ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-13, 09:13 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Posting Recommendations

As an add-on to number 5 in the original post: There are a few post titles that I wish could be automatically rejected - I know that's not technically feasible, but it is feasible for people to remember that these titles are always the wrong title for your post:

Help

Need Help

Problem

Need Advice

Advice Please

... and any similar title that doesn't actually explain what you want. If you want some help, please say exactly what kind of help, in your post's title.

Hello

Greetings

or anything similar...
[... these ones would be fine in the Introductions section, otherwise they're no good - if it's truly just you saying hello with no real content, then use this kind of title if you want - otherwise your title should always explain what's inside your post.]

P.S. A big thank you to all the moderators who work to keep this board running well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-26-13), stef (10-27-13)
Old 10-26-13, 09:52 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,433 Times in 9,097 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
As an add-on to number 5 in the original post: There are a few post titles that I wish could be automatically rejected - I know that's not technically feasible, but it is feasible for people to remember that these titles are always the wrong title for your post:

Help
[...]
Thanks, Wookiee and dvdnvwls, for reminding new and old ADDF members of this thread.

I'd like to append to dvd's suggestion the following, which comes from the "Yes, Please Do the Following!" section of the ADDF Guidelines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Use Correct Forum:
* Posting in the correct forum is vital for a more direct response. Wrongly posted posts will be moved when possible, but may also be locked or deleted with or without warning by Moderators.

Good Subject Titling:
* As ADD Forums grows, it becomes increasingly important to properly title the subject of new threads. People find the threads that they are interested in mostly by scanning the titles, even when searching with our site search engine. Titles/Subjects that are leading are not allowed. ADD Forums Moderators may change the title of any thread to assist in describing the content of the thread without notifying the member who started the thread. In some cases, a moderator may also contact the member if it is evident the member is having a problem with titling to give tips.
The moderators do occasionally exercise the option to change thread titles to make them more informative. However, such changes typically fall lower on the priority list than ensuring that new members' posts are reviewed and posted in a timely manner, peace is kept in the kingdom, etc.

So, please help yourself, and help us help you, by giving your threads informative titles that describe the content of your post or the nature of your question.

Too vague: "Help!"

Better: "Help with medication for daughter!"
OR "Help! I'm about to get fired!"
OR "Help me understand my husband."
OR "Help -- college student problems."
OR "Help -- I need somebody."

Best: "7yo daughter's Ritalin wears off too soon -- other options?"
OR "I impulsively told off my boss. Any way to avoid being fired?"
OR "How can I get my husband to wash the darn dishes?"
OR "What study strategies really work in college?"
OR "House so messy I can't find Beatles albums! Need help cleaning."

These more informative titles help members who have experience or thoughts about your situation to find your threads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-26-13), midnightstar (10-27-13)
Old 10-27-13, 05:02 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,008 Times in 11,653 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Another posting tip: please keep your title fairly short or the forum chops your title in half so you end up with something like this

"please help my daughter has add and her father doesnt believe in it and the doctor said this and family said that and blah blah blah a really long title basically repeating what they are saying in the post and the forum cuts half the title off so you only see half of the title and a random word gets chopped in half then the OP gets upset about it when they could have shortened the title down a bit
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-27-13), wonderboy (11-17-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-14, 05:29 AM
Banned

careshare is on a distinguished road

Thanks for these recommendations. I agree with you.
Old 03-30-17, 03:33 AM

mika---- is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Posting

Hey, sites confusing.

I'm new to the forum ... I think it's from a couple years ago?

Ha. No worries, this site will probably get lost in a bookmark so where in the space.
The Following User Says Thank You to mika---- For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-01-17)
Old 04-01-17, 01:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,877 Times in 11,051 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

7) Hyperactive icons. When I had a desk top computer I could tap the escape
button and it would stop anything on the screen that was moving. Now I'm on
a laptop and it doesn't work anymore. But those moving icons in the upper left
corner are So Very Distracting that I can't read that post. Or the one above it.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-01-17)
Old 04-01-17, 01:08 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
7) Hyperactive icons. ... But those moving icons in the upper left corner are So Very Distracting that I can't read that post. Or the one above it.
There is an option in the User CP to turn those off, so they won't be distracting. It will also turn off the still avatars, though.
Go to User CP >
scroll down to Settings & Options >
click Edit Options >
scroll down to Thread Display Options >
find the first box, Visible Post Elements >
find Show Avatars and uncheck the box.

It's also possible, in that section of the User CP, to turn off signatures and all images.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (04-01-17)
Old 04-01-17, 01:49 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
There is an option in the User CP to turn those off, so they won't be distracting. It will also turn off the still avatars, though.
Go to User CP >
scroll down to Settings & Options >
click Edit Options >
scroll down to Thread Display Options >
find the first box, Visible Post Elements >
find Show Avatars and uncheck the box.

It's also possible, in that section of the User CP, to turn off signatures and all images.
Thanks but I knew that. I like seeing the avatars when they're not moving ...
it helps me identify who is posting. There haven't been any moving avatars
for several years. I'd hate to loose the connection just because of one or two
distractions. Just doesn't seem ... fair.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-01-17), namazu (04-01-17)
Old 04-01-17, 04:06 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Quote:
Thanks but I knew that. I like seeing the avatars when they're not moving ...
it helps me identify who is posting. There haven't been any moving avatars
for several years. I'd hate to loose the connection just because of one or two
distractions. Just doesn't seem ... fair.
OK...well, for those few moving avatars that remain, you could try holding up an index card (or a thumb) to block the moving pictures. I do that sometimes.
Lunacie (04-01-17)
Old 04-01-17, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
OK...well, for those few moving avatars that remain, you could try holding up an index card (or a thumb) to block the moving pictures. I do that sometimes.
Yeah, I can do some things to reduce the distraction.

There are also things I can do when people make wall-o-text posts.
*Ignore it.
*Ask a mod to edit it.
*Hit quote and edit it myself, and decide whether to respond or not.
*Highlight a couple of lines of text at a time working through the post.

So yeah, I could do several things to deal with moving avatars and such.

But since this thread is based on noting things that make reading some
posts difficult, I thought I'd add one that just came up again this week.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-01-17)
Old 04-01-17, 05:54 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I can do some things to reduce the distraction.
[...]
But since this thread is based on noting things that make reading some
posts difficult, I thought I'd add one that just came up again this week.
Yes. It's good to have options, too, for when other people's quirks bump up against ours.
Little Missy (04-01-17)