ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-17, 03:33 PM

girlthroughtime is on a distinguished road
Re: I am not an addict, I have ADHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
My personal thoughts in this thread are not meant to discourage anyone who considers themselves an "addict", to help themselves avoid using addictive substances, all disagreements, thoughts and approaches that work for you are appreciated.

I just think being ADHD, is the underlying reason for me abusing addictive substances.

In other words, ADHD led to substance abuse.

About the age of 35, I was diagnosed with AD(H)D and started taking ADHD medication.

For at least 25 years before I was diagnosed, I used a lot of addictive substances.

About the age 7-10 I remember having my first cravings to use addictive substances, although at the time I had no understanding why.

If I was never diagnosed having ADHD, I would still have the same problems.

(It still took me about 10 years, til about the age of 45, before I stopped using addictive substances)

Now at age 46, this year I have finally figured out the right amount and type of ADHD medication and only take ADHD medication.

For the first time I do not use any addictive substances, to self medicate.

I now really understand that I was self medicating all those years because I have ADHD.

I know that those substances are bad for me and I cannot take those substances, ever.

I am still working on behavioural addictions that I have developed over the years (overeating,etc), but with the right medication and breathing techniques, etc, I have been slowly making progress on these types of addictions, as well.

While I understand and do not deny what so ever that I must avoid using the addictive substances.

I do not consider myself an addict, in the way society views addicts, i have ADHD and taking my medication is a good thing.

And that makes me feel really good about myself.

m
First off, good for you! I think most importantly you obviously feel much better about yourself because you have overcome your addictions.

Secondly, how did you come about your diagnosis? Did you recognize your addictions at first, deny them?
The Following User Says Thank You to girlthroughtime For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (06-18-17)
Old 06-18-17, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlthroughtime View Post
First off, good for you! I think most importantly you obviously feel much better about yourself because you have overcome your addictions.

Secondly, how did you come about your diagnosis? Did you recognize your addictions at first, deny them?
I explicitly remember having cravings to abuse substances and symptoms of AD(H)D since about the age of 7*.

-What partly causes my AD(H)D related Addicition?

AD(H)D.

-What partly causes my AD(H)D?

Under-aroused primary SEEKING system partly causes, secondary lack of general motivation (AD(H)D)((addiction), and tertiary lack of self-motivation.(AD(H)D)(addiction).

-What are some partial causes of my under-aroused primary SEEKING system, secondary lack of general motivation, and tertiary lack of self-motivation, in early life?

Below are some possible partial bottom up factors that when chronically stimulated by internal and/or external emotional experiences, may negatively influence number and density of dopamine receptors of primary SEEKING system, secondary feelings of general motivation involved in learning and memory , and tertiary self-regulation functions involved in self-motivation, self-awareness, etc.

(Chronically over-aroused RAGE system)
(Chronically over-aroused FEAR system)
(Chronically under-aroused CARE system)
(Chronically over-aroused GRIEF system)
(Chronically under-aroused PLAY system)

Development depending on bottom up inherited hypersensitive temperament and early individual experiences.

In short, in other words, Addiction is an AD(H)D morbidity.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-18-17 at 06:54 PM..
Old 06-24-17, 07:34 PM
Jr Member

Amphitrite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Dude View Post

But I do have ADHD. After years of wrapping my head around what that means, I can't escape the idea that ADHD itself is a form of addiction.

Break it down. Addiction is a chemical dependence. You need something that ultimately gets the right chemicals flowing in your brain that make you feel good. The lack that you're filling might be chemical itself, or it might be an emotional need or psychological vulnerability, but it ends up as chemicals in the brain that give you some sort of "ahh, that's better" feeling.

ADHD supposedly is a deficiency of the "reward" system in the brain. (Sounds like addiction...) We need more stimulation than NTs. We give it to ourselves by letting our minds latch onto distractions, which are more interesting (more rewarding) than the drudgery we know we need to be doing.

Many of the behaviors are similar between ADHD and addiction. Like the time I knew I had to leave to take my son to an appointment, but simply couldn't tear myself away from the internet and ended up being a half hour late. Like ADHDers hiding their behavior from their peers and loved ones. And continuing to let their - let's just say it, ADDICTIVE behavior - ruin their lives when they can see it happen as it happens. Choice can be as difficult for someone with ADHD as it is for someone others see as an addict.

Stopping the ADHD cycle can be as hard as trying to stop using.

Certainly there can be a wide variation in severity. Being late for an appointment is not as big an issue as forgetting your wedding. But the mechanics of these situations are similar. It seems to me that the only difference between addiction and ADHD is the nature of the internal - and ultimately external - chaos wrought by the chemical dependence in the brain.

Let's say you need cocaine to feel good, and indulging in it negatively affects your life in major ways. I need the adrenaline from a fast motorcycle ride, or to lose myself in designing some new device, or to have wild sex, or to get into an intense internet debate, or, or, or, etc., and indulging in those things has a big negative impact on my life. It makes no sense to call you an addict and not think I'm one too.

ZD
I completely agree with you, I couldn't have said it better.

Last edited by namazu; 06-25-17 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: quote consistency
The Following User Says Thank You to Amphitrite For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (07-01-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-17, 01:18 PM
Contributor

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

i really don't care am i addict or not

if i can afford solution, if solution is sustainable . It doesn't matter what i use and how long i use that thing . I just want to live quality because people live only live once , they won't give me 1million dollar if i dont use medicine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-25-17), mildadhd (07-06-17), Pilgrim (07-01-17)
Old 07-06-17, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

So I went to get $20 dollars of groceries and I walked past a dollar store, and I craved the dopamine/anandamide of a chocolate bar.

So I go in the dollar store and carmel cakes are 62 cents.

"What a deal I," thought.

So I buy $20 of carmel cakes, and forgot about groceries.

And as we had Carmel cakes for supper, I thought, "Okay, I have to admit I have an addictive personality."

But I had ADHD first.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-06-17 at 06:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-06-17)