ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Personality Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-17, 04:15 PM

Thanked 32,433 Times in 14,639 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sometimes I wonder why I'm "ADHD"...

thread closed for review.

cheers,
-peri
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (12-12-17)
Old 10-25-17, 09:37 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,092 Times in 9,340 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Thread reopened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (12-12-17)
Old 10-25-17, 09:42 PM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

And re the thread's topic, I think anyone who is out there armchair diagnosing people with personality disorders, especially based on brief encounters, needs to seriously rethink their approach to interpersonal interactions, because there is no way your assessment can possibly be accurate. You can't just say "this person is sexual, thus hypersexual (first wrong assessment), thus histrionic (second even more wrong assessment)."

If you were a psychiatrist or psychologist this would be hugely unethical. Not that not being either makes it ethical, just that you'd be violating all kinds of professional standards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-25-17), mctavish23 (12-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-17, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,001 Times in 2,901 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
If you were a psychiatrist or psychologist this would be hugely unethical. Not that not being either makes it ethical, just that you'd be violating all kinds of professional standards.
Perhaps. But psychiatrists and psychologists are also individuals who approach what is considered "fact" in the medical field from their own angle. Two different "professionals" in the same field can judge the exact same person differently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
baical (12-02-17)
Old 10-25-17, 10:36 PM

Thanked 24,405 Times in 11,321 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical View Post
I hope I can make you understand;

Here goes: the title of the thread is meant to be a hyperbole!
Perhaps this was obvious to other readers, but I am clueless as to how one
was supposed to understand that you meant your post as hyperbole.

Do you mean you don't really wonder why you've been diagnosed with adhd?

Quote:
Considering it is in the "Personality Disorder" thread. I meant to speak of that disorder, not so much ADHD itself. Just upon observations of people and their behaviour, one with enough common sense can figure out what could possible be wrong with them. Ex: if one walks around with a limp, does it mean the person has polio? It's possible. But if you did some serious observation and realized the person was actually an athlete in school, THEN you could imply the person must have sprained his ankle? Right?
It seems that you left some information out of your original post about when
and where you had given these students some serious observation and not
just overheard them talking at a party.

It appears you're upset that those of us who responded didn't understand
either of these two points. Perhaps the problem was not in our inability to
comprehend, but in your ability to communicate.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-26-17, 03:01 PM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Perhaps. But psychiatrists and psychologists are also individuals who approach what is considered "fact" in the medical field from their own angle. Two different "professionals" in the same field can judge the exact same person differently.
This is true but it doesn't actually contradict or rebut what I said. If anything, it reinforces it.
Old 12-02-17, 05:05 PM
Contributor

baical will become famous soon enough

I guess what you're saying is I must have a PHD in psychiatry to get in one's head? Not careful observation or analyzing one's behavior? If you had enough emotional intelligence then you could easily know what someone is feeling or going through (empathy). Not many people have this...

I'm assuming not many on this thread have looked deeper into personality disorders, but more like psychiatric disorders since it's well studied.

Look into it please! Also, not everyone has to be a mathematician to know math! I can count money just fine!

What are the types of emotional intelligence?

Understanding the Five Categories of Emotional Intelligence (EQ)

Self-awareness. The ability to recognize an emotion as it “happens” is the key to your EQ. ... (take note: "as it happens", I can easily pick up on it as it happens! I'm not here to explain or prove anyone or my self wrong).

Self-regulation. You often have little control over when you experience emotions. ...

Motivation. ...

Empathy. ...

Social skills.

Quote:
And re the thread's topic, I think anyone who is out there armchair diagnosing people with personality disorders, especially based on brief encounters, needs to seriously rethink their approach to interpersonal interactions, because there is no way your assessment can possibly be accurate. You can't just say "this person is sexual, thus hypersexual (first wrong assessment), thus histrionic (second even more wrong assessment)."

Old 12-02-17, 05:10 PM
Contributor

If you can't pick up on it in "brief", you're out of luck!

What determines "accuracy", if you were to agree with me? If the people I've encountered "briefly" agreed with me?

If I were a psychiatrist, I'd just be following what's "ethical" in accordance to the DSM to make everyone happy...

Capiche?

Quote:

Old 12-02-17, 05:19 PM
Contributor

Their current "facts" are only facts due to what's considered approved and or "ethical" in the eyes of the American Psychiatric Association and or what's already in the DSM.

If one is to get DEEPER into this, there are controversial mental and personality disorders out there.

How many mental disorders are listed in the DSM 5?

The DSM-I, from 1952, listed 106; the DSM-III, from 1980, listed 265, and the current DSM-IV has 297. (Complaints about this ever-increasing total led the chair of the DSM-5 task force, David Kupfer, to announce that the total number of disorders in DSM-5 will not increase. Apr 12, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Old 12-02-17, 08:06 PM

Thanked 24,405 Times in 11,321 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical

Considering it is in the "Personality Disorder" thread. I meant to speak of that disorder, not so much ADHD itself. Just upon observations of people and their behaviour, one with enough common sense can figure out what could possible be wrong with them. Ex: if one walks around with a limp, does it mean the person has polio? It's possible. But if you did some serious observation and realized the person was actually an athlete in school, THEN you could imply the person must have sprained his ankle? Right?

