ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-17, 07:45 PM

absentminded93 is on a distinguished road
Hi from Aus :) (Diagnosed combined subtype at age 21)

Hi everyone!

What an awesome forum, I'm excited to learn more about people's experiences, strategies and quirks here

A little bit of background on me - I was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive and hyperactive) at the age of 21, after struggling at uni for quite some time. I'd always been "gifted" (though socially, a little slow) however felt as though I was underperforming at school, despite being in the top classes at an academically selective high school. In year 7, I was ranked #1 or #2 in my grade across all subjects, by year 12 I was lucky to be ranked top 30 in my best ones. This sounds like a bit of a first world problem, but for me, internally, it was quite difficult to know that I was performing well below my abilities. The list of other symptoms that I experience is very, very long, as many of you may know.

Fast forward a few years, I'd sit on full marks for each and every minor assessment at uni - low pressure in-class quizzes, minor submissions - but as soon as the going got tough, around week 7-10, I'd fail to submit assignments, especially larger ones. Heavily-weighted exams induced the most severe anxiety, and as time went on, I would look for any way out. I'd drop from an HD student to a pass within a week, if not days, and on a few occasions, even fails. I was lucky to have some pretty great mentors, one of whom pulled me aside and told me to go see my GP and look into disorders of the mental kind. I spent months researching and realised that ADHD fitted the bill, before getting my diagnosis from a psych here in Aus who was especially familiar with ADHD diagnosis in adults. He laughed heartily at the end of my appointment and told me that my consult had barely been necessary - I'd shown all the markers within minutes of walking in. My high IQ had apparently resulted in me being able to self-manage my ADHD for the last 15 or so years. The emotional rollercoaster that followed over the next few weeks was full on - lots of anger, grief, disbelief, and then finally, relief.

2.5 years on and I am off meds, competing at national level in track and field, finally getting awesome grades at uni (with a fair few awards and scholarships along the way) and excelling in my personal life. The diagnosis changed my life, and I really do believe that ADHD is my superpower - I am sure that many of you feel the same. Mind you, I still have bad days, but when I do, I manage to find great solace in the fact it's just a chemical irregularity in my brain

I'm very much looking forward to learning more, thanks for creating such an open and supportive environment everyone

Last edited by namazu; 08-30-17 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Please avoid using the word "retarded", as it's offensive to many people.
Old 08-31-17, 04:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,913 Times in 13,080 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi from Aus :) (Diagnosed combined subtype at age 21)

I am glad that adhd is your superpower, because it isnt mine. The impairments make it too difficult for me to look at it as an advantage.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.