ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-03, 09:05 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,073 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Autistic Disorder Symptoms

Autistic Disorder Symptoms

A total of six (or more) items from (A), (B), and (C), with at least two from (A), and one each from (B) and (C):

(A) qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

*marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
*failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
*a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest)
*lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(B) qualitative impairments in communication as manifested by at least one of the following:

*delay in, or total lack of, the development of spoken language (not accompanied by an attempt to compensate through alternative modes of communication such as gesture or mime)
*in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
*stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
*lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level

(C) restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

*encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
*apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
*stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
*Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years: (1) social interaction, (2) language as used in social communication, or (3) symbolic or imaginative play.

The disturbance is not better accounted for by Rett's Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.

Criteria summarized from:
American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

From Mental Help Net

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (02-03-09), iwakawa (04-09-13), My2Livers (08-27-09)
Old 06-14-03, 06:16 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,073 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
I was actually inspired to learn about and gather all this information because of a dear friend. She had Aspergers Syndrome, though you wouldnt know it from talking with her. I miss her terribly, as she's no longer with us, but I maintain the links of information in her memory.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-31-10), dormammau2008 (04-07-17), My2Livers (08-27-09)
Old 09-26-08, 10:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

ikgbixcal has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Autistic Disorder Symptoms

i fell like i have some of the symptoms like the not looking at ppl in the eyes not talking not wanting to be in social inviroment. the body movements. is this an example of aspergers- sum times i blink a lot, pop my jaw like opening my mouth really wide, grind my teeth my arm is in pain right now from surgury about 2months ago for sum reason i stretch it out while its hurting but it makes me feel good weird huh? its just like i have compulsive movements that i have a routein to do. i just stay in my room all the time not talking to anyone just sitting bouncing my legs and doing the body things. if you can help me how help me or give me some info but is this symptoms of aspergers? {PLEASE HELP}
Old 09-26-08, 11:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

If there is any one thing that defines asperger's syndrome it is the impairment in social interaction. look for a definite and significant impairment there. If you have it, there won't be any doubt about the impairment. If you aren't seeing a significant impairment in social interraction it probably won't fit the requirements for a diagnosis.

The next question is what to do about it. If you feel the need for a diagnosis you need to find someone specializing in AS and have them evaluate you.

So get to a doctor and get it evaluated and that should anzwer your questions.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-27-08), ikgbixcal (09-26-08), Imnapl (09-27-08), My2Livers (08-27-09), Nelson1967 (02-23-17), poppetx (10-14-17)
Old 09-28-08, 03:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikgbixcal View Post
i fell like i have some of the symptoms like the not looking at ppl in the eyes not talking not wanting to be in social inviroment. the body movements. is this an example of aspergers- sum times i blink a lot, pop my jaw like opening my mouth really wide, grind my teeth my arm is in pain right now from surgury about 2months ago for sum reason i stretch it out while its hurting but it makes me feel good weird huh? its just like i have compulsive movements that i have a routein to do. i just stay in my room all the time not talking to anyone just sitting bouncing my legs and doing the body things. if you can help me how help me or give me some info but is this symptoms of aspergers? {PLEASE HELP}
And I was the one who brought it to your attention.

Some credit, please?
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
ikgbixcal (09-28-08)
Old 09-28-08, 03:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

I have traits of Asperger's, and if you were to ask me, I'd say I have it.

But some things that are considered "clear signs of AS" (as in, not exactly DSM requirements, but otherwise seen as strong evidence) are mysteriously absent. Any stimming I do is mild and likely to be the result of anxiety in social situations, like rubbing hands together, rearranging things on a table, quickly "fixing" my hair.

To my recollection, I never had the hand-flapping in childhood. As far as eye contact, OTOH, the first time I was able to look people in the eye effectively was around 17 years old. Mind you, I still have definite trouble with it, but I have learned ways to do it when "needed."

I have a definite impairment in social interaction, I tend to ask myself "what does this person REALLY mean?" when social cues are expressed. Do I *miss* social cues? At this point anyway, I know something nonverbal is expressed, but I can't understand *what exactly* it is.

I suppose the best way to describe it is I don't get the big picture of more difficult kinds of social interaction (difficult social interaction I define is same-age interaction with NTs.) To me it's just "there" kind of, and I have to deal with it, and a lot of it sucks. However, trouble with social cues can also be part of ADD.

What's more is you can define much of my social impairment within the "social anxiety" category, which is in the DSM--and lots of people with ADD have social anxiety.

Onto the stereotypes, it's all "missing" there as well. Crap in math, utter crap (I mean REALLY bad); crap in school; crap in science; poor logical thinking.

I would say my sensory problems are mild at best, I might occasionally close my ears when a fire siren passes by, and I hate wearing certain kinds of fabric, I don't like to be touched unexpectedly, but nothing major.

It all seems to reek of "who would notice?" if I didn't bring it SPECIFICALLY to someone's attention. Shrinks don't like people to do their job for them. True, no shrink has ever said anything about Asperger to me. But then again the first time I was told I had ADD was only 2 years ago, and I'm 27 now... seems like they haven't been doing a good job with me, eh?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
ikgbixcal (09-28-08), latestart (07-24-14), poppetx (10-14-17)
Old 09-29-08, 06:53 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

I'm going to base this in what I've read about the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders. I'm no clinician, but I've learned a lot and I'm willing to share it.

