ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 09-13-17, 12:33 AM

brittaperry is on a distinguished road
I procrastinate everything (including going to school)

Hi. I was diagnosed with ADHD combined type when I was 7 and now I'm 15. In the morning I procrastinate going to school. I show up max 2 days a week at lunchtime and I've been offered everything in the world to get up in the morning and go to school and I still can't do it. I always say to myself "I'll go tomorrow." I'll go in an hour.". My parents have even offered to pay me to go to school and still nothing. It honestly feels like it's out of my control. The truancy officers are on my case and I'm going to have to repeat this year if I can't get it together soon. My psychologist is telling me there is no medical reason I can't be at school. I'm taking Concerta 36mg but I don't think that is enough. I'm between psychiatrists so I can't get my medication changed anytime soon. I cry a lot because I feel so frustrated with this. I want to go to school but my brain doesn't want me to. If anyone has been through anything like this and knows what the next step I should take is I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-13-17, 12:55 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,746 Times in 9,284 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I procrastinate everything (including going to school)

Is the problem mostly waking up in the morning?
Or getting organized/dressed/etc.?
Or is it just an aversion to school in general?
Are you OK with going other places, or do you have difficulty getting out of the house?
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
stef (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 04:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Have you or your parents considered online/home schooling? I think a members' granddaughter(Lunacie) had success with this type of schooling

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Have you or your parents considered online/home schooling? I think a members' granddaughter(Lunacie) had success with this type of schooling
After getting expelled from school, i had no other choice but to do homeschooling/distance learning and honestly it was the best i ever did in a school program. It still takes some kind of support(example: parents checking in on your work). No pressure at all. It was great. Then i went to school again and got expelled again and went back to distance learning and graduated. Honestly from what i remember from it i loved. Help me out a lot. I would never graduated unless i had that opportunity.
namazu (09-16-17)
Old 10-17-17, 09:29 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

How are things going?

Saw this article and thought of you: http://www.npr.org/2017/10/16/558097...turn-to-school
Old 10-17-17, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean your parents don't force you out of bed and take you there themselves? I didn't have the option of not going to school. If I laid in bed too long, my mum would come through with a bucket of cold water to wake me up. She would be on my case constantly until I was ready, then she would drive me straight there.

It was horrible, but it worked. (oh and I didn't get paid to be there either)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 09:38 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

I had cold water thrown in my face sometimes, too, but that wasn't always sufficient....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-17), Fraser_0762 (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I had cold water thrown in my face sometimes, too, but that wasn't always sufficient....
Oh, she didn't throw cold water over my face. She stuck my face in the bucket to create a wake or drown scenario. Very sufficient.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-17), namazu (10-17-17)