ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-29-17, 11:18 AM

Admummadme is on a distinguished road
Can Ritalin or other ADHD meds be prescribed if no diagnosis

Hi I’m in the UK. I wondered if anyone’s child has only a diagnosis of asd but has ADHD symptoms such as difficulty focussing, impulsivity, disorganised, difficulty sitting still and are prescribed meds to help focus? Ie in the UK can they only prescribe Ritalin or other ADHD meds for diagnosed ADHD?

We are awaiting second opinion for ADD assessment but convinced they won’t diagnose add/ADHD as comorbid as they have suggested all those symptoms are part of asd. Very frustrating for my D who is 16. She has an older brother 22 who has both ASD and ADHD and sane symptoms. He would not have got his GCSEs, Aleveks and Degree without meds. He and the whole family think she has ADHD. Psychologists said didn’t see it in the clinic. Her secondary school connors that show high likelihood of ADHD apparently don’t count.

If they won’t diagnose ADHD can they still prescribe meds to help her with focus and inattention. I’m convinced if she had behavioural issues they would be taking a different view.

Last edited by peripatetic; 10-29-17 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Add a couple of paragraph breaks; no other exits
The Following User Says Thank You to Admummadme For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-29-17)
Old 10-29-17, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,595 Times in 2,724 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can Ritalin or other ADHD meds be prescribed if no diagnosis

In special circumstances a psychiatrist or psychologist may recommend a trial period to see how things work out. I was offered this when I was around 16, but ended up turning it down.
Old 11-01-17, 01:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,299 Times in 13,281 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know the UK laws. Are you going through NHS or private?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-17, 04:35 AM

Admummadme is on a distinguished road

NHS it’s a second opinion.