ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-17, 06:15 AM

Donker94 is on a distinguished road
Stopped using nicotine

so i stopped using nicotine(snus) a few days ago and now the ritalin don't seem to do sht anymore. i'm very irritable and reckless i've been told. anyone experienced something similar? ex-smokers? gonna end up in jail if i cant control my symptoms.. help lol
Old 10-19-17, 06:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,761 Times in 12,833 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stopped using nicotine

Yes when I stopped smoking all my adhd symptoms hit back with a vengeance in spite of me taking dex at the time.

Nicotine helps with adhd symptoms to an extent and the withdrawal effects can cause huge problems with focus, restlessness, irritability, etc. So it's not that your Ritalin isnt working anymore but it's just that Its effects are overshadowed by the withdrawal from nicotine. It will take a while. It took me about 3 weeks. 3 crazy weeks. Doing lots ajd lots and lots of sport or exercise or some sort of physical movement helped.
Old 10-19-17, 07:34 AM

Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,678 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried patches or gum? You don't need to force yourself to stop instantaneously. Just gradually taper yourself off it until it feels natural.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-17, 07:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,280 Times in 13,267 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Frazer's right. Stopping nicotine all together is hard. replacement that you can step down from would be good.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-19-17)
Old 10-19-17, 07:47 AM

Thanked 19,288 Times in 10,253 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Have you tried patches or gum? You don't need to force yourself to stop instantaneously. Just gradually taper yourself off it until it feels natural.
Especially since you are quitting chew-snus-which is super strong.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-19-17)
Old 10-19-17, 01:02 PM

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,095 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I quit smoking cigars 11 years ago. Cigars have a ton of nicotine. So I switched to nicotine gum.

Well, a year ago, I decided it was time to reduce the amount of nicotine gum I chew. I was paying a lot of money monthly. So one day, I just cut my nicotine gum dose by about two thirds.

I thought I was about to die. I was out at a diner with a friend, and I felt like I was gonna pass out. But I wasn't breathing heavily ... I felt like a nausea. I cut the meal short, and went home ... and didn't pass out ... Took me a little while to realize OMG, that's the nicotine reduction.

Seriously, I thought I was gonna die ... I think I increased my dose a little bit (though not back to the high level I was on before) ... and the symptoms decreased ... I no longer felt like I was gonna die.

Anyway, your symptoms will pass ... Yeah, nicotine helps focus and it's highly addictive ... your system is screaming right now.

I'm hesitant to tell you to use gum, because I (and many others) got addicted to the gum. Still my doctor is fine with me chewing gum, even 11 years after I quit cigar smoking! ... She almost dances a jig when she checks in with me each year and hears that I'm still not smoking. I always feel a little guilty that I'm using the gum. But she's fine with that.

You can absolutely call your doctor and schedule a special appointment--to get help during this transition. Maybe they'll want to increase the Ritalin during this transition period.

Tone