ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 11-05-15, 03:40 PM

harmonyceilings is on a distinguished road
Re: Russell Barkley 20 best tips for helping your child manage.

literally after reading the first few lines, I started crying. My son is ADHD, and until this year at school (3rd grade) it hasn't posed much of a problem at school. Now it is and we are finding home life to be getting more chaotic too. So those first lines hit me like a hammer.

ADHD is a disorder of brain development and functioning
It is not a choice or the result of willful misbehavior
ADHD is a strongly genetically influenced disorder in 65-75% of all cases
It is not the result of poor parenting or social learning and so it cannot be unlearned just by changing the social environment

I feel like such a horrible parent at times, like I have failed to teach him such basic things, and it's so nice to see that it may not be completely my fault!!
The Following User Says Thank You to harmonyceilings For This Useful Post:
Delphine (11-05-15)
Old 11-05-15, 04:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 24,117 Times in 11,156 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyceilings View Post
literally after reading the first few lines, I started crying. My son is ADHD, and until this year at school (3rd grade) it hasn't posed much of a problem at school. Now it is and we are finding home life to be getting more chaotic too. So those first lines hit me like a hammer.

ADHD is a disorder of brain development and functioning
It is not a choice or the result of willful misbehavior
ADHD is a strongly genetically influenced disorder in 65-75% of all cases
It is not the result of poor parenting or social learning and so it cannot be unlearned just by changing the social environment

I feel like such a horrible parent at times, like I have failed to teach him such basic things, and it's so nice to see that it may not be completely my fault!!
You probably have taught him a lot. He probably has learned a lot.

Dr. Barkley also says we know what we should do, but too often we can't do what we know we should.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Bk2boys (03-03-16), Gryphonfyre (01-25-16)
Old 12-10-15, 07:08 PM

Khamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really nice

Hi,

This pdf file is very helpful but I find many tips hard to put into practice like tips number 2 (making tasks more appealling and stimulating), 3, 6,7, 8 and more.

It's too hard to raise a child with adhd and much more when there are siblings. How finding enough energy and strength? I'm a believer but I'm really worried about his future. Adult he won't have all these tips to make his life easier. He will have to study, work and manage his daily life as anyone. But I feel after reading these tips he will never be autonomous and independent. It's frightening and depressing.

I apologize for my weird writing I'm French .
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-16, 02:38 AM

Bk2boys is on a distinguished road

Love this book. Got it as an audio book for my commute. Really empowered and educated me to be that executive parent