ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site News, Information & Events
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-08, 12:48 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
ADDF Donation Information, Thank You's, & More

First, thanks to everyone who has donated to ADDForums! I just dropped into the Donation section and was pleasantly surprised to see all who have donated! Thank you very much and I can assure you that the funds are going towards upgrading the site and equipment. (More on that in a minute)

While adding features I found a hack for donations that gave those who want to donate credit for their contributions. I have emailed the author of the hack/mod and asked if we could get some additional features such as anonymous donations (for those who might want to donate in that manner), and especially for an automated system where it would add something to members postbits like we used to have for "awards". (Which I am also trying to get resurrected in our new version)

So Why ask or allow for Donations?

These is a lot that I/We would like to do to enhance ADDF and keep with the newer technology available today. I'm not complaining at all but a lot of this isn't free.. Simple hacks are often found for free but things like Photo / Video Galleries, live chat, vBulletin membership, site graphics customization, and especially hosting are not.

On the note of hosting, I've been able to get away with piggy-backing ADDForums on dedicated servers paid for by another larger community that I own that brings in enough revenue to pay the server bills, but together they are starting to max out resources at peak times, and if there is an issue, it can take down the system and both sites.

My server admin has been pounding on me for a while to add at least one more server to the system for both redundancy and performance. I need to do this in the next couple of months, and will one way or another, but any help from the membership are obviously welcome and appreciated.

For those of you who want to know what and how much, the new server is a smaller RAID server than the one I purchased 2 years. Its cost is a little over $3,000. (The one I bought 2 years ago was $6,400) Time and tech improvements has made the new one as processor powerful as the previous one I purchased 2 years ago, for much less $, but the original server has very nice 15k SAS hard drives (6 of them), redundant power supplies and much more. It will be converted to a dedicated database server and connected to the new server which will be utilized for web (http) work, some backups, etc. Both will run RAID 10 arrays and give us a lot of room to grow in all areas. What does this mean to ADDF? Even faster page load times, and much better "up time".

I just thought I would share with those who may be curious what any donations coming in will be utilized for, and thank those of you who already have!

Thanks!
David

PS. As soon as an Awards Hack becomes available (or I may pay someone to create it) we will add that again to the system and do our best to import the old data. In addition, those who donate will (once the hack is added) have a "Supporting Member" or "Contributing", or "Donating" (ETC) icon added to their post bit, for starters.

P.S.S. If you are interested in donating, there is NO minimum (that I am aware of) that you must donate. If its a dollar, that is fine. Trust me! I realize that none of us have money trees!

*Server Spec's attached as a PDF for you techies..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Apaq Digital - 8 Core Xeon RAID 1u.PDF (80.7 KB, 6 views)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
ADDAWAY (03-07-08), adhdogwalker (03-21-08), doiadhd (05-09-10), ginniebean (05-09-10), LostInTheStars (12-22-08), MADD As A Hatte (07-23-14), Mary (03-04-08), Matt S. (03-04-08), meadd823 (03-09-08), meridian (05-09-10), mijahe (11-25-08), newfdog (03-06-08), ~boots~ (03-05-08)
Old 03-05-08, 12:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Re: ADDF Donation Information, Thank You's, & More

Thanks for taking the time to explain the donation/expense in detail! In my life outside of ADDF, I deal with fraud and all kinds of contract nightmares. Mostly because there were simply too many blanks people were happy to just sign up for. And that leaves society a little wary to donate or crack out the credit card for things...knowing some specifics not only makes it very clear and real how much goes into the upkeep of a forum this large, it makes us all feel like we are contributing !

This place is a second home for me and has been an endless source of support and education! Nice to know there is another way to help keep it running smoothly!

Hope

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 03-09-08, 12:35 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I was happy to see they take pay-pal here - This way can donate without my debit card number being compromised - nothing personal against the folks here, my preference is merely a reflection of who I am.

Okay honestly:
If I didn't use pay-pal every craft, jewelry,pet product site on the internet would have my debit card number by now - {did I type that out loud?}

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-09-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-10, 02:49 PM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, I never even noticed the "donate" button before.

I must be AD/HD:CSI

Certainly Somewhat Inattentive

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-09-10), doiadhd (05-09-10)
Old 05-09-10, 02:53 PM

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for letting me get un-banned!
It has been of great service to me and everyone I come into contact with.

I am so glad I found this sight now and not further,to far,down the line.

Also I will try to forget the regret of not knowing sooner.

For mine is the future the power and the glory ah men,forum Wizard

Last edited by doiadhd; 05-09-10 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: I have no money to give,maybe one day...
Old 07-23-14, 01:07 AM
Contributor

MADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant future
Cool Re: ADDF Donation Information, Thank You's, & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
First, thanks to everyone who has donated to ADDForums! ... So Why ask or allow for Donations? ...

Thanks!
David
Hi David - I was wondering if you could please take a minute to provide an update on what goes on in the background with ADDF. I've (finally) noticed there's a "Donate" link in the blue bar.

Surely you're not funding this whole thing yourself?

I presumed either there is a corporate entity of behind the forum; or that the ads (on the guest version of the site) are funding it. If I'm mistaken, I'm thinking it's time I put my hand in my pocket!

Cheers

ADHD explained. UNC Burnett Lectures
Dr Russell Barkley - 2012
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...ssell-barkley/

Dr Patricia Quinn - 2011 - ADD in girls and women.
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...atricia-quinn/

MADD as a Hatter. Bull in a china shop. The angel who rushed in where fools feared to tread. That just about says it all.
Old 07-23-14, 12:32 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,452 Times in 9,111 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

The site is supported by ad revenue (ads shown to non-members / people who are not logged in).

As David, the site owner, has not updated the site for a long while, and the moderators and administrators are all uncompensated volunteers, there's no need for donations at this time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (07-25-14), Stevuke79 (07-23-14)
Old 07-24-14, 04:25 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,056 Times in 11,686 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

What would happen if we tried to donate anything? Once I've got moved (and have reliable internet!) I'd like to donate something to this site that has given me so much care and support when other sites basically don't care ...

(and is it possible to donate anonymously without our names coming up on any list or anywhere)
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)

Last edited by midnightstar; 07-24-14 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: internet keeps resetting itself for some reason best known to itself :/
Old 08-31-14, 05:12 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 929 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

There seems to be a lot of unused space here, why not use Google AdSense? I bet this site would bring in a fortune!

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
The Following User Says Thank You to Laserbeak For This Useful Post:
Flory (08-31-14)
Old 08-31-14, 09:11 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,991 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Ads are visible to non logged in viewers... so for casual researchers and visitors...

Bona fide members get an ad-free experience
~ SB_UK ~
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-31-14), Eaaqas (09-01-14), MADD As A Hatte (08-31-14), namazu (08-31-14), peripatetic (08-31-14)
Old 09-05-14, 11:32 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,041 Times in 577 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
What would happen if we tried to donate anything? Once I've got moved (and have reliable internet!) I'd like to donate something to this site that has given me so much care and support when other sites basically don't care ...

(and is it possible to donate anonymously without our names coming up on any list or anywhere)
It isn't clear, at this time, what would happen if you tried to donate. We (Forums staff) have no visibility into the donation process.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-16-14)
Old 09-16-14, 03:00 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 929 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by someothertime View Post
Ads are visible to non logged in viewers... so for casual researchers and visitors...

Bona fide members get an ad-free experience
Ah, ok

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
Closed Thread