ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-12-17, 05:34 PM

Drjolittle is on a distinguished road
Unhappy ADHD medication advice

Hi everyone so after starting my 8 year old son on 10mg of Methylphenidate it had no effect on his behaviour but Kept him awake all night & his 2mg melatonin wasn't effective. His doctor has now said due to it keeping him awake they won't be offering any other brand or dose of that as all stimulants have the ingredients methylphenidate & would cause him to not sleep etc.. and that instead to try Atomoxetine which takes 4-6 weeks before you see a difference & if this is not effective then unfortunately no other treatment. This doesn't sound right to me. That my son should then be left to suffer & struggle in life. Surely they could up his dose of methylphenidate then up the melatonin? I'm not keen on the Atomoxetine as they saying can effect liver function & higher suicide thoughts in patients who take it & Iv lost someone close to me through suicide already so it scares me. Any advice? Did anyone find they still needed to take the methylphenidate for a week or so before seeing an effect even though should be instant? Thanks.
Old 10-13-17, 12:39 AM

Anastasia1 is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD medication advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjolittle View Post
Hi everyone so after starting my 8 year old son on 10mg of Methylphenidate it had no effect on his behaviour but Kept him awake all night & his 2mg melatonin wasn't effective. His doctor has now said due to it keeping him awake they won't be offering any other brand or dose of that as all stimulants have the ingredients methylphenidate & would cause him to not sleep etc.. and that instead to try Atomoxetine which takes 4-6 weeks before you see a difference & if this is not effective then unfortunately no other treatment. This doesn't sound right to me. That my son should then be left to suffer & struggle in life. Surely they could up his dose of methylphenidate then up the melatonin? I'm not keen on the Atomoxetine as they saying can effect liver function & higher suicide thoughts in patients who take it & Iv lost someone close to me through suicide already so it scares me. Any advice? Did anyone find they still needed to take the methylphenidate for a week or so before seeing an effect even though should be instant? Thanks.
I'm not sure how long you have tried the methylphenadate with your sone, but I would definitely try the methylphenadate for a couple of days unless there was something really bad. How late in the day is he taking his dose or last dose? Is he on the long-lasting/slow release or the regular?

As weird as it may sound, having a snack with milk product while watching a calm TV show usually helps me sleep when I start to wake up again at night, sometimes more than melatonin. It was also a great excuse for ice cream when I was a kid.

I've heard of some kind of antidepressant also being used for ADHD. I suppose it wouldn't be bad to get a second opinion if there was anything else that you could try is the other medication doesn't work.

Also I've read some stuff about omega 3 fatty acids, ginko biloba and some effects of keytogenic diets in treating ADHD, though these are not as formally recognized.
Old 10-13-17, 07:46 AM

He was only on it for 4 days & wasn't sleeping so told me to stop but some people have told me it took a week or so before they saw a change in behaviour & the sleeping returned to normal. So maybe was a bit hasty to stop so soon?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-17, 08:12 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

My children take their stimulants at 6am, then they take their "nighttime meds" at 8pm. 3mg of melatonin in gummy star form that tastes like oranges AND my 8 year old takes 0.5mg of clonodine to help shut her brain off. My son takes 1mg of clonodine at night and 0.5mg in the morning. It's a non-addictive, non narcotic, that assists in lowering blood pressure and thoughts racing in their head and they just relax.
Old 10-13-17, 01:39 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,247 Times in 14,922 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a silly thing to say. It depends on how the methyphenidate is releases. Is it ritain? Is it concerta? Are you NHS or private?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-14-17, 05:32 AM

It's Equasym XL. Im NHS not private.
Old 10-14-17, 06:00 AM

It's equasym Xl. He had his 10mg dose at 7:30am before school. He Had his 2mg melatonin at 7pm & wasn't able to go to sleep till almost midnight.
Old 10-15-17, 08:19 AM

Any more advice is welcome. I'm in 2 minds do I re try the methylphenidate for longer or do I start the new meds.