ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-16, 07:01 PM

IgotNoIdea is on a distinguished road
Should I see a Psychiatrist?

I often have troubles reading texts, i re-read them over and over again and I really don`t get it. Often times I run out of times on a test because I spend so much time trying to understand the paragraph that I`m reading or the question.

This is extremely frustrating and as I progress throughout my highschool life my subjects are starting to become more complex and require a larger attention span (which I dont have). I find myself trying my best to pay attention to what the teacher says bust I cant seem to understand or remember anything he says whilst trying my best. I am an extreme procrastinator and never do homework (which is optional in my school).

I don`t know if it`s just lack of intrest because I can get extremely focused on things like playing videogames or other stuff that gives me adrenaline or that i`m intrested in. To top everything off my parents don`t believe add or adhd exists and think I am just bul****ting in order to abuse medication that is prescribed to people with the desiese (I don`t plan on to). Lately I have been getting into several fights with them because they are completely unreasonable and think I`m just being a little ***** that is lazy and doesnt want to study. (I really can`t control my anger and anxiety as well so I often talk back to them making them even more angry) which doesnt help.

Should I insist in going to a psychiatrist? or is it all in my head? I AM REALLY DESPERATE PLZ HELP...

Last edited by peripatetic; 10-05-16 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: paragraphs added to ease reading; no other edits.
The Following User Says Thank You to IgotNoIdea For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (10-23-16)
Old 10-23-16, 10:21 PM

Thanked 30,784 Times in 13,805 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I see a Psychiatrist?

Greetings and welcome. Have you managed to see someone since you wrote this? I hope you're doing better at this point. Again, welcome : )
Old 10-23-16, 11:30 PM
Jr Member

Mr.focus is on a distinguished road

Im not an expert so don't take my word for granted.

I had the same problem in high school. I was not diagnost with adhd yet.

In order to become more focus and have success, I would tather see a life coach or sort of coach in your school. I am not a life coach but i believe tat they make you self-aware of yourself so you can produce more.

But if other alternative don't work, you should maybe see a psychiatrist.

Hope i gave you some advice
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-16, 12:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tough one. Is there a councellor at your school or a teacher you trust. Talking with them may give you an ally.

hope you get s ome help.
Old 10-24-16, 12:56 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,229 Times in 11,127 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation

Hello and welcome, I'd say it is worth seeing a psychiatrist so if you do have ADHD or any other condition they can diagnose you
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
Old 10-29-16, 04:17 PM

graduate is on a distinguished road

It's been a couple weeks since you posted but if you are still contemplating it I'd say you should definitely go for it. There is no harm in talking to one! Best case scenario you get diagnosed correctly and can address your problem and worst case is that nothing really comes of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graduate For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-29-16)