ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-16, 02:47 PM

whereami will become famous soon enough
Sticky on supplements for the treatment of ADHD, Scientific Evidence/Research

[MODERATOR NOTE: This post was moved from this thread to the Forum Feedback section.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by inattentiveprof View Post
-Why is this thread stickied? It doesn't contain actual information let alone actual scientific evidence regarding supplements and ADHD, and is mostly a debate about the rather strange first post
-Is it possible for a mod to create and sticky another thread about actual scientific evidence about supplements so we can post the studies we've come across?

This thread is stickied because McTavish23 is one of the very first members of this forum.

The OP's post is blatantly wrong. It also goes against the basic fundamentals of scientific method. I would like to think that scientific method, logic, and facts, would be relevant to any educated and intelligent person.

Things do not just "not work" based on a perceived lack of clinical evidence.

Furthermore, it is nearly 2017. We know more now. We have studies. We have scientific information now which is Not getting stickied on this forum which is considerably more scientific and fact based than the OP's post.

What's worse, is the assertion that some of our pharmaceutical solutions are "proven", despite lack of any meaningful Longitudinal Study. In the 90's, it was understandable. By now, though, with the amount of money that has been made on them, it would be Really nice to see a study more than 3 years in length that shows Some kind of benefit to these drugs. Because the limited clinical information that we do have, either doesn't show any, or shows the opposite. That is the true state of things right now. And the pharmaceutical industry has not even Attempted to prove otherwise.

The moderation of this forum towards pharmaceutical solutions is at least, becoming outdated, and at worst, bringing into question the motivations behind the forum.

Hoping to see a more balanced approach soon.

Last edited by namazu; 09-05-16 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: added moderator note re: thread split
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereami For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-05-16), peripatetic (09-23-16)
Old 09-05-16, 04:57 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,433 Times in 9,097 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sticky on supplements for the treatment of ADHD, Scientific Evidence/Research

Hi whereami,

Thanks for your feedback.

You're right that some of the stickies contain outdated information or links.

You're welcome to report the thread using the "report" button at the top of any post in the thread, add new information to update the thread, or start a new thread to present more current / accurate information.

You are also welcome to post to this section to request that an outdated or inaccurate sticky be updated or "unstuck", or to request that a newer, more accurate, very helpful thread be "stuck". Generally, we try to limit "sticky" threads to those that are likely to be helpful references to a large portion of the membership.

The content of the forum is largely driven by the membership. The staff do not "moderate...towards pharmaceutical solutions"; moderation serves to enforce site guidelines (which do not disparage non-pharmaceutical treatments) and to keep the peace.

ADDF maintains sections for a variety of non-pharmaceutical approaches to managing the condition, as well as several science-themed sections where pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical approaches can be discussed with varying degrees of academic formality.

If you wish to see a "more balanced" approach, you are encouraged to contribute to these sections.

Last edited by namazu; 09-05-16 at 05:09 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-05-16), Greyhound1 (09-23-16), Little Missy (09-05-16), Lunacie (09-05-16), midnightstar (09-05-16), peripatetic (09-23-16)
Old 09-23-16, 01:30 AM

Thanked 31,870 Times in 14,358 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sticky on supplements for the treatment of ADHD, Scientific Evidence/Research

Soz for the delayed reply to your concern but I'd been offline.

I'm back so here goes:

1. Why is there not a sticky with recent peer reviewed studies on the efficacy of non pharmaceutical treatments? Because nobody has sent me the draft of one to review and consider making a sticky if you want to volunteer for such a project, send me a message and I'll give some thought to how that might look, speak with the other section orange, and work with you or whomever volunteers.

I'm in no way opposed to a sticky in each treatment section with links to peer reviewed published articles on how ___(nutrition, exercise, supplements, mindfulness practices, etc) can be helpful in managing symptoms of ADHD and other mental disorder/illness. I am fully aware of such investigations existing for certain supplements and other things for psychotic disorders, for example, but do not have the bandwidth to undertake even one such sticky for one of the six treatments sections. If someone does, I'd love to be able to offer solid and vetted and balanced reference/article lists for sections.

2. I am the longest running treatments moderator (since late 2009/early 2010) and that sticky by mctavish predates my being on staff. I can't comment on why it was made a sticky. I can say that I haven't read it and, back to #1, what you suggest as being useful I agree would be, and that's the focus of what I gave to say about changing that sections sticky situation.

3. Neither I nor anyone else in treatments is moderating toward pharmacy. We are moderating what is actually contributed and merely keeping it within guidelines. Not only am I personally one to take a minimalist approach in editing or removal, but I assure you I follow only what the guidelines require. For example, the guidelines don't say you must post only statements backed by peer reviewed research...you can post opinions and personal experiences/observations...you can even be wrong you can't post on restricted topics or peddle wares or insult others...those are examples of violations and that's what's enforced...not a particular treatment approach. If you or anyone else see posts that are violating guidelines, *report them*.

