ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-06-17, 07:50 PM

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about
Annual Income

Greetings all,

Just out of curiosity, how much do you make annually? Are you medicated/unmedicated? How satisfied are you with your current financial situation?

I'm somewhat interested in hearing how meds have impacted your earning potential in the short and long term.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-17, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,943 Times in 2,883 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annual Income

Unmedicated
Unsatisfied
Old 10-06-17, 08:35 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,292 Times in 6,393 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to tell if meds. helped any with income for me. They have helped me perform my job better and more efficiently. Meds. probably saved me more from losing my job and income much more than gaining financially.

They just helped me get to the level of professionalism & productivity that was already expected of me. I had gotten by being unmedicated for years by using OCD, anxiety and fear for motivation and focus.

When I finally could no longer handle getting by with very bad coping skills. It felt literally like I was going insane it was so severe. I was much more concerned that was the case than I ever considered ADHD.

After 10 years of failed treatments, I was diagnosed by accident by my primary care Dr. She and medication have changed my life for the better. No tangible income though which I could directly contribute to the addition of medication.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 45
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-06-17), Fraser_0762 (10-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-17, 09:24 PM

Thanked 3,497 Times in 1,788 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I make around $70k. Though I would make around $100k if I worked full time instead of parttime.

In one way I'm satisfied cause I do have enough money. In another I'm not cause adhd is definitely the reason I'm underpaid. Also, kind of wish I went into a different branch that paid more in general.

I wasn't diagnosed till late. Meds don't really help me much. Just with paying attention by a little bit. What would have helped was just an earlier diagnosis so I would have taken my weaknesses more seriously. I would have put more safety precautions in place which would have made a world of difference in my career.
Old 10-07-17, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

mrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the rough

I was diagnosed with ADD/PI at 52 years old. I tried wellbutrin and concerta for 6 months up to the highest dosage with 0 effect.
My GP won't even let me try most meds because of my elevated BP. So basically, I've never really been on any medication.
I've been stuck at $53,000/yr for the past 12 years without a penny raise. I feel I could be making $75,000/yr if I didn't have ADD.
Old 10-07-17, 02:01 PM

Thanked 24,173 Times in 11,188 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzyphl View Post
I was diagnosed with ADD/PI at 52 years old. I tried wellbutrin and concerta for 6 months up to the highest dosage with 0 effect.
My GP won't even let me try most meds because of my elevated BP. So basically, I've never really been on any medication.
I've been stuck at $53,000/yr for the past 12 years without a penny raise. I feel I could be making $75,000/yr if I didn't have ADD.
I also have high blood pressure but haven't tried stimulant meds. I found by
accident that Omega 3 works really well for me with focus and attention.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mrzyphl (10-07-17)
Old 10-10-17, 01:11 AM

Thanked 3,497 Times in 1,788 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzyphl View Post
I have raised BP too. I take meds for it. Can you take stimulants while taking BP meds?
Old 10-10-17, 02:16 AM

kkristin17 is on a distinguished road

Uhhh let's just say I don't make nearly enough

I can't wait to hit that $75k/yr mark eventually though...

That's supposedly the psychological "sweet spot" annual income where you aren't financially stressed (in the U.S. at least).

I'd be pretty happy about $40k/yr at this point in my life though.
Old 10-10-17, 08:25 PM

Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is the adhd bread winner (I have not worked for a paycheck in over 26 years). He is not medicated, they just don't work well for him. I am not sure I want to say his income, but it is well over 6 figures.

He has been able to structure his work environment around his adhd, instead of trying to structure his adhd around his work environment. It works very well for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
kkristin17 (10-10-17)
Old 10-10-17, 11:01 PM

kkristin17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmybully View Post
My husband is the adhd bread winner (I have not worked for a paycheck in over 26 years). He is not medicated, they just don't work well for him. I am not sure I want to say his income, but it is well over 6 figures.

He has been able to structure his work environment around his adhd, instead of trying to structure his adhd around his work environment. It works very well for him.
Good for him (and you)!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kkristin17 For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (10-11-17)