ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 08-27-17, 05:35 PM

momto8 is on a distinguished road
Just starting meds

My son was diagnosed at with ADD when he was 9 years old. We tried medication and he had pretty bad side effects including feeling sleepy. We decided to try again now that he is twelve. The Dr thought he might do better. He took his first dose of Adderall XR 5 mg. Friday at 8:00am. I homeschool him. At 9:30 at was teaching him Math he literally started falling asleep. He said he was extremely sleepy and could hardly do school. When I told him he could take a break he just laid on the couch which is not like him at all. He is normally very active. After lunch he seemed fine. What in the world?? Any ideas?
Old 08-28-17, 04:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just starting meds

What meds besides adderall has he tried?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-28-17, 11:01 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of
Re: Just starting meds

It sounds odd. Have you thought of trying a placebo? Tell him it's a vitamin, or conversely tell him a vitamin is an adhd med? I don't know about your kid but my two are fairly dramatic and have very firm thoughts on things, for example, how they will react to a medicine that went badly for them last time.

My daughter had a headache before bed so I figured I would give her some kids ibuprofen, she has taken it before without complaint. Even said it tasted great in the past. She proceeded to inform me that it was going to taste like ear wax...sure enough after she took it she stated over dramatically that it did indeed taste like ear wax. Ugh KIDS!
Sponsored Links