ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-17, 02:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,621 Times in 2,411 Posts
Hermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond repute
Drinking on vacation

This weekend I am travelling to Berlin for a short vacation after a year of working hard on my recovery and graduating from university. My idea is to do some sightseeing, museums, shopping... and maybe drink a beer or two in the evening. Until now I have been very strict about abstinence, but I have the idea that drinking a beer would be nice for a change and that it will work out if I manage to keep it to vacations only. On the other hand I know a lot of people argue for strict abstinence under all conditions. So I want to be careful with trying this.

Any thoughts on the idea of only drinking on vacations? Anyone tried this? I would love to hear more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-06-17), aeon (10-06-17), namazu (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 06:37 AM

Thanked 28,053 Times in 12,979 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drinking on vacation

I used to do it with smoking. I only allowed myself to smoke in holiday. I did this for a 8 year's or so but then after a 3 week holiday and a stressful return I couldn't quit and sent back to full time smoking.

I think it's risky. Also because with alcohol with every pint your inhibitions and decision making power will be lowered. Even if you stick to just one pint it will mean that your will power will get challenged again and you will have to fight the battle again even if it's a small one. In not sure it's worth the pain.

Also you run the risk of your holiday then only becoming about the possibility to drink rather than enjoying the sights.

If you do want to do this I think you need to make very strict specific rules with no room for debate and no leeway whatsoever e.g..

1. I will drink one pint a day and no more under any circumstamces.

2. This will only start once I am in Berlin out of the airport.

3. I will only drink beer.

Have you been to Berlin before? It's amazing. Absolutely fascinating and you can spend days in just one museum. The local beer though is not so great....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-06-17), Hermus (10-06-17), namazu (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 08:33 AM

Hermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I used to do it with smoking. I only allowed myself to smoke in holiday. I did this for a 8 year's or so but then after a 3 week holiday and a stressful return I couldn't quit and sent back to full time smoking.

I think it's risky. Also because with alcohol with every pint your inhibitions and decision making power will be lowered. Even if you stick to just one pint it will mean that your will power will get challenged again and you will have to fight the battle again even if it's a small one. In not sure it's worth the pain.

Also you run the risk of your holiday then only becoming about the possibility to drink rather than enjoying the sights.

If you do want to do this I think you need to make very strict specific rules with no room for debate and no leeway whatsoever e.g..

1. I will drink one pint a day and no more under any circumstamces.

2. This will only start once I am in Berlin out of the airport.

3. I will only drink beer.

Have you been to Berlin before? It's amazing. Absolutely fascinating and you can spend days in just one museum. The local beer though is not so great....
Yeah, have been there before and I love it. My favourite city in the world. So much to see and to do. I have been there 4 or 5 times and I think there is still so much to discover.

I think you are right about the alcohol. I always need to be mindful about it, so I would need strict rules for myself. If I would make drink with those rules in the back of my head, I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it I guess. So probably I should just leave it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-06-17), Fuzzy12 (10-06-17), namazu (10-06-17), stef (10-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-17, 12:51 PM

What I actually realized I dread is not knowing what to do in the evenings. Usually if I travel on my own, I don't mind to just sit at a bar, have a few beers and watch people. But sitting at a bar and drinking are not really great options for me right now. I don't want to sit at the hostel all night either. Anyone any ideas?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-07-17), namazu (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 12:52 PM

Thanked 5,833 Times in 2,833 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the Fußball.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Hermus (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 01:37 PM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,723 Times in 8,885 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hermus,

I've been very pleased to hear that you've been clean for I believe a number of months, (if not over a year) now.

As an alcoholic as well, I can tell you I have been clean for a number of months at a time, and every time I've done this thing where I say "I don't need it, I'll just enjoy a few beers or some wine with lunch etc. and before you know it I'm binge drinking again.

My advice is not to touch the stuff.

Enjoy your vacation.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Hermus (10-06-17), namazu (10-06-17), stef (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Hi Hermus,

I've been very pleased to hear that you've been clean for I believe a number of months, (if not over a year) now.

As an alcoholic as well, I can tell you I have been clean for a number of months at a time, and every time I've done this thing where I say "I don't need it, I'll just enjoy a few beers or some wine with lunch etc. and before you know it I'm binge drinking again.

My advice is not to touch the stuff.

Enjoy your vacation.
Yes. It has been one year last week. On Sunday morning I've decided to go to a meeting by Refuge Recovery, a recovery program I'm involved in. In November we will start the first open Dutch meeting. Would love to see how they do things in Berlin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-06-17), aeon (10-06-17)
Old 10-07-17, 06:38 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Hermus you are an alcoholic and a sex addict. Dont throw away all that hard work.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-07-17), theleader (11-24-17)
Old 11-24-17, 04:05 AM

theleader is on a distinguished road

Can we get some follow up?

What happened Hermus? Did you take that drink? Did it spark off a phenomenon of craving?
Did you go to any meetings out there?

I’ve stayed sober through many out of town trips. Anywhere I go, I can find a meeting and feel right at home.

Keep your foot on the gas in this Recovery thing, the disease is always trying to catch up with you.