ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 08-27-07, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,425 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Choosing the Right Treatment

The link goes to a PDF article on how to choose the right treatment - information on evidence based practices.

Go here:
http://www.help4adhd.org/en/living/otherresources
and when at the site, click on the link that says:

Choosing the Right Treatment: What Families Need to Know About Evidenced-Based Practices (A Family Guide)

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following User Says Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (02-06-11)
Old 05-12-10, 08:19 AM

mrkellen1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing the Right Treatment

This becoming an issue these days and it is becoming hard for parents and children to deal with it as children have no idea what to do and how to deal with it. we need to educate them tell them what they are dealing with and i found comic books which are explaining obesity in an interesting manner.

Last edited by Lady Lark; 05-12-10 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: removed weblink
Old 12-17-10, 05:02 AM

scary will become famous soon enough

My son was prescribed concerta which we only give for a week due to him becoming extremely sad and tearful and could not sleep then would be up at 5am which made him more grumpy cos of him being tired. Tho the dr insists that it is not the drug that caused the sadness I'm un sure what to do
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-11, 12:55 PM

Tonysmimi has a spectacular aura aboutTonysmimi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary View Post
My son was prescribed concerta which we only give for a week due to him becoming extremely sad and tearful and could not sleep then would be up at 5am which made him more grumpy cos of him being tired. Tho the dr insists that it is not the drug that caused the sadness I'm un sure what to do
Were you able to resolve this? My son did that the first week that he took Methylin 5 mg - an hour after taking it, he was on the verge of tears and angry, anything could set him off. That would last about two hours. The Dr. said it was from the medicine hitting him all at once. We have been breaking the pills in half and giving it to him twice a day, and that has been working OK, but it is clear that it is not strong enough. The Dr. said that next, she will try him on extended release, because that will come on more gradually.

My question - what do you all recommend to get him through the evening after his meds wear off? The last five hours of his day are still horrible, impossible to get homework done, to get him to brush his teeth, he is very hyper and very confrontational (he has ODD, as well). What do you all think of Vyvanse?
Old 02-06-11, 05:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

tessmesser is just really nicetessmesser is just really nicetessmesser is just really nicetessmesser is just really nice

My son was on Vyvanse for a year and did fairly well at first. Soon he became really combative at the end of the day after the Vyvanse wore off. We also had a problem with it because while he was on the Vyvanse he did not eat for 12 hours at a time.

When it wore off it was terrible because he was hypoglycemic and unmedicated. I could not get him eat anything while the medicine was on board because he said that if he ate his stomach hurt. It is impossible to have a nutritious diet when you are not eating for 12 of the 15 hours that you are awake. We began to notice that the medicine made him cry for no reason and that his mood was not great.

We have returned to giving him plain Adderall. He takes two on days that he needs to be very productive. His school does all the very intensive work by noon and then after lunch they do PE, Science, Music and art and these are all classes that allow for more movement and freedom of expression so he generally does not need two Adderall but he also has been exercising a lot and that helps tremendously. He is also eating and that can't hurt.

Every child is different and what is working today will likely need to be changed tomorrow but this is what our experience has been thus far.

Tess
http://primarilyinattentiveadd.com
Old 11-02-12, 01:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

Seaweed603 is on a distinguished road

I am not a parent, I am a kid, but I just wanted to say, research side effect before starting a medication on your kids. also see what people who take the meds say about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaweed603 For This Useful Post:
mamasaurusrexxx (12-20-12), messyme (11-18-13), mommymel3 (03-12-13)
Old 11-02-12, 02:06 PM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be very little known on why some meds help some people and why some have really unwanted side effects. You only have to read the posts here to see that how different people react.
I have read a lot of negative things about concerta, especially exacerbating anxiety. Here in Spain there isn´t much choice. For me it gets rid of my anxiety which I´m so grateful. I forgot to take it today and my anxiety was so bad, I hadn´t realised what I had been living with every day until it went.

So far I haven´t seen much difference yet in getting things done although my memory is improving. I am only on 27mg and am having a revision in 15 days.

Sometimes too small a dose can aggravate symptoms so an increase is needed. Seeing your child upset and tearful is awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
LynneC (11-02-12)
Old 04-04-13, 09:46 AM

kyeat231 is on a distinguished road

My son is 7 years old has been taking 54mg of concerta coupled with 2 mg of intuniv at 7am every morning. It has made a huge difference with his behavior at school and because of this he has not been in ISS for almost 2 months now. His handwriting has improved greatly but he still refuses to do school work. He has hated school since he started and before medication he would just scribble all over the work and crumple it up. Now he will neatly complete school work, however he wont take the time to read any questions and answer with correct answers. Like with math he will put 1 as his answer for everything. Then by about 2:30 the medication starts to ware off and because of this, getting him to complete homework is like pulling teeth.

His psychiatrist saw his behavior first hand so suggested adding 5mg of Ritalin after school so that he can at least get through homework. So far with the concerta and intuniv, there are no side affects. He is happy and enjoys himself more than any other medications he has been on. He actually has friends now which is a huge positive I think. I am starting the Ritalin today so we will see how that goes. My son is also in behavioral therapy with a psychologist. Both medical professionals are working together to help my son and I figure out what is best for us and giving me different suggestions to help him have better coping skills.

