ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-16, 05:49 AM

Ironklaus has a spectacular aura aboutIronklaus has a spectacular aura about
ADD is not as important as bipolar, my psychiatrist says

Hi. I am recently diagnosed with ADD. My psychiatrist first thought that I was bipolar and later with tests and interviews he decided I have ADD. And now he doesnt take my problems as seriously. I feel like in his mind bipolar is more serious than ADD and I just feel I was bipolar because of " oh treating ADD is so easy I will just shut you up" attidute.

What do you think about that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironklaus For This Useful Post:
jkimbo (12-04-16), mildadhd (11-13-16)
Old 03-01-16, 11:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,448 Times in 1,765 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: ADD is not as important as bipolar, my psychiatrist says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklaus View Post
Hi. I am recently diagnosed with ADD. My psychiatrist first thought that I was bipolar and later with tests and interviews he decided I have ADD. And now he doesnt take my problems as seriously. I feel like in his mind bipolar is more serious than ADD and I just feel I was bipolar because of " oh treating ADD is so easy I will just shut you up" attidute.

Get another psychiatrist.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-01-16), Arei (12-09-17), Gypsy Willow (10-12-17), Ironklaus (03-01-16), Little Missy (03-01-16), mildadhd (11-13-16), Roxx1980 (12-03-16), salleh (12-07-16)
Old 03-01-16, 11:34 AM

Thanked 28,051 Times in 12,978 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Bipolar disorder can be absolutely devastating maybe in a more acute and extreme way however ADHD can be devastating as well in perhaps a more gradual, chronic way. I'm not sure. Either way, your psychiatrist should take ADHD and the very real problems it causes seriously. I agree with the others. Get another psychiatrist if you can.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Arei (05-18-16), Gypsy Willow (10-12-17), Ironklaus (03-01-16), Lunacie (03-01-16), mildadhd (11-13-16), Roxx1980 (12-03-16), salleh (12-07-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-16, 11:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,555 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that bipolar is worse than adhd but you cant effectively treat adhd without tackling the bipolar. Untreated bipolar makes treating adhd almost impossible.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-12-17), aeon (03-01-16), Arei (05-18-16), Feldisland (02-18-17), Ironklaus (03-01-16), Lash107 (11-26-17), mildadhd (11-13-16), willow129 (10-11-17)
Old 03-01-16, 03:55 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,954 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if I understand your post correctly.

If you have both bipolar and ADHD, then it really is more important to treat bipolar first. If this is what your doctor is saying - something like "We will ignore ADHD while we work on the bipolar first, and then we will do something about ADHD after that" - then he is simply doing the right thing.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Ironklaus (03-01-16), Kunga Dorji (12-19-16), mildadhd (11-13-16)
Old 03-20-16, 12:54 PM

Leigha224 is on a distinguished road

I have both bipolar 1 and severe ADHD while my dr. Thinks that they are both equally important it's very true that bipolar needs a bit more attention because if you are not stable then you cant treat the ADD. Some ADHD meds can be destabilizing and so my bipolar meds have to take precedent. ADD/ADHD and bipolar can have similar symptoms sometimes making it hard to figure out which one is causing what....it's a daily struggle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leigha224 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-13-16), salleh (12-07-16)
Old 04-27-16, 07:09 PM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

So if I understand correctly, you were initially dx'ed with Bipolar, now your MD thinks you have ADHD? And you perceive the doctor is dismissive towards ADHD?

What does that mean for the current status of your treatment? Is the MD prescribing you meds or not?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bouncingoffwall For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-13-16)
Old 04-30-16, 03:40 AM
Contributor

Sickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the rough

I have bipolar I disorder and ADHD and the only med that made me manic was strattera.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sickle For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-13-16)
Old 11-07-16, 04:40 AM

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,781 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

I have both Bipolar and ADHD.
The Bipolar is definitely more destructive.
The discovery of my ADHD led to the Bipolar being neglected which resulted in a major decompensation early this year.

Bipolar can rapidly go out of control and be highly destructive on all levels of our being and our relationships.

I agree with the earlier comment that the harms of ADHD can be more subtle and slower, but from a medical point of view ADHD is the THIRD most destructive psych disorder BEHIND schizophrenia and bipolar.

