ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-05, 02:23 PM

Amadeus is on a distinguished road
Red face Hi & ADD?

Hi, this is my first post.

At current I am very busy procrastinating with my dissertation so found time to post here. As always with my work the deadline is approaching so I am at least sitting attempting to do it. However I just can't bring myself to work.

I am unsure of whether I have ADD. Of the inattentive criteria I could safely say the following apply to me:
  • often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in homework, work, or other activities
  • often has difficulties sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
  • often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
  • often does not follow through instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
  • often has difficulties organizing tasks and activities
  • often avoids, dislikes or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental efforts
  • often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books)
  • is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
  • is often forgetful in daily activities
That appears to be all of them - I was going to delete them as I went, but it wasn't actually necessary.

Having scanned some of the site I saw some other things that apply to me - like not being able to hold coherent conversations, but having excellent writing skills.

My main problem is that I also have OCD and wonder if this is what I am experiencing, or if it is just aggravating ADD.

I don't live in the US so I would not receive drug-based treatment for ADD anyway. At current coffee seems to help to a degree, although the come-down is not always so good.

I don't think this has much of a conclusion, but any thoughts and encouragement are welcome.
Old 05-18-05, 03:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
Glad you found time away from your dissertation to post! It sounds as if you'll find your goove here shortly.

There is a search function here that will help you narrow your interests. There is also a good crew that posts from the UK here regularly. Maybe drop by that corner here and say hi there too.

Enjoy the distractions and here is hoping you benefit from the wisdom here. SB_UK is one member from the UK that comes to mind quickly.
Cheers! Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Hi, this is my first post.

At current I am very busy procrastinating with my dissertation so found time to post here. As always with my work the deadline is approaching so I am at least sitting attempting to do it. However I just can't bring myself to work.

I am unsure of whether I have ADD. Of the inattentive criteria I could safely say the following apply to me:

• often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in homework, work, or other activities
  • often has difficulties sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
  • often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
  • often does not follow through instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
  • often has difficulties organizing tasks and activities
  • often avoids, dislikes or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental efforts
  • often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books)
  • is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
  • is often forgetful in daily activities
That appears to be all of them - I was going to delete them as I went, but it wasn't actually necessary.

Having scanned some of the site I saw some other things that apply to me - like not being able to hold coherent conversations, but having excellent writing skills.

My main problem is that I also have OCD and wonder if this is what I am experiencing, or if it is just aggravating ADD.

I don't live in the US so I would not receive drug-based treatment for ADD anyway. At current coffee seems to help to a degree, although the come-down is not always so good.

I don't think this has much of a conclusion, but any thoughts and encouragement are welcome.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?