ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-17, 02:45 PM
Jr Member

julyguy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy New to understanding ADD/HD

Hello All,

I'm 47 and this is the first ADD forum I've jointed and attempt to understand these disorders. I was recently in my psych doctors office and there was a deck of cards with questions about ADD/HD and I answered yes to 13 out of 20.

I can't remember a time where someone was talking to me and I did not zone out and completely miss something or all of what they said. I have to make up an answer or comment to show them I was listening. I feel like an idot that I can't pay attention to what they are saying. My mind goes a million miles a minute and it exhausts me. I can't take naps in the afternoon either - i'm tired but my mind does not rest.

I was a B & C student growing up and could not pay attention in class and was distracted by all the negative thoughts or ideas whirling around in my head. I did not go to college - I tried - had to record the classes but became too overwhelmed.

Wellbutrin has been like a miracle drug for me at first. When I first started taking it there was peace and calm and confidence. It slowly went away but still helps my depression considerably. I've had positive responses to Strattera too. I get obsessed about some activities and thoughts that I can't let go of. I can't relax - even a walk in the woods would not be relaxing because my mind would still be going a million miles a minute.

I've also been a terrible lip bitter since about 9. My doctor says it sounds like obsessive compulsive. My other psych diagnoses are MDD, bipolar 2, bad social anxiety, possibly OCD, alcoholism. I like alcohol because my mind calmed down. My rooms is always a mess and I constantly loose things, cannot sit still at home, always getting up because I forgot to do this or need to get water, or forgot to feed the dog, or need to turn on the AC, or have to go pee, need to do this and that and this and that.

Anyway, it seems to be getting worse with age. I feel like i'm ADD but I do tend to get very depressed and not sure if that is part of ADD. I'd like to understand more so that perhaps I can stop blaming myself for being stupid or doing dumb impulsive things. I come across very quiet and shy.

I have a high paying job and am able to keep them.

Has any of this been similar to someone else's experience(s)?

Kyle
Old 08-21-17, 04:30 PM
Jr Member

Beachnt is on a distinguished road
Re: New to understanding ADD/HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyguy View Post
Hello All,

I'm 47 and this is the first ADD forum I've jointed and attempt to understand these disorders. I was recently in my psych doctors office and there was a deck of cards with questions about ADD/HD and I answered yes to 13 out of 20.

I can't remember a time where someone was talking to me and I did not zone out and completely miss something or all of what they said. I have to make up an answer or comment to show them I was listening. I feel like an idot that I can't pay attention to what they are saying. My mind goes a million miles a minute and it exhausts me. I can't take naps in the afternoon either - i'm tired but my mind does not rest.

I was a B & C student growing up and could not pay attention in class and was distracted by all the negative thoughts or ideas whirling around in my head. I did not go to college - I tried - had to record the classes but became too overwhelmed.

Wellbutrin has been like a miracle drug for me at first. When I first started taking it there was peace and calm and confidence. It slowly went away but still helps my depression considerably. I've had positive responses to Strattera too. I get obsessed about some activities and thoughts that I can't let go of. I can't relax - even a walk in the woods would not be relaxing because my mind would still be going a million miles a minute.

I've also been a terrible lip bitter since about 9. My doctor says it sounds like obsessive compulsive. My other psych diagnoses are MDD, bipolar 2, bad social anxiety, possibly OCD, alcoholism. I like alcohol because my mind calmed down. My rooms is always a mess and I constantly loose things, cannot sit still at home, always getting up because I forgot to do this or need to get water, or forgot to feed the dog, or need to turn on the AC, or have to go pee, need to do this and that and this and that.

Anyway, it seems to be getting worse with age. I feel like i'm ADD but I do tend to get very depressed and not sure if that is part of ADD. I'd like to understand more so that perhaps I can stop blaming myself for being stupid or doing dumb impulsive things. I come across very quiet and shy.

I have a high paying job and am able to keep them.

Has any of this been similar to someone else's experience(s)?

