ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-15, 07:16 AM
Suspended Account

icarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of light
Request an edit that is more forgiving and easy on me timewise

I think that the time should be more generous for people to edit their posts. I am a circular thinker, and I often want to edit my post like 5 times. I know I should probably just compose my message in a word document but I hate doing that. I enjoy the feeling of being in the forum, replying direct. But I sometimes get my last and final edit (which took me awhile) rejected.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icarusinflames For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-24-16), Flory (04-28-15), midnightstar (04-28-15), namazu (04-28-15), psychopathetic (06-10-15)
Old 04-28-15, 03:34 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,095 Times in 11,711 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Request an edit that is more forgiving and easy on me timewise

I suppose you could always draft a post in MS word and post it once you're sure you've thought of everything you want to say?

Or maybe you can ask the mods to edit your post if you think of something you need adding
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)

Last edited by midnightstar; 04-28-15 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: it's getting dark and I can't see the keyboard very well now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
icarusinflames (04-28-15), namazu (06-10-15)
Old 04-28-15, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account

icarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of lighticarusinflames is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
Or maybe you can ask the mods to edit your post if you think of something you need adding
hiya midnight. how are you doing today? That's an idea! But i have a feeling the mods may start to resent all the work I send their way. I'm too obnoxious with it, I think. I even bug myself with my edits. I'm sure there's a reason they edit it, probably having to do with server response time for all?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icarusinflames For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (04-28-15), namazu (06-10-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-15, 04:36 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,095 Times in 11,711 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusinflames View Post
hiya midnight. how are you doing today? That's an idea! But i have a feeling the mods may start to resent all the work I send their way. I'm too obnoxious with it, I think. I even bug myself with my edits. I'm sure there's a reason they edit it, probably having to do with server response time for all?
Sometimes they do honour edit requests (there's been a few times I've asked for a post of mine to be edited and I've seen sometimes on other members posts it says "members request" or something similar
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-10-15)
Old 06-10-15, 02:24 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 12,642 Times in 6,234 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusinflames View Post
I think that the time should be more generous for people to edit their posts. I am a circular thinker, and I often want to edit my post like 5 times. I know I should probably just compose my message in a word document but I hate doing that. I enjoy the feeling of being in the forum, replying direct. But I sometimes get my last and final edit (which took me awhile) rejected.
haha I'm the same way! I type up a post and edit it a million times afterwards. Fixing all my typos, or explaining myself more clearly or whatever.
Fortunately for the most part the 30 minute edit window hasn't been too much of an issue for me...but I do totally get where you're coming from with this.
Also...as far as I'm aware, this is the only forum I've ever been a part of that locks you out of editing after a certain period of time. I was part of a quit smoking forum that didn't let you edit at all ()...but this is the first I know that does what it does.

Is there a reason you guys lock us out of editing after 30 minutes?
Like I said, it hasn't been much of an issue for me personally...but I am curious.

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-10-15)
Old 06-10-15, 02:59 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,458 Times in 9,115 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Is there a reason you guys lock us out of editing after 30 minutes?
Like I said, it hasn't been much of an issue for me personally...but I am curious.
Yes, there's a reason.

It's a forum populated (and moderated!) largely by ADHDers, so we get that people sometimes make typos, post impulsively and regret it, and forget things they meant to say -- hence a desire to let people make some edits. On the other hand, it's a forum populated (and moderated!) largely by ADHDers, who like instant gratification and don't like wasting their time and often work hard to express themselves.

30 minutes is often enough time for replies to start trickling in. If you then edit your post after people have replied -- especially if it's a substantive edit -- it may mean that someone else has spent time and thought responding to something that then disappears or changes -- or, alternatively, shows up quoted in original form even after you've edited it. It's confusing and frustrating to respond to something that someone said...and then unsaid!

Basically, it's a way to give everyone a fair chance to fix typos or catch impulsive posts that they wish they hadn't posted, while also ensuring some stability of the posts within threads to respect other members.

The moderators typically don't edit or delete posts unless they're in violation of guidelines (or part of an ongoing derailment) and/or put someone's safety or well-being at risk (for example, giving out identifying details or specifics of legal proceedings). If that is the case, please use the "report post" button to call the problematic post (or parts of the post) to our attention. We're happy to make the occasional edit to protect someone's well-being, though of course it's better for everyone if people don't post detailed identifying info in the first place.

If it's a case of poor word choice, changing your mind, thinking of additional details, wishing you'd said something differently, etc. -- just add a new post to the thread with an update/correction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (06-10-15), psychopathetic (06-10-15), stef (06-10-15)
Old 06-10-15, 03:05 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 12,642 Times in 6,234 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense, thanks Nams

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-10-15)
Old 06-10-15, 03:08 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,458 Times in 9,115 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
If it's a case of poor word choice, changing your mind, thinking of additional details, wishing you'd said something differently, etc. -- just add a new post to the thread with an update/correction.
Like this...

P.S. Icarusinflames, sorry not to have responded to your question sooner!

P.P.S. Did I mention that most of us mods have ADHD, too?!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (06-10-15), psychopathetic (06-10-15), stef (06-10-15)
Old 10-24-16, 06:38 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
I Also Would Like More Generous Editing Privileges...

Many times, on second thought I wish I had said things differently. And it seems especially funny for a forum involving a lot of other impulsive people that we are all more or less stuck with what we said, whereas in other forums I have posted in you can edit or delete your own posts pretty much at any time...often up to 6 months!

(The only notable problem I have seen this create was once when someone who had been a major contributor of hard news and expert analysis got mad and deleted all her own posts for the last 6 months. Some people were upset, but I thought it was completely fair, that she had affected no one else's contributions but her own, many of which were preserved in quotes anyway.)

The fact that others may have spent time replying does seem like a small consideration, but the fact is that anyone can quote exactly what it it they are replying to. And I don't much like replying to something that I know is an artifact, not necessarily what the poster would have left up if they could have modified their language.

All in all this seems like a strange reason to hold every poster to exactly what they said forever, unless they move heaven and earth to plead to change this word or that word.

You could even try letting it breathe a little more and invite comments from the peanut gallery to see how people feel they have been affected.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-24-16)