ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-16, 06:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,283 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
I think we need to deal with med misuse a little differently here.

I am not talking about people that post how they snort their medication or any other potentiating ideas. And I am not talking about people who ask asinine questions about how much they can take to get high.

But when people come on here and post how they took their friends medication and think they have adhd,or took a little extra, or increased their dose without a doctor's perscription, I think it would be a service to let members chime in. Some people really dont think this is an issue. If they are looking to get high, just for that purpose, they have google and Im sure they already stumbled on bluelight.
I know ADDF doesnt want to condone misuse of meds, but the warnings given in the guidelines would let anyone know, even an official that it isnt condoned here. And I know that most members would advise why this isnt a good idea, and what can be done as an alternate suggestion. Having a thread closed and locked doesnt really help the person who may be looking for answers to these questions.

Some people think all meds are the same, take 2 aspirin or take 2 adderall, they may not even be aware of the legal consequences.
If we are able to knock down those thoughts and share our own, it might actually help someone get help-legally and from a doctor and not google.

I dont think allowing a discussion about how this is not a good idea means ADDF supports misuse or abuse.
And some of these people may have posted that one thread to really get an answer but then see their thread closed and locked or removed and never come back. Not everyone who asks these things is truly trying to get one over the system and get high. And you can easily tell the ones who want to get high over the ones who are walking the line.

Even if a mod note was stuck in but the thread was allowed to continue would serve as a reminder that we are not condoning those choices but we are willing to have a discussion about them and help.

Speaking from an addicts perspective, it could really help someone get answers without having to weed through tweaker threads somewhere else.

Just a thought.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Adenosine (02-28-16), Fuzzy12 (02-26-16), Lunacie (02-26-16), namazu (02-26-16), Socaljaxs (02-26-16), Unmanagable (02-26-16)
Old 02-26-16, 07:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,766 Times in 12,835 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I think we need to deal with med misuse a little differently here.

Good idea. I agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-26-16)
Old 02-26-16, 02:39 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,431 Times in 9,097 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
And some of these people may have posted that one thread to really get an answer but then see their thread closed and locked or removed and never come back. Not everyone who asks these things is truly trying to get one over the system and get high.
I don't moderate the medication sections anymore, but in my experience, threads are generally only locked or removed (rarely) when the OP is actively seeking advice on misusing medications or obtaining/using illegal substances, or is concerned about an acute overdose. In such cases, the communication from staff typically involves a reminder about our site guidelines and a suggestion to seek appropriate help.

We generally allow some latitude when new members report a past history of misuse of prescription meds or use of illegal drugs -- as many people with ADHD or other conditions have such a history -- but are now actively seeking diagnosis and treatment of ADHD, or wondering if they may have ADHD.

I agree that members have often given good advice to people who've "dabbled" with drugs of various kinds (whether or not any addiction or getting high was involved) and who might benefit from evaluation for psychiatric disorders and treatment if appropriate.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-26-16), Fuzzy12 (02-26-16), Greyhound1 (02-27-16), Lunacie (02-26-16), midnightstar (02-26-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-16, 12:08 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,891 Times in 6,202 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah,
I moderate in the medication sections. Generally, we allow the mentioning of misuse and someone describing their experience is ok.

We just don't allow the encouragement or support for misuse nor do we want to be a source of information on how to.

Thread closures, moves and removals usually only occur when the thread crosses the line into potentiating misuse and abuse. Mentioning someone misused meds. is not the problem. Seeking support or encouragement on how to continue misusing is. We try to follow the guidelines to a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidelines
In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way. This includes talk about overdoses or O.D.'s.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Adenosine (02-28-16), aeon (02-28-16), BellaVita (02-28-16), dvdnvwls (02-28-16), Fuzzy12 (02-28-16), midnightstar (01-18-17), namazu (02-28-16), peripatetic (09-23-16), Shamindo (02-28-16), stef (02-28-16)