Kyle
Hi Kyle and welcome, I (44yo) am new to ADHD too and will be starting on meds later this week. Your story is very similar except I dont have bipolar just depression/anxiety, and I change jobs every couple of years. The number of times I have to get up to do something before I go to sleep is nuts, at a guess i
would say on average 10 times. This is the first place where I can relate to so many other peoples experiences. Did you talk to your doctor about the cards?
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachnt For This Useful Post:
Country Girl (08-24-17)
Old 08-23-17, 03:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

When you say possibly alcoholism can you elaborate?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-17, 03:55 AM

intruder2017 is on a distinguished road

Hey hope you guys are doing good. I recently joined this forum and cant post for some reason, so i thought id post here. I got diagnosed about a couple of weeks back and it took me a while to figure out that this might be a possibility. Anyway the issue is the psychs in my country arent really experts in adhd. When i got diagnosed the doctor started me off with 1 10mg IR pill everyday for a month. From what ive read so far the general starting dose is about 2 5/10mg IR pills a day, or 10/20 xr adderall. The 10 mg pill i felt was a bit strong for me the first few days as i got a bit too energetic, and unfortunately wouldnt give me coverage for the whole day. Considering the lack of advice i had i took matters in my own hands and cut the pill in half and have been taking 5 mg pills twice a day. This has been working fine for me so far, much smoother, appetite isnt really suppressed and the teeth clenching has disappeared. My question is do you guys think that 10 mg wasnt the right dose for me or after getting used to 5 mg i should bump it up to 10 mg again. Maybe i should have gotten used to the 10 mg ?
Old 08-24-17, 03:37 PM
Jr Member

I did actually see my doctor the next day and talked her into giving me vyvanse. This is day 3 and wow it's so calming and relaxing for me. I'm wondering if the vyvanse is all I need. If I take just the vyvanse i'm focused and calm. When I take it along with the Wellbutrin it does not feel good. The Wellbutrin speeds up my mind again. I'm also taking Lamictal.
Old 08-25-17, 04:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Wellbutrin can be very overstimulating for some people, for me, it made me feel very agitated.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 08-25-17, 07:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,680 Times in 10,496 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Wellbutrin can be very overstimulating for some people, for me, it made me feel very agitated.
Me too! It made me want to unzip myself from my body and run! Horrible.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
julyguy (09-07-17)
Old 08-25-17, 05:57 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I don't like taking it with vyvanse. I'm beginning to wonder why taking stimulants are a good thing to take for ADD. The first 3 days I took it I was so calm and relaxed, smoothed out. My mind was not going crazy. Day 4 and my mind is not crazy but it felt like the vynase did nothing. Is that the high everyone talks about?
Old 08-26-17, 03:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
I don't like taking it with vyvanse. I'm beginning to wonder why taking stimulants are a good thing to take for ADD. The first 3 days I took it I was so calm and relaxed, smoothed out. My mind was not going crazy. Day 4 and my mind is not crazy but it felt like the vynase did nothing. Is that the high everyone talks about?
I dont know what you mean about "is that the high people talk about" because I havent gotten high, and most of us do not get high. Most of us wouldnt even know what a high from stimulants would be and they are not meant to get you high. If you are asking if the positives you experienced are what people talk about then I guess Id say yes. The clarity, lack of anxiety and focus among other things are what stimulants can do for people with adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
julyguy (08-30-17)
Old 08-26-17, 12:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,609 Times in 5,221 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sounds like its working

the high people talk about is increased energy to the point of being able to do a million things in a day, run around all day productively maybe some euphoria

it happens to many the first couple days of stimulants, not something to chase

it has nothing to do with what diagnoses you have or any paradoxical effect myth

so no, not the high, what you got sounds like its working smoothly
julyguy (08-30-17)
Old 08-26-17, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Friend!
I know how you feel, trust me. From what i understand Depression can be a side effect of having adhd. My big thing is procrastination , if i am doing anything that makes me hyper focus i don't even want to go use the washroom or if i am speaking to someone, oh man i tell ya if it wasn' t for my wife i would be late for a lot of things and my house would be so unorganized. My wife is my anchor. A good support system (family,friends etc) can help folks with ADHD be more stable in life but i would start looking into coping mechanism. Ask your therapist about that, see what they recommend. I have lived with this my entire life and have adapted to it, which normalized it but i am only finding out that i am different and of course its not all bad everything has pros and cons, you just have to learn what you weaknesses are and build around them and make your strengths stronger. I have no idea why i just went on this rant well hopefully it helps you
julyguy (09-07-17)