ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-17, 11:42 AM

ManOfTeal is on a distinguished road
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away...

I need a catchy title so there ya go.

Anyway, I have ADD (without hyperactivity, however they are classifying that now). I was first diagnosed when I was in second grade at roughly 7 years old. Back then, 1982-ish, people were generally pretty ignorant of what ADD was and the condition was typically labeled as a behavior problem whose remedies typically consisted of corporeal punishment ranging from hand spankings to, "getting the belt." Fortunately I had a very progressive 2nd grade teacher who was able to notice the signs of what a kid with ADD showed so they put me on Ritalin. Oh how my grades soared and my "behavior problems" disappeared once that happened.

As time went on and I grew up I gradually upped my dose of Ritalin to compensate for my weight, I guess that's how it is/was done. I pretty much coasted through grade school never being an overachiever, or an underachiever but doing just enough not to get noticed in particular as a general rule. This was by design. Socially, I had a few really good friends, and I met my girlfriend now wife during my Junior year in high school.

Once I got to college, something changed, in Georgia, the lottery funds your college education as long as you maintain a "B" average. I realized that if I wanted to stay in college, and stay with the love of my life, I needed to take my education seriously. So before my first college class I decided that instead of taking the 20mg of Ritalin that I was prescribed that only got me by in the past, I was going to take 40mg, or 2 pills. Relax folks, once I realised the benefits of the higher dose I informed my doctor and he was completely on board. Eventually I moved on from Ritalin to Adderall as my classes got increasingly more difficult. With the help of my girlfriend now wife and the ADD meds I was able to be the first person in my family to graduate from college. Sometimes I wonder if my meds got the college diploma instead of me, but that's not important right now.

Today I am married to my high school sweetheart with 2 lovely kids, my boy also has ADD and we diagnosed him early before he started school and he is in advanced classes now as a result because he is controlling his ADD with meds from the beginning. I am an IT consultant, taking Vyvanse every day. I have up days and down days just like everyone else but with my meds and the coping skills I have learned over the years I am happy, healthy, and getting more wise the older I get.

Glad this site exists.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManOfTeal For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-08-17)
Old 06-08-17, 01:33 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,272 Times in 11,158 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation
Re: A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away...

Hello and welcome
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
Old 06-08-17, 02:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,356 Times in 12,692 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

A happy story...
Or happy enough! !!!

Welcome to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-17, 01:47 AM

Sammo1 is on a distinguished road

I'm from that same era where ADD wasn't heard of at all where I'm from. I wasn't clinically diagnosed until I was 33. I often wonder how my life may have turned out had there been more knowledge about it at the time. My life didn't turn out bad but I've been through a lot of struggle and it was mostly with myself, but it did affect others around me. Once I was diagnosed and started treatment everything changed. Life became easier to manage. I was able to set goals and achieve them. I became a responsible citizen and was enjoying the ability to be that person. But I thought I wouldn't need treatment anymore and stopped therapy because I "knew all I need to know". Well that went really bad, really quick. I threw away my family and moved 3 states away and started fresh again.
I still have been without treatment due to lack of insurance and no desire really to care. I recently started alcohol recovery and have been sober for 3 years. I thought that would help certain areas in my life I was having problems with and it did for a the most part but I still struggle hard with everything. I've been looking back on when I was getting the proper treatment and coaching, and how much it would benefit myself and others.
I am greatful that you were fortunate to have a very knowledgeable teacher at a young age. This story has opened my eyes and mind in a few ways. I have a 4 yr old son that has shown symptoms of ADHD/ADD. I have noticed the signs for a couple years but in the back of my head thought, "he's just young he will grow out of it with discipline." But I'm at the point where discipline has turned into spankings. And that has only short term effects. I was against even the thought of getting him put in meds at such a young age. After reading this post and how much it has helped you succeed in life with everything and also is helping your son, I feel like I would be holding my son back a great deal ignoring these symptoms. He has been getting therapy for social anxiety for 2 years now and it has helped but I'm starting to think it's more. Thank you for this post. I am greatful to hear stories like this.
Old 07-05-17, 02:13 AM

Sammo1 is on a distinguished road

I'm from that same era where ADD wasn't heard of at all where I'm from. I wasn't clinically diagnosed until I was 33. I often wonder how my life may have turned out had there been more knowledge about it at the time. My life didn't turn out bad but I've been through a lot of struggle and it was mostly with myself, but it did affect others around me. Once I was diagnosed and started treatment everything changed. Life became easier to manage. I was able to set goals and achieve them. I became a responsible citizen and was enjoying the ability to be that person. But I thought I wouldn't need treatment anymore and stopped therapy because I "knew all I need to know". Well that went really bad, really quick. I threw away my family and moved 3 states away and started fresh again.
I still have been without treatment due to lack of insurance and no desire really to care. I recently started alcohol recovery and have been sober for 3 years. I thought that would help certain areas in my life I was having problems with and it did for a the most part but I still struggle hard with everything. I've been looking back on when I was getting the proper treatment and coaching, and how much it would benefit myself and others.
I am greatful that you were fortunate to have a very knowledgeable teacher at a young age. This story has opened my eyes and mind in a few ways. I have a 4 yr old son that has shown symptoms of ADHD/ADD. I have noticed the signs for a couple years but in the back of my head thought, "he's just young he will grow out of it with discipline." But I'm at the point where discipline has turned into spankings. And that has only short term effects. I was against even the thought of getting him put in meds at such a young age. After reading this post and how much it has helped you succeed in life with everything and also is helping your son, I feel like I would be holding my son back a great deal ignoring these symptoms. He has been getting therapy for social anxiety for 2 years now and it has helped but I'm starting to think it's more. Thank you for this post. I am greatful to hear stories like this.