ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-11, 08:53 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 8,537 Times in 3,839 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
NLD/NVLD/Visual Processing Problems? Does This Illusion Work?

I just came across this BBC story about how visual stimuli can override auditory stimuli, demonstrated by way of an illusion:

"What's He Saying?"

I'm curious as to whether those of you out there who have a diagnosis of Nonverbal LD and/or visual processing problems still get "faked out" by the illusion.

See if you do, and report back! (And mention if you think your visual processing problems are milder or more serious.)

This is just for fun. Basically, I'm curious to know how powerful this phenomenon is, and this is a totally unscientific way to do it, but if it fails to work for *anyone* (who's not blind or visually impaired to the point of not being able to *see* facial movements), that would be really interesting!
Old 09-25-11, 08:37 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 9,175 Times in 3,829 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NLD/NVLD/Visual Processing Problems? Does This Illusion Work?

I dunno. I do have an LD in visuo-motor integration.

I think I might know too much and be overthinking it, but I really *don't* hear much of a difference. (maybe Ba to "va" definitely not "fa).

I do see the differences in the mouth movements, but the sound is completely separate for me. Weird.
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 08:43 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 15,718 Times in 6,520 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have NVLD (that I am aware of) but I looked around at a few of these, and the illusion is minimal and fades quickly for me. I hear "ba" not "fa".

Another video I saw explained that people tend to hear intermediate sounds between what the lips are doing and the sounds one hears, so it seems like more people should hear va instead of fa.
namazu (09-25-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-11, 08:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,385 Times in 7,743 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not diagnosed with any of that. What usually happens is that I watch people's mouths, a small amount of lip-reading to help with what I'm hearing, because otherwise outside noises distract me too much to single out just one voice.

The split screen was fascinating for me. If I looked at the bottom lip being caught by the top teeth - I heard the sound 'fa'. If it switched my view to the lips meeting - I heard the sound 'ba.' It stayed that way through the whole video for me.
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 08:53 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,061 Times in 7,045 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

No NVLD

I was taken in completely by the illusion.

I also tried closing my eyes during the "Far's" and immediately heard "Bah's"

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 08:55 AM

Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,386 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise- I am not aware of having NVLD, (though my recent brain integration work has left me shocked at just far out of touch with reality my brain is!).

The illusion got me in 100%, but when I shut my eyes I heard "Ba" not "Far".

We all need to remember- none of us knows ANYthing of reality.
All we know is the hologram presented to us by our brains.

Spiritual Road Trip:
Enlightenment-- "Are we "there" yet?"

In medicine and science, as in life, we are all Ďprisoners of our training' and tend to dismiss things we havenít learned and/or donít understand rather than embracing them as opportunities to expand our knowledge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 09:02 AM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 15,718 Times in 6,520 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

If you hear fa while looking and ba with your eyes closed, the illusion is working as intended.
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 12:42 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,131 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have NVLD that I know of. It got me, too. I heard "fa" when I watch the video. If I looked away or closed my eyes I heard "ba".

My husband watched it and never heard '"fa".

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,166 Times in 555 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

It worked on me although sometimes I could hear the plosive "b". It almost sounded like a plosive "fa."
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 02:36 PM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Fa!!

I don't know about my processing difficulties...

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-25-11)
Old 09-25-11, 03:25 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 8,537 Times in 3,839 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for playing, y'all...

TygerSan and Fortune, that's interesting.

Nonverbal LD is one of those weird labels that is defined and applied extremely inconsistently, I've found -- in some cases, it's basically used interchangeably with Asperger's, in some cases, it just means non-phonological LD, etc. (This is frustrating to me.)

But in any case, what I was wondering was whether people who, for various non-sensory reasons (LDs or other processing-related issues), tend to strongly favor auditory and/or verbal modes of learning (which could certainly include some flavors of autistic-spectrum disorders), might be less susceptible to this illusion than people with stronger visual-processing (or facial-processing?) skills.

Based on this small handful of anecdotal responses, it seems possible. Obviously, this was not a scientific study. But given that the original video implied that the phenomenon was universal,* and even the researcher himself still falls for it, despite knowing exactly how it works, some counterexamples would really be all that's needed to say "uh...not so fast!". And this could nicely illustrate something about the ways different people make sense of stimuli they encounter -- we don't all do it the same way. *Tygersan, thanks for pointing out that other explanations of the illusion suggest more nuanced outcomes, though!

The illusion gets me. However, I think my visual processing problems are relatively mild (and more visual memory-related, which might play into this type of phenomenon less because it's right in front of me).

- N.
Old 09-12-12, 12:48 AM

Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,109 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just discovered that I DO have NVLD...

Selena
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-16-12)