ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-17, 04:12 AM

loveselfishlove is on a distinguished road
How to prevent eating disorder while taking adderall/stimulants?

I can't find the exact statistic but my doctor told me there is a very high percentage of people who develop an eating disorder while taking adderall.

As part of my ADHD I have a high sensitivity to taste/texture so I've always been a picky eater, but I had a voracious appetite so I didn't have a problem getting enough food (For anyone who watches Gilmore Girls, I was practically eating like Lorelai and Rory, that is, obnoxious amounts of junk food, but at least I was getting calories).

When I started taking perscription stimulants my appetite disappeared and I didn't really want to eat anything, even the foods I really liked. My mom usually made me eat something every day and she kept a lot of foods in the house that we knew I would eat.

I don't live with my mom anymore so I'm in charge of feeding myself. My dad is on a weird diet so he only cooks foods that I won't eat (due to my picky food thing) and often I don't have the executive function skills or the energy left after school to remember to cook for myself. So usually I end up just eating light snacks or nothing at all, because most days I can't cook the few foods I will eat. And sometimes I just forget to eat because my body isn't prompting me to anymore, even on the days I don't take meds.

I know this is really really unhealthy and I'm probably setting myself up to develop anorexia or something because I'm practically starving myself. My adderall keeps me from feeling hungry most of the time and when I do feel hungry it's always at an inconvenient time (during a class/2:00 in the morning/while I'm hyperfocusing on something) so I ignore it.

I'm only taking 15 mg, but I'm probably not even getting 1000 calories most days, and in the past few months I've already lost like 5% of my body weight which isn't a lot but I was pretty thin to begin with. Is there anything I can do to keep myself from continuing this behavior? I want to be healthy but it seems like so much work. How do y'all deal with this problem? Do you have any tips on getting myself to eat?
Old 08-27-17, 06:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to prevent eating disorder while taking adderall/stimulants?

Well an eating disorder is a mental illness. It is not as a result of appetite suppression.Stimulants cause appetite suppression but they do not give you a mental illness.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-07-17), Emre22 (09-07-17), Lash107 (10-04-17), Little Missy (08-27-17)
Old 09-07-17, 05:20 PM
Jr Member

dopaminerush is on a distinguished road

Start liquid meals.
The worst thing you can do to yourself is eating less on stimulans. it will decrease effiency of adderal and you can get some b12, iron, zinc, magnesium deffiency from it. Lack of this nutrients can make a healty person go full adhd, depressive lethargic.

talk to another doctor may be you have some comorbidities. specially ocd about eating.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-17, 05:38 PM
Contributor

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

1 year ago, concerta was making same for me , if i didnt remember to eat, i wasnt eating even. ( i lost a appreciable amount of weight during that time)
You can set alarms for eating times in order to remember even if u dont feel hungry

Force yourself to eat , i do not say eat a normal meal , eat something little at least

Have regular meals by applying this method , then you may get back to eating like before.
Eating is a habit also , if you eat regular and have your meals on the time , you can fix it maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (10-04-17)
Old 09-07-17, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

Protein shakes, Ensure, Slimfast all are pretty good tasting and you get a ton of calories and some of your vitamin and mineral requirements. You may want to add some supplements to your morning routine. I use b, c, d, e, fish oil, and some other random stuff myself. I actually seem to notice when I do, my symptoms are less.

I'm not a good cook either so I had to google a few dishes and learn how to make them. . Other than making recipes out of a cookbook, I can cook eggs, goulash, pasta with sauce, and grilled items. (I'm sure I can do more but I don't want to bore everybody.) Pick a few one dish meals you like and have them or the ingredients on hand.

In a pinch you can use the frozen entrees, just watch the salt. If I am lazy I will pick up a breakfast meal at a fast food joint.
Old 09-08-17, 02:35 PM
Jr Member

dopaminerush is on a distinguished road

Watch this it will help :

Last edited by namazu; 10-04-17 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Removed video with foul language. Fixed link to other video. (Be sure link starts with http, not https, so page displays correctly.)
Old 10-04-17, 06:09 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Well an eating disorder is a mental illness. It is not as a result of appetite suppression.Stimulants cause appetite suppression but they do not give you a mental illness.

I schedule mini-meals throughout the day on iPhone. Quick, easy foods for me to eat like yogurt, cottage cheese, fresh fruit (already cut up)...I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but toasted waffles in lieu of bread.

But, seriously - what Sarah said is on point. I don’t have a large appetite and my meds decrease it, so I just get the reminders on my phone and I eat. When my 1 pm reminder of “eat yogurt,” pops up - I go eat a yogurt.

Planning ahead, reminders, and just the act of eating, even if we don’t feel like it on ADHD meds.

I’ve been down that road of not eating for a day, two days—it’s very unpleasant and unhealthy.

Good luck.