ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-16, 07:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,544 Times in 929 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold
Current Events / News

I didn't think talking about current events/news was allowed on this forum?

I'm just saying since I was punished for it in the past.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".

Last edited by namazu; 06-15-16 at 09:42 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laserbeak For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-15-16)
Old 06-15-16, 09:52 PM

Thanked 19,611 Times in 10,437 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Current Events / News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserbeak View Post
I didn't think talking about current events/news was allowed on this forum?

I'm just saying since I was punished for it in the past.
I know. I have been also.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 06-15-16, 10:12 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,721 Times in 9,269 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laserbeak,

I'm not sure where you got the impression that discussing news or current events wasn't allowed -- it is, within certain parameters.

Science news has a designated place in the science section, and other topics may fit better elsewhere (including in Chit-Chat or Tech).

As a general rule, ADDF doesn't reprimand members for discussing news or current events, as long as discussions stay within guidelines.

(Off-color jokes about members of ethnic or religious groups or about terrorism are another matter.... Those types of posts are inappropriate, and they will be promptly removed, as you are well aware.)

The arguments, partisanship, and sides-taking that have arisen when members have posted about politics, religion, and other such matters in the past -- even if originally done with good intentions -- detracted from the supportive atmosphere that ADDF tries to foster.

That's the reason discussion of those topics has been restricted -- it helps us to keep the focus on providing support and information and helps ensure that people will feel welcome and free to seek support for ADHD and related disorders on ADDF, regardless of religious or political affiliation or beliefs (or lack thereof).

In general, if the moderators need to edit or remove a post due to a violation of guidelines, we will let you know by sending a PM, leaving a moderator note in the thread, or adding a note in the post explaining why the post was edited. If you don't understand why your post was edited or removed -- or if the mods have forgotten to explain -- please feel free to ask us directly via PM (and not on the open forum).

If you feel you've been singled out, or that your posts were edited/removed unfairly, please contact our administrators, Andi and Andrew, and they will review the situation and take action if warranted.

Last edited by namazu; 06-15-16 at 10:50 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-16, 11:00 PM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 929 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember a mod deleted a thread of mine that had to do with current events and when I asked him why, he TOLD me to complain. It was only after I complained, in accordance with his instructions, was I punished.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
Old 06-15-16, 11:26 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,721 Times in 9,269 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserbeak View Post
I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember a mod deleted a thread of mine that had to do with current events and when I asked him why, he TOLD me to complain. It was only after I complained, in accordance with his instructions, was I punished.
I don't know the details, either, and I'm sorry you didn't get a clear explanation for why the thread was deleted at the time.

If the current events you wanted to discuss had to do with wars, terrorism, politics, religion, or one of the other topics that's explicitly prohibited by ADDF's guidelines, that was likely the reason for the removal of the thread (and why appealing to Admin apparently didn't change the outcome).

Please also keep in mind that Admin chooses and oversees moderators, and if they do find that a moderator has erred or acted inappropriately, they may handle the issue privately with that moderator.

As staff, we try to handle things as gently as possible -- no public tarring and feathering of members who receive infractions, no instant bans for minor offenses -- because the intent is to try to enable people to continue to participate and to contribute constructively to the forum, not to shame people for making mistakes or bad judgment calls. We're human, and we do mess up from time to time; on those occasions, please take up the issue with us privately, or with Admin, and we will do our best to fix things.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Laserbeak (06-16-16)