ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-21-13, 04:09 PM
Contributor

noradd will become famous soon enough
DMAE as effective as ritalin?

Could this be true?
If yes, why do doctors not give people DMAE instead of ritalin?
I'd assume that DMAE is much safer since you can buy it everywhere.

Quote:
Dimethylaminoethanol is not a new medication for ADHD. Although it was used to treat a different disorder in the sixties and seventies, that disorder forms a good part of what we now know as ADHD.
During those years, DMAE was known as Deanol, a pale yellow liquid given to children to improve learning, attention span and behavioral problems. By 1959, DMAE or Deanol was confirmed to improve the test scores of children who regularly took it.
In 1974, a more rigorous study compared the efficacy of DMAE to that of Ritalin. By the next year, another study established that DMAE and Methylphenidate (the active ingredient in Ritalin) had about the same effectiveness in ADHD therapy.
However, the number of studies done on DMAE was not enough for the FDA to conclusively approve the drug for ADHD. Deanol was taken off the market but DMAE continued to be sold as a supplement for other indications.

Last edited by Amtram; 02-21-13 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: removed commercial links
Old 02-21-13, 04:52 PM
Forum Guru

Twiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to all
Re: DMAE as effective as ritalin?

Thanks for bringing this up, since I can't take any stimulants. I'm going to research this a little more.
Past Rx= Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 02-21-13, 04:59 PM
Contributor

L-Theanine is also supposed to help against ADD. I read that some parents give it to their children on off days. There also seem to be some studies about l-theanine and ADD.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-13, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

Special-Ks is just really niceSpecial-Ks is just really niceSpecial-Ks is just really niceSpecial-Ks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by noradd View Post
L-Theanine is also supposed to help against ADD. I read that some parents give it to their children on off days. There also seem to be some studies about l-theanine and ADD.
Oh the subject of theanine - I believe green tea contains lots of it, and a nice hot cup of it can make you feel relaxed/focused.
Old 02-21-13, 08:25 PM
Contributor

Silvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to behold

Dimethylaminoethanol, you say? Hm...

Dimethylaminoethanol. That's alcohol.

Oh dear, I can already forsee the reputation if this does get approved and go mainstream. "I'm not giving my children watered down rum and whiskey!"

e.e;

It's like giving a left-handed person a pair of right-handed scissors and expecting them to make some paper art. They'll twist their hands and wrists to adjust, turn the paper awkwardly, and take twice as long to cut a not-so-straight line. Are you going to blame them that they can't use a right-handed pair of scissors properly, or hand them a pair of lefty scissors?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silvermoonstone For This Useful Post:
Amtram (02-21-13), dogluver358 (02-22-13)
Old 02-21-13, 11:12 PM
Contributor

Here's some info about DMAE. Looks like it can also have side effects.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...20%28DEANOL%29
The Following User Says Thank You to noradd For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-24-13)
Old 02-22-13, 07:19 AM

Thanked 17,075 Times in 7,121 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

That page has a disclaimer that it is user-generated content, so I went to Pubmed to see what it had to say. I looked up Deanol specifically, since the webmd contributor had addressed it by that name as a pharmaceutical formulation.

Lots of the studies were about using it to enhance visualization in imaging studies. There were also studies about using it to help with a couple of very specific genetic disorders unrelated to ADHD. It's also been tested for firming up skin, and improving vision in patients with glaucoma, and treating dyskinesia. As far as improving cognition, not so much evidence.

Effect of six months of treatment with V0191 in patients with suspected prodromal Alzheimer's disease. Results: No better than placebo.

Effects of dimethylaminoethanol pyroglutamate (DMAE p-Glu) against memory deficits induced by scopolamine: evidence from preclinical and clinical studies. Rats with memory deficits induced by the drug scopolamine seemed to get better. Maybe this will help people who take scopolamine, but that's not ready to be tested yet.

Efficacy of dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) containing vitamin-mineral drug combination on EEG patterns in the presence of different emotional states. Subjects taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement that also contained some undisclosed amount of DMAE for three months got less upset watching TV clips. Say what? They experienced a "state of better feeling of wellbeing." (There's another study from this lab that involves so much more magical thinking that I can't even understand how they came to any conclusion at all, so I'm not including it.)

Really. By the time I got to 60 studies, we were back to the 1980s. A search for DMAE and memory returned four results, only one of them not included in this search, and it concluded that DMAE worked better than nicotine for memory in the rats that didn't fall asleep. A search for DMAE and ADHD returned nothing.

So this is why doctors are not prescribing DMAE for ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (02-22-13), namazu (08-24-13)
Old 02-22-13, 10:40 PM
Contributor

Thanks for the work.
Maybe it's not that good for ADHD after all.

But if this stuff can be used to treat TD then why do doctors not use it against that? I know someone who has TD and no doctor ever mentioned DMAE. This makes you wonder. Do they simply not know about supplements or do they not care or do they dislike supplements?
Old 02-22-13, 11:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,662 Times in 5,434 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noradd View Post
Thanks for the work.
Maybe it's not that good for ADHD after all.

But if this stuff can be used to treat TD then why do doctors not use it against that? I know someone who has TD and no doctor ever mentioned DMAE. This makes you wonder. Do they simply not know about supplements or do they not care or do they dislike supplements?
Maybe it doesn't work well for TD either.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Amtram (02-23-13)
Old 02-23-13, 12:27 AM

Thanked 2,177 Times in 914 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

We had a bottle of that when our son was little! I remember that now. They were chewable tablets. It was called PediActive or something like that. We also used to get some kind of a drink called spark. It was a powder. You mixed it up like KoolAid. He hated it, but I didn't think it was too bad. There was a fruit punch and an orange I think. Why is there never grape?? Now that I think of it, why is there no grape yogurt? Or jello? Maybe there is jello.
We did not really use the supplements that long because our son hated them. Of course, he hated ritalin and adderal, too.
Seems like I found those a while back and was gonna try em, but they were so old they were all stuck together and smelled creepy. Lol. Knowing me, I probably put them back.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 02-23-13, 02:26 AM

Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,036 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I only find L-theanine helpful for anxiety, and it's very subtle.
Old 02-23-13, 07:20 AM

BADDID is on a distinguished road

DMAE is one of the first supplements that gave me mild releive.Rhodiola also relieved the anxiety i had.
Old 02-23-13, 11:00 AM

Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, when both Bluelight and Erowid say "OMG, DON'T USE THIS STUFF!!!" then it's a pretty good bet you don't want to.

The TD treatments were specifically to counteract the effects of other drugs that caused the TD. Some were studies in rats, so maybe or maybe not transferable to humans, and the others involved either the pharmaceutical formulation, or an injectable form, so not the supplement you can buy on the internet.

The formulation and the delivery system of the active ingredient is KEY in safety and efficacy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (02-23-13), namazu (08-24-13)
Old 02-23-13, 06:47 PM
Contributor

Who's Bluelight and Erowid?

Is L-theanine considered safe? Maybe I could try this.
Old 02-23-13, 08:13 PM

They are two sites that believe that people should be allowed to take as much as they want of any medication they want, including recreational substances. They give advice on how to take potentially dangerous substances with less risk, rather than discourage using potentially dangerous substances in the first place.

While they have some factual information about how various chemicals behave in the human body, they also provide information about how to misuse them, which is why we can't link to them.

Since their philosophy is along the lines of "whatever, go for it," if they say not to take something, you know it's got to be bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-24-13)