ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-21-13, 09:33 PM
Contributor

psychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dealing with grief and ADHD

It was really helpful for me to acknowledge here that I had grief.... To realise that and accept that's how I felt.

Having ADHD myself and knowing in my heart for a long time that my daughter had ADHD too I thought I would only feel happiness and relief when she was finally officially diagnosed.

I wasn't expecting grief.

I guess the diagnosis makes things 100% real and nothing that will magically go away.... And I wish I could spare my daughter the struggle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychokitty For This Useful Post:
BlessedMommy (05-26-14), Dizfriz (11-22-13), Lunacie (11-21-13)
Old 11-22-13, 06:10 PM

marathonmom is on a distinguished road

I am so glad that I found this forum and post. My wonderful 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD combined about a month ago. I have known something was up since she was 2. Even though I wasn't surprised by her diagnosis, I was so sad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marathonmom For This Useful Post:
BlessedMommy (05-26-14), Dizfriz (01-31-14), psychokitty (11-24-13)
Old 05-19-14, 10:29 AM

BlessedMommy is on a distinguished road

This post is very helpful. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD last week. I have been crying off and on ever since. I knew in my heart all along that she had ADHD but hearing the therapist say it out loud just broke my heart. I feel so isolated too. None of my close friends have kids with this and i feel like I have no one to talk to. So happy to find these boards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlessedMommy For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-19-14), LynneC (05-19-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-14, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMommy View Post
This post is very helpful. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD last week. I have been crying off and on ever since. I knew in my heart all along that she had ADHD but hearing the therapist say it out loud just broke my heart. I feel so isolated too. None of my close friends have kids with this and i feel like I have no one to talk to. So happy to find these boards.
Welcome. I think you will find the forum to be a lot of help as so many others have.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Just go to the appropriate forum section and ask away. You may be quite surprised at the help and support you will get.

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
BlessedMommy (05-26-14), LynneC (05-19-14)
Old 07-14-14, 09:50 PM
Jr Member

GAmom3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this post - very helpful. I catch myself caught in thinking about San Francisco too much sometimes . . . what would life be like if we could just let DS go play with his peers without watching over him so closely? What would life be like if all the kids were still at the same school, rather than the one with ADHD at a different school? What would our family life be like if we could just all be with each other, interacting with each other "normally"?

It's not productive at all to be thinking "what if?". I believe about myself that I'm not caught up in the idealized, "must have a perfect family", but I also sometimes do just wish we could hit "normal", if not perfect. Helpful to know it's normal to grieve what isn't our path.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAmom3 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (07-15-14)
Old 09-28-15, 12:15 PM

CanadianDad is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this.

Just read this. It really is hitting home for me right now. Son was diagnosed with ADHD and EF LD back in March, though we knew something was up for a while and he'd been getting speech therapy for about a year or so prior. When initially diagnosed it was tough, but at least we knew what was up, and being able to plan was an enormous relief to me. By the time he finished Grade1 in June he seemed to be making positive movement, however, with the start of Grade2, it's almost like starting over again for him. He has a lot of Anxiety, and barely talks to other kids or play with them at recess. It just breaks my heart, to the point where my wife has told me I have to find someone to talk to professionally. I feel my main area of worry is the unknowns of how he will be 10 or 15 years from now. I'm sure that my Anxiety is partly where he gets his, and on top of that my wife and I are very introverted, so add the two of us together, add some booster juice and you pretty much have our Son. Luckily for me, the wife is a rock. Though she sweats his troubles too, she is convinced he's going to be okay. He's happy when at home, is concerned about others feelings and even though quite, seems to be liked by some other kids.
I just need to get past my issues right now to able to concentrate on his.
Old 09-28-15, 04:13 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

CanadianDad:

Don't be ashamed to feel how you really feel. You can't just suddenly feel how you're told to feel, even if sometimes it seems like it would be better to be able to do that.

Worrying about the way things might be in 10 or 15 years... While I acknowledge that you do feel that way, I think I have to mention that that is so far from the present that you can't possibly predict it or even have coherent thoughts about it other than generally hoping that things will turn out all right.

The very best thing you can do for your son's future prospects is to help turn the present moment into a good place for him to be.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
CanadianDad (09-28-15), namazu (09-28-15)
Old 09-28-15, 04:33 PM

CanadianDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
CanadianDad:

Don't be ashamed to feel how you really feel. You can't just suddenly feel how you're told to feel, even if sometimes it seems like it would be better to be able to do that.

Worrying about the way things might be in 10 or 15 years... While I acknowledge that you do feel that way, I think I have to mention that that is so far from the present that you can't possibly predict it or even have coherent thoughts about it other than generally hoping that things will turn out all right.

The very best thing you can do for your son's future prospects is to help turn the present moment into a good place for him to be.
I agree with you 100%. Like I told my wife, I know exactly what I would tell someone if they were in my shoes, but for some reason it's hard for me to process what I know is right into actually feeling it.

However, I can assure you. My wife and I are 100% behind being there for my son and providing whatever support he needs and getting whatever (scientifically proven) help he needs. My whole goal is to be the type of father I can truely be proud of.

Thanks again for the feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianDad For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-28-15)
Old 03-14-17, 11:00 AM
Jr Member

Petite is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the awesome post. I didn't realise I was grieving for my child's possible ADHD diagnosis until I accidentally disclosed it to someone for the first time and I broke down and cried...
Old 05-16-17, 11:31 AM

vibrantflame85 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this insightful post. It's so accurate. For years, I wondered if there was something different with my middle son S. Call it mother's intuition or whatever, I kept getting this nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right. But it was easier to believe that it was just a phase, or that his older brother was mature for his age so S seemed immature by comparison. Now that he has been officially diagnosed, I keep fluctuating between depression and acceptance, but at least now I know that thanks to this post.