On the subject of stereotypies. A stereotypie is a nonfunctional behavior. Things like rocking, hand flapping , etc. Not everyone on the spectrum has them, but a lot of people who are on the spectrum do. Also, sometimes things that you might pass off as a motor tic or ocd ritual really fall under the cover of being a stereotyped behavior. It all depends on the person. It might help to consider why people on the spectrum have stereotypies in the first place. The behavior is voluntary, and some say their stereotypies brings them a way to relieve stress, or that it just feels good to do it, so they do their stereotypies.

As to stereotypes of what autism is suposed to be like I don't think that an experienced clinician is likely to fall into the trap of expecting all autistics to be alike. The truth of it is that different people are VERY different. But in the case of autism, there are some definitive traits that are well known.

When it comes to being diagnosed with autism, the clinician looks for a substantial impairment. If there is no impairment , there is no disorder.

When impairment is present, the clinician is going to be looking for a diagnosis that fits the symptoms. If the requirements for autism are met then perhaps a diagnosis for autism is in order. But if the symptoms are better accounted for by some other disorder then autism is usually not diagnosed.

The bottom line is 1) a substantial impairment and 2) the symptoms are best explained by a diagnosis of autism.

Me
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-30-08)
Old 09-30-08, 04:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Would repetitive rituals/routines (daily and usually in a predictable order) fit the bill for a stereotypie?

If that's the case, I fit that one big time.
Old 09-30-08, 07:53 PM

From what I'm read, they just might.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
Would repetitive rituals/routines (daily and usually in a predictable order) fit the bill for a stereotypie?

Old 03-29-09, 08:54 PM

dorian_deficit is on a distinguished road

I've read/heard that the classic Aspie symptoms aren't always relatable to girls. Ex., girls are considered more social in nature, and better conditioned in this area, therefore their social lacking is less considerable than boys with the same Dx.

Can anyone recommend any good reads on girs/ women with Aspergers?

Thanks in advance.

"Be wary of passing the judgment: obscure. To find something obscure poses no difficult, elephants and poodles find many things obscure."
Georg C. Lichtenberg
Old 03-31-09, 05:56 PM

A google search can turn up a few sites for women and girls with Aspergers. There is not a lot available on the subject. I personally know a young lady who has AS and she definitely is a little more social than what you might expect. Even so, she is clearly on the autism spectrum.

http://www.byparents-forparents.com/...ome-girls.html

http://autismaspergerssyndrome.suite...rgers_syndrome

http://www.yourlittleprofessor.com/girls.html

http://www.aspergeradults.ca/aspiewomen.html

http://aspergerwomenassociation.com/

http://www.aspergerfriends.com/AspergersAdults.html

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian_deficit View Post
I've read/heard that the classic Aspie symptoms aren't always relatable to girls. Ex., girls are considered more social in nature, and better conditioned in this area, therefore their social lacking is less considerable than boys with the same Dx.

Can anyone recommend any good reads on girs/ women with Aspergers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-17, 08:03 PM

Nelson1967 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post

My Dr did not even look into this at least even though I got epilepsy
Old 04-05-17, 10:52 PM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

I have some traits of Asperger's Syndrome, but I doubt I'd qualify for a diagnosis since I've maintained peer relationships and can get by socially. At times, I'm very extroverted and can easily grasp, irony, sarcasm and most non verbal communications. I've managed to learn a "social mode" that I can use to get by.

My autistic-like traits include:

- Some impairment in empathy (I scored a bit low on this scale on the MMPI-2)
- Sometimes I take things literally or I misinterpret social cues. Sometimes my misunderstanding leads to gullibility.
- I vividly daydream or drift off into thoughts, and have imaginary conversations with myself.
- I can be very anal about weird things, I.e., I feel compelled to put my daughter's crayon toys in proper order, yet my desk at work is disorganized.
- I get overwhelmed when too many people are around. I do best with one or two people at a time.
- Certain sounds and stimuli drive me crazy.
- As a kid, I memorized the Thomas Guide and drew my own intricate road maps. I perseverate on weird interests and I'm a treasure trove of obscure, yet functionally useless knowledge.
- I "stim." A lot. I repeat certain words numerous times, I jump up from my seat, I randomly dance, occasionally blink in an exaggerated manner, I pace and I talk to myself.
- I was socially awkward growing up.
- I'm a bit clumsy and was never any good at sports.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bouncingoffwall For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-06-17)
Old 04-07-17, 05:12 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
Wink Re: Autistic Disorder Symptoms

if your a high fountiioning aspurger then you wont show much,,,but you still have signs....if you can afford the test then have iot done...i would and I have a few signs myself
Old 05-02-17, 10:59 PM

shinkansen1966 will become famous soon enough

I have ADHD and autism spectrum disorder.

My ADHD doctor noticed autism spectrum and arranged for a diagnosis. When asked him what autism symptoms he noticed, he said narrow patterns of interest.

Rather than see this as one big comorbidity, I seperate out the symptoms. Either something is due to my ADHD or something else is due my ASD.