ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-07, 04:39 PM

jc10101 will become famous soon enough
my tips

Well I graduated from high school back in 2000, and looking back the education system understands our needs a little better then they did 15+ years ago. where there was virtually no information available about Autistic Spectrum Disorders etc and for most of us in late 20s it's pretty much to late to fix this.

I think the best thing educational teachers can do is to volunteerly look up information and or get tg about the list of syndromes and disorders in this area and look out for the following basic symptoms of

*marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as
eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to
regulate social interaction
*failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental
level
*a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or
achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing,
or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
*lack of social or emotional reciprocity

Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests,
and activities, and anxiety.

and if teachers recognize anyone with the following, Simply do not call them to read out of books, up to the front of the class to do presentations. and if it is a group activity where everyone needs to participate, send us to the library and let us independently do the work especially the computer and internet if it's available.

If we forget to do homework or simply do not do it, it's not cause we are lazy, it's cause our nervous system just will not let us do it or we just may be overloaded.

Also please be considerate to our disorder, cause #1 our nervous system one day may be so advanced that we can out-perform your other students in other classes and activities may have strengths in. such as if your a PE teacher: watch this video:
for an example of a strength some may have.

Our you a Economics teacher: Watch this video:
Smith, Nobel Prize Winner and Autistic, “Accept Us”

Science teachers watch this video:

Music teachers:
My

10 year old plays “Music of the Night” from Phantom

Most of us, Not all though Can do well and may even either outperform other students in some classes, and we may not not do well in other areas.
In my full opinion the best way to help students is make the class fun (not group activity fun) but perhaps have homework activities that is considered to be creative just as a crossword puzzle, creative writings (let them either do it on the computer or by hand, whatever they pefer and in class have have like 3-4 students from your class be able to enjoy the benefit of the library(when other classes are not in there) so this way you can help the students by shielding them from stress/anxiety.

Also for school work do not ask them to do pages and pages of work, keep it simple such as a short paragraph, a day or something and do not give extra attention to students such as do not move there desk to a less populated place in the class, if you suspect them to have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder simply cause they will just feel embarrassed you did that and they may trigger anxiety or frustration from it.

Also if the students parents or if the school has records of the student having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder and you know this, the student may do well on tests or quizzes or may not due to there strength may not be in your class. I really request that if they do poorly on a test that you do not give them a D or F but simply a no grade on it and find out where there strengths are perhaps from other classes and try to utilize it into there work, so they can do well your class. you'll be suprised on how academically great they can do in your class and even compared to other students.

Anyway just so you know I'm not a professional in this field, but I am a person who was recently diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome who graduated from High School 7 years ago, with a good GPA and strengths and certificates in areas such as the technical field and the internet.

Anyway hope this helps the teachers of our schools understand what Autistic Spectrum Disorders look like.

dx considerations:aspergers,somatization disorder,anxiety disorder,PTSD,artheritis,lumbar lordosis.

Last edited by Crazy~Feet; 08-31-07 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Clarification of terminology
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jc10101 For This Useful Post:
emmaclair94 (11-30-12), ZiggyFry (08-26-10)
Old 02-23-17, 08:01 PM

Nelson1967 is on a distinguished road
Re: High Schoolers want their Teachers to Know

Kids wish to see education fun and how they learn