One thing I do wonder from my own experience is whether the background pattern of Bipolar may mimic or worsen ADHD.

Most of the time with Bipolar is spent in a low grade depressive state ( which is usually unresponsive to antidepressants- which also carry the risk of triggering hypomania/mania). My suspicion (based on my own experience- diagnosed bipolar at 27 and ADHD at 46) is that these symptoms may lead to a loss of motivation which may worsen inattentive symptoms.( Often anxiety and obsessiveness are the best protection for ADHD disorganisation).

There may, of course, be a two way feedback loop as the consequences of the ADHD increase depression.

Naturally this is all speculative, but most of the material in this area has been written by doctors who are looking at the problem from the outside.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-04-17), mildadhd (11-13-16), namazu (11-07-16)
Old 11-13-16, 05:15 PM

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,103 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I second trying out a new psychiatrist.

But first: tell your current one exactly what you have said here. They need ot hear that ... they can handle it.

You're the paying client and you're feeling that the current treatment and approach isn't working. Say that! Say it politely if you need to but say it!

It might feel awkard, but some of the most important conversations we have to have in life are awkward! And you're giving the psychiatrist a chance to adjust. Now, if they fail to adjust, then head elsewhere.

Good luck.

Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (11-20-16), salleh (12-07-16)
Old 12-04-16, 07:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

jkimbo will become famous soon enough

My opinion for what it's worth being bipolar with adhd symptoms too, I honestly don't think they can tell the difference with some symptoms.

I been diagnosed bipolar in 1987. And every time I would bring up ADHD I was told the same thing, you don't have adhd it's your bipolar, so I never got treated for the adhd!

Fast forward to this year, yes it took that long! My current pdoc, also doesn't think I have ADHD but he is of the opinion that bipolar can produce symptoms that mirror ADHD! And he found the ADHD treatment works for some people with bipolar.

And then there are the pdocs that are of the opinion you can have both bipolar and ADHD. So even among professionals opinions vary on this topic!

The wisest pdoc I ever had passed away last year. He was truly great. He paid no attention to the labels and just treated the symptoms. He was about to put me on adderall but passed away. Luckily the next pdoc I got was willing to try this with me!
Old 10-04-17, 05:48 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My psychiatrist spent time on bipolar first - to see if I had it. There were various tests to rule out physical causes, like a brain tumor, I had to go get various tests measuring brain activity and imaging. Then he moved on to full psychological evaluations.

He made the right call. My GP had misdiagnosed me with Major Depressive Disorder and rx’d me SSRI’s I became fully blown manic and thank goodness he referred me to an excellent psychiatrist, whom I still see today.

So, I did not have MDD. I have “bipolar 1, rapid cycling, mixed episode predominant, with occasional psychotic features (categorized “extreme”). I don’t like it but I am on a good treatment plan, including ADHD (see below).

My fully blown manic episode from the MDD misdiagnosis (leading to taking SSRI’s with no mood stabilizer) rapid cycled into a psychotic mixed episode. It lasted months and with frequent pdoc visits and aggressive med changes, he stabilized me.

The other symptoms I had, including ADHD, were addressed a few months after I stabilized. My situation was life-threatening due to my mood state and worsening psychosis. He took things in proper order and he didn’t blow off ADHD, he told me that we needed to address my symptoms—but mood stabilization was needed first.

Best wishes, it’s tough managing any mental illness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lash107 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-04-17)
Old 10-11-17, 07:21 AM

Thanked 1,311 Times in 537 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think the problem is your Doctors assumption that he's treating your disorder.

The reality is that you're treating your disorder.

He doesn't have to cope with the symptoms and find ways around it.

That's all you.
Old 10-11-17, 09:44 PM

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,781 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Bipolar disorder can be absolutely devastating maybe in a more acute and extreme way however ADHD can be devastating as well in perhaps a more gradual, chronic way. I'm not sure. Either way, your psychiatrist should take ADHD and the very real problems it causes seriously. I agree with the others. Get another psychiatrist if you can.
Yes bipolar can be devastating.

People do tend to miss that a manic upswing of bipolar can easily land you in an acute psychiatry ward as an involuntary patient.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (11-26-17)