ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-13, 10:35 PM

MissMiasMom is on a distinguished road
New here, and scared!

Hello everyone!
I am here to chat with other Moms/Dad's or anyone really that can or will listen!!

My beautiful Mia was born in December of 2009. She was almost 8 weeks premature and spent some time in the intermediate care nursery and was very healthy and able to come home before her due date. For the first 2 months she was a great eater, great sleeper. It stopped in March of 2010, she started to stay awake for very long periods of time, she would scream and scream at the idea of sleep. She finally started sleeping through the night at 19 months old. Once we got her sleeping through the night she started daycare and I went back to work.

Daycare didnt work for us, the last daycare we were at said she "probably has autism or something, she isnt right" , we pulled her out pretty quick.

Mia refuses to listen to anyone tell her what or how to do anything, standing in line at the check out is a nightmare and we normally do our shopping once she is in bed, she never sits still, she fidgets or jumps alot she's always climbing if she can find something to climb on she will do so. , she will run downstairs and run out the door in 2 seconds if your not right on top of her, she has cut her hair, cut the cat's hair, she constantly calls me a ***** (sorry for language), hits me slaps her sister, she is very violent. She has learnt how to turn on the stove, she gets up through out the night and runs around the house, she has been caught standing on the counter trying to get stuff off the very top shelp of the pantry. She has recently started self harming herself, when she doesnt get her own way she bites herself and she has little teeth marks and bruises all over arms from this.
She does sleep most nights, there are nights where its rough like if she has a nap during the day or anything. She knows her ABC's, can count to 15 and is a pretty happy little girl, until you tell its time to do something or that she cant do something.
I have tried diet changes, we had her on a milk and gluten free diet for 6 months, no change, we are always careful about giving her sugars of any kind, she doesnt like to eat much at all and I am always worried whether she gets enough nourishment from the little bit of food she does eat.

January 2013 she saw a doctor at the child development clinic in our nearby city. At that time the doctor said she was borderline adhd and if her behaviours continue or escalate she would consider treatment then.
We are going back to the doctor on December 2nd, and Im scared, I dont knwo what to expect, my husband and I spend every waking minute trying to figure out a way of making our daughter happy and not so violent, her older sister crys constantly as Mia is attackoing her all the time, I try to educate myself and my family as much as we can as to how to approach and dwork with her behaviours but nothing I am doing is working. I work as a psychiatric nursing aide level II I am certified in a wide range of behaviour modification counselling and I am at my witts end that I cant seem to help my daughter at all.

I have been crying myself to sleep for weeks about my daughter... am I alone here??
The Following User Says Thank You to MissMiasMom For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-25-13)
Old 11-24-13, 01:22 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New here, and scared!

Welcome. You are not alone. It sounds like you've been having a painful experience for a pretty long time now. She's almost 4 now, and was born about 2 months premature, correct?

One thing to know about kids with ADHD is that they cannot "act their age". They are usually about 30% behind for maturity. So (at almost 4 years, subtracting 2 months for premature birth, and subtracting 30% from that) she should (if she has ADHD) be acting like she is about 2-and-a-half to 3 years old. That would be one reason for a few of the problems - kind of being a baby but with a bigger stronger child's body, if you know what I mean. If you start treating her behaviour like she's 2 and not 4, maybe that can give you some better indication of what to do.

If she does have ADHD, then probably you or her father has it as well. Something to look into at some point.

There's a very good collection of resources for parents, compiled by Dizfriz, one of the respected members on this forum. Here's a link to "Dizfriz's Corner".

Best wishes for everything. Hang on, keep breathing, hopefully things will get better soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-24-13), ginniebean (11-24-13)
Old 11-24-13, 01:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is you need to advocate for your daughter with the doctor. I don't know if your daughter has ADHD, high functioning Autism, or both. Regardless, from what you are saying this is NOT a borderline case of adhd. What you are speaking of are severe symptoms. Do not let any doctor brush you off, your daughter needs help, your family needs help. If this doc won't listen, find one who will.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-24-13), psychokitty (11-24-13), someothertime (11-24-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-13, 05:06 AM

davinci10 will become famous soon enough

It seems that your daughter get bored very easily just a typical ADHD behaviour. Is she going to school? school can be really boring for her. unless she does something creative like painting, drawing or something that really interest her. I am 25 and just started singing lessons few months ago and it does great to fulfill my excitement and crave for pleasure. I wish I knew this at the age of 6. I've also discovered that I enjoy fixing electronics and doing that course at a local trade school.

Similarly, your daughter might need something that will allow her to think freely with her using her own temperament and feelings NOT conforming to rules of experts or textbooks. This is what might be boring her. Have a look at the forum Looking at ADD and PLAY the Darwinian Way.

Old 11-24-13, 06:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,900 Times in 13,075 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Do not let this doctor brush you off. She needs help now, not later.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-24-13), ginniebean (11-25-13), psychokitty (11-24-13)
Old 11-24-13, 08:56 AM
Contributor

psychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with the others - that doesn't sound borderline at all.

She needs help ... YOU need help.

Maybe the doctor didn't understand how serious things were.... Or maybe the doctor is just a moron.

Hopefully if you stress how dangerous things are getting for her and how it is destroying you and your family they will start to listen.

I hope you can get the help you need and deserve - and soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to psychokitty For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-25-13)
Old 11-25-13, 01:02 AM

MissMiasMom is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your kind words I am beyond stressed as of late and I'm hoping on the 2nd our appointment goes well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MissMiasMom For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-25-13)