But, bottom line, we only moderate what is contributed. There are thousands of contributions to the adderall section...a fraction of that number in the peer support section (and many others). If it seems there's a lopsided mess that's because the forums are basically member generated content and that's what members are posting about. If you want to see more in other treatment approaches, contribute more in them...start threads in places you want to discuss...draft compilations of research for us to consider sticking...we are only able to be as comprehensive and diverse in coverage of treatment options as members are and are interested in pursuing.

I'm on board with more information, I'd love to see more. But I'm one person and have a small child so I can't take on that additional project beyond what I've said I can do.

Hope that helps and I hope to see those sections be more active or at least contain additional useful info.

Best wishes,
-peri

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereami View Post
[MODERATOR NOTE: This post was moved from this thread to the Forum Feedback section.]

This thread is stickied because McTavish23 is one of the very first members of this forum.

The OP's post is blatantly wrong. It also goes against the basic fundamentals of scientific method. I would like to think that scientific method, logic, and facts, would be relevant to any educated and intelligent person.

Things do not just "not work" based on a perceived lack of clinical evidence.

Furthermore, it is nearly 2017. We know more now. We have studies. We have scientific information now which is Not getting stickied on this forum which is considerably more scientific and fact based than the OP's post.

What's worse, is the assertion that some of our pharmaceutical solutions are "proven", despite lack of any meaningful Longitudinal Study. In the 90's, it was understandable. By now, though, with the amount of money that has been made on them, it would be Really nice to see a study more than 3 years in length that shows Some kind of benefit to these drugs. Because the limited clinical information that we do have, either doesn't show any, or shows the opposite. That is the true state of things right now. And the pharmaceutical industry has not even Attempted to prove otherwise.

The moderation of this forum towards pharmaceutical solutions is at least, becoming outdated, and at worst, bringing into question the motivations behind the forum.

Hoping to see a more balanced approach soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (11-11-16), Greyhound1 (09-23-16), midnightstar (09-24-16), whereami (09-24-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-16, 05:36 PM

whereami will become famous soon enough

Well thank you, that was a nice response. I also lack time these days, but if I ever do get some, I'll contribute.

Your post re-assures me about this site. I am still ultimately a bit confused by the lack of non-pharmaceutical content. Because I know the content is out there. But you've put the ball in my court, so to speak, so that's all I can really ask for.

possibly this is more of an organizational issue?

An example: If I look in the "Research" topic:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=272

It would give the impression that there is no research on this forum either.

I'm not on here enough to comment on how the threads are categorized.

Maybe it's time for some Tagging?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whereami For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-24-16), namazu (09-24-16), peripatetic (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 05:53 PM

Thanked 31,870 Times in 14,358 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

you're most welcome

one other thing that plays a role in content, at least its location on here, i should mention (your question about the research section illustrates it perfectly):

many members will post their thread in a "bigger" or what they believe to be more widely read section instead of using the subheadings. this is, of course, a catch 22. they post a research paper in "general add" because they want to be sure people see it. but then nobody scrolls down to the research section because people don't put as much stuff there.

this is also the case sometimes with treatments. people will choose adult dx/tx instead of using a section in treatments. or, people will use the general section or the inattentive section in lieu of miscellaneous approaches.

sometimes things are moved and sometimes they are not moved. so, sadly, i suspect there's more about adhd research in other sections combined than there is in the section designated for it.

with generating stickies/content: you can always do things in small chunks. i know it's hard for me to think of a project as a whole and then sustain motivation to do it. maybe you find three to five solid articles. that's a great start and it can grow from there. some stickies are closed (like the ones i've made for antipsychotic's prescribing information sheets, for example) and some of them are open (like the "success stories with ___" ones we have in many medication subsections).

just more to think about and cheers for the reply!

Quote:
Well thank you, that was a nice response. I also lack time these days, but if I ever do get some, I'll contribute.

Your post re-assures me about this site. I am still ultimately a bit confused by the lack of non-pharmaceutical content. Because I know the content is out there. But you've put the ball in my court, so to speak, so that's all I can really ask for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-24-16), namazu (09-24-16)
Old 09-25-16, 03:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,283 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The theoretical section has a lot of what you are mentioning.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 09-25-16, 10:12 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,433 Times in 9,097 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

As the description states, that subforum is for "current medical research projects from not-for-profit organizations" -- that is, studies recruiting participants. We tend to get less than a handful of requests to post these each month.

As Sarahsweets suggested, you may find some of what you're looking for under one of the following headings in the Scientific, Philosophical, & Theoretical Discussions section:
  • Scientific Discussion ("This forum is limited to published/presented scientific research, in a quasi-academic format, with references where appropriate; clear and structured discourse is encouraged");
  • Science in the Media ("This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged"); or
  • Open Science and Philosophical Discussion ("This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format")
Discussions based on research can sometimes be found in other sections (e.g. Children's Diagnosis and Treatment, Women with ADHD, Autism, etc.).
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (10-04-16)