ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-17, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,016 Times in 2,815 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone else feel they been misdiagnosed with BP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
fyi,

There's an evidence based "One Way Comorbidity" between Bipolar & ADHD, in that most people with Bipolar

also have comorbid ADHD, while the opposite is not true. Hope that helps.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Thanks Robert, that is very helpful. I had not heard that.It does not surprise me.

Can you please point me to any articles that support this position?

It is enormously difficult for a patient with diagnosed bipolar to get adequate ADHD treatment. I know that many psychiatrists in my home town (Melbourne, Australia) are utterly opposed to giving stimulants to any patient with a diagnosis of Bipolar.
A year ago I had a severe relapse of hypomania, which was due primarily to disruption of my lithium treatment when the focus shifted to my ADHD. It has been a hell of a job convincing my doctor to resume stimulants, and has taken 9 months.

I don't know if you are aware or not of the latest evidence of the benefit of lithium. There have been a series of papers published looking at not only patients on lithium treatment but also individuals exposed to ground water with high levels of lithium ( ie Lithuania-- interestingly enough).
The conclusion is that exposure to lithium in any of the range from trace levels in water to therapeutic doses for bipolar is positively correlated with lower levels of suicide, homicide and dementia.

That is a very interesting finding--- especially as the stuff is so cheap that nobody has a commercial interest in pushing it.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

Old 01-17-17, 06:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

jkimbo will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone else feel they been misdiagnosed with BP?

My therapist finally admitted to me I probably am not bipolar and could have been misdiagnosed. I can't tell you how happy I was to find someone who would consider this as possible!