress. Because everyone is supposed to react in one specific scripted way to learning that they it, and that you can use phenomenology (more like epiphenomenology as applied in that instance) to rule out whether someone has ADHD over the internet.

You're not always wrong, but you are most assuredly not always right, either, but you seem to take being informed of the latter with little grace and a wounded ego. I recall that you seemed to delight in calling me pedantic, but really hated the fact that I called you pedantic, despite the fact that you really are quite pedantic and that the term itself is not even really insulting.

I don't care if someone calls me pedantic. I often call myself pedantic because I am pedantic. It struck me as peculiar that you could call other people pedantic so easily but take it so badly when your own pedantry is called out. Given that, it's not much of a surprise that you seem to take offense at people posting views you disagree with, and you not being able to distinguish between "those views contradict my views" and "those views are dangerously wrong."

Although how the views expressed in a discussion about the nature of ADHD that do not involve treatment or diagnosis or anything else but people disagreeing about the nature of ADHD subtypes could be dangerously anything is beyond me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Abi (08-15-12), Jynical (08-15-12), plank80 (08-19-12)