Last edited by Ms. Mango; 04-04-13 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks
The Following User Says Thank You to kyeat231 For This Useful Post:
Khamy25 (12-12-15)
Old 01-27-14, 05:40 PM
Jr Member

EllyBont is on a distinguished road

As I have posted we are using the Play Attention system with great success. They were just written up in the Journal of Pediatrics. The study is long but I found it informative about cognitive and neurofeedback therapy. Just click on the link to read it. http://www.playattention.com/wp-cont...einer-2014.pdf
I have to share this as an update to our progress it will sound a bit silly but as parents, it helped tremendously. Since using the program my lit tike has come out of his shell and we have learned a lot about him and ourselves for that matter. He likes to fish and sleep outdoors. So now that he has friends and can have sleep overs, our Christmas present dilemma to him was solved!! He got a fishing pole, tackle box and tent. Stocking stuffers included a flashlight. I know it sounds silly but it was a joy to finally see him happy and smile when the holiday arrived. CHEERS!

Last edited by LynneC; 01-27-14 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: commercial link removed; link to study added...
Old 04-22-14, 04:22 PM

Dragonfly37 is on a distinguished road

I put my 5 year old son on 18 mg of concerta when he was diagnosed. Worked like a dream at first for a few months, then I noticed he started getting more irritable when on it and the crash when it wore off was bad too. Switched him to Adderall (10 mg). This was much worse, made him agressive and angry. Was starting to wonder if he was bipolar. Did my own little experiment and took him completely off meds for three days while I was home with him and the anger disappeared, he was angry consisitently every day before. Now I have cut the dosage in half (5 mg) and am waiting to see the outcome. Thinking the dose of Adderall was too high perhaps. Such a delicate dance trying to find the perfect medication and dose or combination of meds but I remain hopeful that I can get him to a good place...
Old 08-07-14, 10:37 AM

cmcnair is on a distinguished road

I have an 11yr old on that same drug and I noticed the crash you speak of. We give it to him in the morning after a nice breakfast, but when he gets home it's like pulling teeth to get him focused enough to do homework or chores.
I have blogged about my kid and treatments, maybe it will help you going forward.

http://bsmagazineforkids.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-14, 11:37 AM

optimismhitting will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed603 View Post
I am not a parent, I am a kid, but I just wanted to say, research side effect before starting a medication on your kids. also see what people who take the meds say about it.
I agree with you. I have two kids and every time they are sick, i always do a personal research about the the sickness and the meds needed to see what should i expect to happen.
Old 04-08-17, 07:48 AM

Apie86 is on a distinguished road
Feeling on Ritalin? Side effects experienced short term and long term?

Hello everyone.
My 2 sons have inattentive ADHD. They both started on Ritalin over the past 3 months. My older son 10 years old is doing a lot better in school now on 20 MG. Before he was not getting much work done and failing a lot of tests. I would have never thought to medicate them as its had a bad rep. Also, my 6yr old is on 10 mg and it has helped him some so far where before he could not get any work done at school and is very behind.

Both the boys get very irritable when they are coming off the meds. My 6 year old tends to hit his siblings occassionally if stuck in a car with them during that time. My 10 yr old says the meds make him feel like he is always rushing to get things done. Is that bad?

My parents, siblings, and my son's dad were all against it. I'm nervous about what side effects they might haveafter taking it for years. Are there any adults who can say they have been on it since a child and how it has affected them, or if you had a child on it longterm. Does it really cause heart attacks and death or is that mainly when someone abuses it?

Thank you for your help. I really want the best for my kids. I'm so torn.
Old 04-08-17, 02:03 PM

Thanked 26,075 Times in 12,165 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Feeling on Ritalin? Side effects experienced short term and long term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apie86 View Post
Hello everyone.
My 2 sons have inattentive ADHD. They both started on Ritalin over the past 3 months. My older son 10 years old is doing a lot better in school now on 20 MG. Before he was not getting much work done and failing a lot of tests. I would have never thought to medicate them as its had a bad rep. Also, my 6yr old is on 10 mg and it has helped him some so far where before he could not get any work done at school and is very behind.

Both the boys get very irritable when they are coming off the meds. My 6 year old tends to hit his siblings occassionally if stuck in a car with them during that time. My 10 yr old says the meds make him feel like he is always rushing to get things done. Is that bad?

My parents, siblings, and my son's dad were all against it. I'm nervous about what side effects they might haveafter taking it for years. Are there any adults who can say they have been on it since a child and how it has affected them, or if you had a child on it longterm. Does it really cause heart attacks and death or is that mainly when someone abuses it?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the come down can be difficult. They might benefit from a small booster
dose of IR Ritalin shortly before the morning meds wear off.

Also, getting some food into them after school really helps, especially if they
aren't eating much at lunchtime. And water. Lots of water. Water all the time.

No, it doesn't cause heart attack or death unless there is an underlying issue
or it's abused. It's been around over 70 years and it's safer than many OTC
meds when taken as prescribed.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-03-17, 10:29 AM

Sammy8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Feeling on Ritalin? Side effects experienced short term and long term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apie86 View Post
Hello everyone.

Hi, for me it was the same! My husband and parents were against it however after the first few months things started looking up. James started behaving a bit better and less active throughout the day. To be fair, apart from medication, we tried neurofeedback and CogniFit's cognitive training platform. I think each of these did wonders. I was skeptical about the cognitive training one, but since it was basically playing games to train memory and attention, I decided to give it a try! Its worth the money. Anyhow, stick in there and I hope things get better!