ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-17, 04:10 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Amphetamine and Pain: pain reception dysfunction and psychopathology

An area of personal scientific interest and inquiry for me is the correlation of possible dysregulation of pain receptors… How we perceive pain, both emotionally and physically, and its correlation, or possible correlation, to psychological disorders, such as major depressive disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, and ADHD.

It seems to me that most scientific inquiry still studies the antiquated
"Tried and True" serotonin system, along with norepinephrine, and some basic inquiry into dopamine

(expand beyond that, and you will find, very little, as of today)

Although these areas (pain perception and its correlation to psychopathology) obviously can be considered associated with some psychological disorders, more studies are underway to investigate a possible correlation.

The paucity in literature, with respect to substance P, other specific non-discussed, receptors of dopamine, and how the brain -specifically regulates pain- and it's possible correlation with psychological disorders, is a rather new field of study.

You may find someone talking about dopamine, and never heard of substance P

But, many scholars have found that there is a clear model of:

* disrupted emotional and physical modulation of pain and psychopathology *

Faulty modulation correlates, most often, with the following:

brainstem nuclei ** (Substance P) **
orbitofrontal cortex

And..even though this is a very broad statement, the --"limbic system"-- itself.

Some research tends to suggest that Adderall (amphetamine) helps control chronic pain in some individuals, especially those with ADHD, and specifically those who have major depressive disorder, and fibromyalgia in addition to ADHD, through its dopamine altering qualities… (And other mechanisms that we are not even aware of today p.... )

I sincerely apologize if this post was too scientific in nature, too lengthy in both scope and context.

I simply feel this is an area that deserves, highly warrants, more intensive study and research,
as I personally find this area of research fascinating.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wonderboy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-06-17), mildadhd (08-12-17), Robertpaulsen (10-05-17), WhiteOwl (10-06-17)