ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-17-17, 06:20 PM

Jgaspard is on a distinguished road
Testing help

Finally maybe someone here can help me. I have done everything I know to do. We are working with teachers, multiple doctors and I have run out of ideas. My 10 year old daughter has pretty severe ADHD. She is on Adderall XR and her problem is with Math. She is in math interventions 2 days a week at school and has a private tutor on Sunday's. She knows the math. Her tutor says so and her teachers say so. But she goes to take the math test and fails. We have had her testing moved to the morning when her medicine is at its most optimal studied for 2 days before the test and she says she sits down to take the test and forgets everything. Test are the only way to get grades so in math she is doing horribly. If I don't figure this out soon she will fail the 5th grade. Please help!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jgaspard For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 06:47 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,976 Times in 9,998 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing help

Welcome to ADDF!

There could be a number of reasons for your daughter's struggles with math tests, but I wonder...

...does she have bad test anxiety with math tests? Does her mind just go blank?

...when she's doing homework or class exercises, does she have access to formulas or hints or even scratch paper that she doesn't have when she takes a test?

...could she talk someone through the problems out loud, but struggles to put things on paper? Is it mostly recall, or putting things in writing, or both?

Also, does she already have an IEP or 504 plan in place, and is she already getting any kind of testing accomodations?

Sorry for the load of questions, but understanding where things get hung up might help us give you more relevant suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Jgaspard (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 07:11 PM

Jgaspard is on a distinguished road

Thank you!!

She has said over and over that she just forgets when she sits down with her test.

When she goes to hand it in to her teacher she makes suggestions on problem my daughter may want to recheck.

She does have 504 accommodations and that is how we got her testing time moved up to earlier in the day. She also gets extra time on test.

The curriculum is Common Core. So they have to figure the problem out and show the steps how they did so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jgaspard For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-17, 04:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,455 Times in 14,481 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest trying to get her an IEP. Schools tend to follow the guidelines of them better than 504 plans. There are also more options for help with IEP's.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Jgaspard (10-18-17)
Old 10-18-17, 08:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,449 Times in 3,077 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that she's trying to memorize, rather than understand. Which is why she is forgetting when it comes to the tests. Maths like everything else has basic fundamental rules. Once you understand those rules, they're impossible to forget.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-18-17)
Old 10-18-17, 07:32 PM

Thanked 21,170 Times in 11,327 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
It seems to me that she's trying to memorize, rather than understand. Which is why she is forgetting when it comes to the tests. Maths like everything else has basic fundamental rules. Once you understand those rules, they're impossible to forget.
Fraser is right. I was tutored by the football guys and they were magicians with me. Sometimes they'd sit in on my tests and I'd start wailing, "I've never seen this before!!"

He'd just put his thumb over the new part or where they changed the problems format. Same problem, I knew it, but it looked different, so he'd make it look back how it was with his finger and suddenly I'd get it.

I had no help during the tests, just a reminder to remember, and it worked.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-18-17)
Old 10-23-17, 09:22 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Agreed, if it's not in the same format she may not understand it. For example.

4x-5 = 11
5 - 4x = -11
4x = 16
16 = 4x

All the same answers, but all different in what she would have to do to get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-23-17)
Old 10-23-17, 09:30 AM

Thanked 21,170 Times in 11,327 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Agreed, if it's not in the same format she may not understand it. For example.

4x-5 = 11
5 - 4x = -11
4x = 16
16 = 4x

All the same answers, but all different in what she would have to do to get there.
Yes! Same thing only it looks different. It can really throw me off, or other children too.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 10-23-17, 10:46 AM

Thanked 25,454 Times in 11,837 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My granddaughter is autistic but also struggles with math (just like I did).
If the teacher asks her the questions verbally she is able to answer.

Clearly she knows and understands how to do it.
But give her paper and pencil and she simply cannot do it.

Sometimes she can do it on the computer.
Standardized testing sucks for kids who are standardized.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me