ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-12, 03:17 PM

Tonksmom is on a distinguished road
Re: AD/HD and Hypersensitivity

OMG! This forum gets better and better. Being touched by people I don't know--huge issue for me. And I hate the huggy/kissy greetings even with friends. And yes, itchy tags, tight or itchy clothing, clothes that don't breathe, even some kinds of makeup makes me just miserable.

Nice to know I'm not just fussy and anti-social. LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonksmom For This Useful Post:
gemini-dreamer (12-15-12)
Old 09-15-12, 04:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

my son is a mixture, but I think more sensory seeking than hypersensitive. Heīs 13 and he has to have at least 6 cuddles a day, from either me or his older sister and I mean lying down proper hugs.

As a baby he had to be held all the time and need to feel my silk nightdress against his skin in order to sleep.

He likes his bed messy, wrinkled sheets with books, socks and stuff in the bed.
Loves taking his socks shoes off after a rainstorm and walking in the squelchy mud. When he was younger he was often naked and would wrap his whole body in bubblewrap, or silky material or cardboard.

He will wear socks all day that are too big so they go all wrinkly, bunched up and uncomfortable under the sole and it doesnīt bother him.

His mouth is hypersensitive, certain foods he wonīt eat, not because of the taste but because of texture, i.e onions. He can pick out the tiniest piece of diced onion or herb.

I canīt find any information on this though.
Old 12-15-12, 07:59 AM

4T5&ADD-Wha? is on a distinguished road

Wow. Yes. Speechless and finally feel understood. First post on forum. Late and and wide eyed. Silly with tiredness.
- Hearing: left ear 100% deaf since birth. Right ear chronic hissing statick (intensity varies with stress and activity). I hear things others can't until I ask "what is that sound"? Loud sudden noises scare the heck outta me, and unnecessary chatter is annoying. More than one sound source at a time is overwhelming.Though there are times I don't hear things others do.
- Smell: Typically I can smell things well before anyone else does. Sometimes this is a bad thing. Nasty smells - intolerable.
- Taste: I smell every new item before it goes into my mouth. Once I am familiar with it I'm fine .... Mom's pumpkin pie.
- Texture: moist chalky food horrid. Mashed potatoes must be whipped in cream, cheese, garlic, salt &pepper. Wool is cool, tags annoying. Sink water must be free of floaties. /squirm.
- Temperature: warm water is my friend - drink room temp, no ice cubes in anything. Hot water on with finger check until it is warm enough to emerse my hands in to wash. Clothing is layered / overlapped to prevent cold air up my back, around my wrists or ankles or back of neck.
- Touch: Tremendously difficult to have my face touched or get anything near my face. If I initiate or have control (ie; washing my face with a cloth) I'm good. . Sleeping under blankets or when some thing or some one is too close to my face I feel like I'm being suffocated.
- Visual: common words I've heard "very observant". "How did you notice that?" Patterns are my friend. I can pack a VW Bug with a load of packages the average person couldn't get into a van.

Really tired and have to get up soon for work.
Finally a place I feel understood. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4T5&ADD-Wha? For This Useful Post:
gemini-dreamer (12-15-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-12, 02:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

gemini-dreamer is a jewel in the roughgemini-dreamer is a jewel in the roughgemini-dreamer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4T5&ADD-Wha? View Post
I hear things others can't until I ask "what is that sound"? Loud sudden noises scare the heck outta me, and unnecessary chatter is annoying. More than one sound source at a time is overwhelming.

- Smell: Typically I can smell things well before anyone else does. Sometimes this is a bad thing. Nasty smells - intolerable.
- Taste: I smell every new item before it goes into my mouth. Once I am familiar with it I'm fine .... Mom's pumpkin pie.

- Temperature: warm water is my friend -

Clothing is layered / overlapped to prevent cold air up my back, around my wrists or ankles or back of neck.

- Visual: common words I've heard "very observant". "How did you notice that?" Patterns are my friend. I can pack a VW Bug with a load of packages the average person couldn't get into a van.

Really tired and have to get up soon for work.
Finally a place I feel understood. Thank you!
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.

I hope you don't mind, rather than re-write I just picked out parts of your post that are totally me! Thanks for sharing and Nice to meet you! OMG I love this place so much right now! You can't (you probably can though) imagine the feeling of being so totally weird, different (sensitve) for all of these years and then finding a group of people so similar! Yay!

Old 01-22-13, 10:33 PM

ImKitty is on a distinguished road

I had to wear socks from probably age 3-16 every single night of every year whether it was 30 degrees celsius because I could not tolerate anything rubbing on my feet, way too sensitive to touch the sheets.

Also, even today, I freak out when I get a pedicure and they buff the bottoms of my feet.

I also get really agitated when my honey rubs my back while I am falling asleep/ sleeping in bed.
Old 01-22-13, 10:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,105 Times in 796 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

I hate to touch cotton for some reason,not the fabric but cotton pads that one remove make up with or other suff, and I hate the sound of school bells when I hear it I feel physical pain in my stomach,but I like loud music tho.
I sometimes wonder if I itch more then most and I often sneeze when I look at sharp light (!)
Old 11-07-13, 12:59 PM
Contributor

ChicharitoFan14 will become famous soon enough

I know im hypersensitive when people have a go at me get really down in the dumps over it
The Following User Says Thank You to ChicharitoFan14 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-07-13)