What about other injuries relating to sports? Torn meniscus? Groin pull?
Hamstring strain? Shin splints?

Unless you are a medical professional you are just making a random guess.

A medical professional begins by asking questions such as "where does it
hurt?" and "what were you doing when it began to hurt?" They don't just
guess that it's the ankle that's been hurt just because the person plays
sports. They could be treating the wrong problem entirely.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fortune (12-12-17), mctavish23 (12-12-17)
Old 12-02-17, 09:35 PM

Thanked 20,372 Times in 10,847 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

A pebble in your shoe can really make you limp.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-02-17), mctavish23 (12-12-17)
Old 12-02-17, 09:40 PM

Thanked 13,583 Times in 6,062 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

baical, I've read the DSM-IV and DSM-5 back to front a few times each...especially enjoying the entries for the various psychopathologies.

Do you know what and who I am then qualified to diagnose?

Nothing and no one.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Fortune (12-12-17), mctavish23 (12-12-17)
Old 12-12-17, 05:46 PM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
I guess what you're saying is I must have a PHD in psychiatry to get in one's head? Not careful observation or analyzing one's behavior? If you had enough emotional intelligence then you could easily know what someone is feeling or going through (empathy). Not many people have this...
I am not saying you need a PhD to have empathy, I'm saying that you're not qualified to diagnose personality disorders in people after observing them at a night club. This isn't a careless claim, no one is qualified to make those diagnoses under the conditions you describe, and a psychiatrist doing what you're doing would rightly be considered to be unethical.

Quote:
I'm assuming not many on this thread have looked deeper into personality disorders, but more like psychiatric disorders since it's well studied.

Look into it please! Also, not everyone has to be a mathematician to know math! I can count money just fine!
I've actually studied personality disorders extensively. Not to the point of being a professional or being able to diagnose people with personality disorders, but I know enough to say that any claim that one can diagnose a PD from a brief encounter is ********.

And no, you haven't studied them extensively enough to be a professional or diagnose them either.

Quote:
If you can't pick up on it in "brief", you're out of luck!
No, you're a normal person, because normal people can't diagnose complicated mental illness issues just by observing how someone dresses in a nightclub.

Quote:
What determines "accuracy", if you were to agree with me? If the people I've encountered "briefly" agreed with me?
What determines accuracy is being correct, which I sincerely doubt you are. I am highly unlikely to agree with you, because what you've said so far is fallacious. I would only have your word that the people you've encountered briefly might have agreed with you, which means I'll give any such anecdote the same validity that I gave your initial anecdote.

Quote:
If I were a psychiatrist, I'd just be following what's "ethical" in accordance to the DSM to make everyone happy...

Capiche?
I don't think you understand what "ethical" means in this context. One of the things it means is you don't diagnose people based on brief contact.

Oh, and this (fundamental attribution error) might help you understand what you're actually doing when you diagnose people like this:

Quote:
The fundamental attribution error is the tendency people have to overemphasize personal characteristics and ignore situational factors in judging others’ behavior. Because of the fundamental attribution error, we tend to believe that others do bad things because they are bad people. We’re inclined to ignore situational factors that might have played a role.
What you said sounds like textbook fundamental attribution error. We can probably leave it at that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-12-17), mctavish23 (12-12-17)
Old 12-12-17, 08:14 PM

Thanked 10,120 Times in 3,183 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Far be it from me to interject an opinion here, but

Aside from the fact that (genuine) ADHD is primarily genetic in nature,

and assuming there's no history of TBI or neonatal complications, then

the (rational) response to the OP's question is probably found somewhere

among those possibilities

Otherwise, it's a lot more fun to wonder...

"Who Wrote the Book of Love?" *

*(Spoiler -3 members of "The Monotones (Warren Davis, George Malone,
and Charles Patrick (1957)"

U R Welcome
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-12-17), Fortune (12-16-17), Little Missy (12-12-17), Lunacie (12-12-17)
Old 12-13-17, 08:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,215 Times in 13,782 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in emotional intelligence and empathy. I believe that not everyone has it. I believe in gut feelings and hunches and interpersonal connections but that does not mean I am qualified to diagnose or even guess at what someone has going on mentally. Whether its mental illness or personality disorder, being adept at emotionally connecting with people doesnt make me a doctor or an expert. Yes, you could argue that psychiatry is part science,part empathy,part emotional intelligence but its just not. There is years of schooling and knowledge involved.
Some people dont like the DSM because they feel it changes too much, doesnt cover enough or is just plain wromg nut its what we've got to go with for now.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fortune (12-16-17), mctavish23 (12-14-17)