ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-17, 08:13 PM

00maddog is on a distinguished road
Jerry from Bristol TN

Hi everyone I'm Jerry and this is my first post! I'm 38, fix cars for a living, and found this forum while googling side effects of a med I started today. Sorry for the book, but I read the stickys and it said we're here for support and to share away! I tried to break it up some, thanks for reading! Jerry

I've struggled with ADHD my entire life. I was only recently diagnosed though, ironically by a psychologist I was seeing for addiction of my own accord. After a few meetings, he ignored all my pleas and blame about everything in my life, interrupted me mid rant, and told me I had ADHD. Actually he said "no, you have severe ADHD". It was so off the wall at the time and it blindsided me. But I'm from Alaska, and my mother homeschooled me until middle school. In hindsight I realize she did this to keep me from being diagnosed ADHD, and force medicated. She was a hippy and didn't trust the dosages or the medicines. The psychologist told me to find a physician that could prescribe straterra, start that and see him in two weeks.

I did this, and my new found primary physician (I had just moved from Alaska to tn) heard me out, said she liked straterra as well, and gave me a loading packet. It seemed fine almost eerie at times which was ok, but everytime my dose went up I could hardly pee for two or three days. Finally when I reached the normal dosage it lasted a week and I quit taking it cold turkey. No fun lol.

Then I tried Wellbutrin, and it made me happy but not anymore collected. She said about all that was left are stimulants, like adderol. She knew I struggled with addiction though, and said that's why she tried the others first. Anyway I ended up wanting to try it and she started me at 5mg. The problem was, I didn't have insurance at the time. So I had to get a generic, and they were small crushable blue pills. They also were not xr. I should also note that by this time the psychologist was out of the picture because as it turned out my doctor seemed like she had way more knowledge and savvy in all this stuff than he ever did.

I ended up abusing them. A month later when I returned to the doctor, I told her the whole story, about how a week later all 30 were gone and my nose was blue. (is this ok to say here?) She said she knew, and that's why she had only given me 5mg. Lol. I was frustrated at myself, and I told her I didn't want any meds for my ADHD and I was going to figure it out. She supported that.

Well that was a year ago, and I finally decided to try again, as I have insurance now and realized I might be able to afford the xr. My life is still chaotic, and I'm tired of it. I have a close friend that takes adderol and it works wonders for him. So I returned to the same doctor a year later. It almost seemed as if she'd expected me sooner lol. She started me at 15mg xr and I took my first one today.

That's what led me here, is I'm sitting here at home googling it to try and mentally prepare myself for the drug. I have an addictive personality, so I am also trying to prepare and ensure that i can take this as intended and actually help with the ADHD. I'm in a lot better mental state than I was last year as well so I have high hopes for this. I'd love to finally find some peace with my jumbled thoughts. I don't want to look like an idiot to my doctor again too so there's that lol. Anyway glad to meet you all and seems like a cool forum!
The Following User Says Thank You to 00maddog For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-18-17)
Old 08-18-17, 10:38 PM

Thanked 32,217 Times in 14,555 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jerry from Bristol TN

welcome to the forums!
Old 08-18-17, 10:48 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,718 Times in 8,869 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Jerry from Bristol TN

Welcome to the neighborhood!

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Sponsored Links