ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-17, 03:38 AM

Micheleb is on a distinguished road
Diagnosed at sixty

Hi all,
I am a retired woman who was diagnosed just last week, but of course I've always known something was "wrong" with me ! I'm trying to enjoy my new life but I'm sharing care, with my sister, of our 91 yr mother who has dementia. it's hell. Of course, I'm exhausted, why I had to leave my job early, only six months early though ! My psychiatrist is wisely making have a battery of tests and counseling with a health change management psychologist before I go on meds, specifically Vyvanse. Vyvanse sounds pretty good from the reading I've done.
Anyhow, any advise/comments from fellow adders re coping with caring for demented parents or experience with Vyvanse would be very appreciated.
Also love to hear from any other fellow oldies.
Cheers
Michele B
Old 05-16-17, 08:15 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,291 Times in 11,172 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation
Re: Diagnosed at sixty

Welcome to the forumm
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
Old 05-16-17, 10:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,678 Times in 10,948 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. I was only diagnosed myself with ADHD at age 58 and with anxiety
disorder at age 60. Finally knew what had been wrong all those years, like
you I knew there was something different, but everything I researched my
family said "nope, not that."

My dad had dementia, but I live too far away to have helped with his care.
And I have two special needs grandkids that I've been helping to raise since
my daughter and I are both divorced.

Just before the ADHD diagnosis I found that fish oil supplements (Omega 3)
actually make my symptoms quite a bit better so I've never tried any of the
stimulants. Sorry I'm not helpful, but just wanted to say HI from one senior
citizen to another.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (05-16-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-17, 11:32 AM

RextheDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleb View Post
Hi all,
I am a retired woman who was diagnosed just last week, but of course I've always known something was "wrong" with me ! I'm trying to enjoy my new life but I'm sharing care, with my sister, of our 91 yr mother who has dementia. it's hell. Of course, I'm exhausted, why I had to leave my job early, only six months early though ! My psychiatrist is wisely making have a battery of tests and counseling with a health change management psychologist before I go on meds, specifically Vyvanse. Vyvanse sounds pretty good from the reading I've done.
Anyhow, any advise/comments from fellow adders re coping with caring for demented parents or experience with Vyvanse would be very appreciated.
Also love to hear from any other fellow oldies.
Cheers
Michele B

Hi Michele. I can understand your concerns - I was just diagnosed three weeks ago at age 47. I've been put on Vyanese or whatever it's called. ( You know, I'm ADHD, I can't be bothered to stop and check the spelling. ) - it's not been that long for me, but the change is apparent to those around me and somewhat less apparent to me. Although, that said - there's no doubt that it's made me more calm, mentally and able to "chill" more without as much anxiety and worry. Now I can concentrate on one thing at a time, instead of (involuntarily) juggling 30 things in my brain.

I will say that it is taking some getting used to though. It feels a little like being ... well,... dull, really. Not zoned out. Not a zombie. ( I'm only on 20mg) but just not quite as sharp as before. Not that I guess i need to be any sharper than this ( on the meds) but it does feel like I'm "coasting" a bit.

When I say "coasting" - it makes me so mentally relaxed that I'm no longer worried about many things - and I guess somewhere along the way I equated worry with "caring." Now, sometimes if I'm doing something, like typing this - I'm only thinking about what I'm doing right now, this second. After 47 years of having a brain trying that felt like it was trying to do so much, it's amazing, a little scary and a little unsettling to suddenly just coast through the day feeling more relaxed and less aggitated at all the little things.

I know my experience won't be like others, and I'm sure more people will be along to tell their experiences with it, or in general. Welcome to the "family?" I guess?
Lunacie (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow is on a distinguished road

I'm 52 but was diagnosed at age 35. I haven't been on meds since 2011 but the symptoms were becoming unbearable. You'll find that not only will you be more focused, but you will be able to process stress better and it's amazing what the meds do to help the anxiety.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-16-17), RextheDog (05-16-17)