ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-17, 11:32 PM

Mrsb4905 is on a distinguished road
ADHD and oral hypersensitivity

Hi. New member here. I have a pathological fear of the dentist. I hate the sound of the drill, the smell of a dentist office. The last time I had a cleaning, I was in tears by the end of it. The next appointment I had, I couldn't even go to, because I had a panic attack before I could even get out of bed and get ready. So I cancelled it. I have come to realize that what bothers me about the dentist, it the oral pain. When they floss me, or dig at me with that little metal pick, I come out of my skin. It's not like regular pain. It's like nails on a chalkboard, like chewing tin foil PLUS pain, and I just can't stand it. My question is, does anyone else have this? Could it be a sensory issue, tied in with my ADHD? I've often wondered, because I have major issues with food textures too. Biting into a hamburger with a hidden piece of lettuce will trip my gag reflex. And I read THAT can be tied in with ADHD. So I just wondered if the dental thing was too. If anyone else experienced it. TIA
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrsb4905 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-02-17), Little Missy (11-02-17), Snoopy10 (02-19-18), stef (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 08:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,378 Times in 11,465 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and oral hypersensitivity

I used to have all of the problems you mentioned so I informed the dentist of them and I get nitrous, ativan and valium at every appointment and it helps.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-02-17), Snoopy10 (02-19-18), stef (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 09:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,014 Times in 13,120 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problems!
I hope I can find a dentist here, who would do that.
mine was very kind and gentle, but he retired.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-02-17), Little Missy (11-02-17), Snoopy10 (02-19-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-18, 11:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsb4905 View Post
Hi. New member here. I have a pathological fear of the dentist. I hate the sound of the drill, the smell of a dentist office. The last time I had a cleaning, I was in tears by the end of it. The next appointment I had, I couldn't even go to, because I had a panic attack before I could even get out of bed and get ready. So I cancelled it. I have come to realize that what bothers me about the dentist, it the oral pain. When they floss me, or dig at me with that little metal pick, I come out of my skin. It's not like regular pain. It's like nails on a chalkboard, like chewing tin foil PLUS pain, and I just can't stand it. My question is, does anyone else have this? Could it be a sensory issue, tied in with my ADHD? I've often wondered, because I have major issues with food textures too. Biting into a hamburger with a hidden piece of lettuce will trip my gag reflex. And I read THAT can be tied in with ADHD. So I just wondered if the dental thing was too. If anyone else experienced it. TIA
This describes me exactly. The drill is the worst. I just had to have a temporary crown put on and I took 1mg clonopin before and asked the dr for extra numbing and to go slow with the drill (don’t press too hard) and it wasn’t too bad. I’m getting the permanent crown on Thursday and my last experience was so bareable that I’m going to skip the clonopin. I am like this with most dr procedures (except CT, MRIs bc you get to just lay there and do nothing). I used to have to get endoscopies for my Acid reflux and had such bad anxiety, my friend dropped me at the center, I walked in and then walked right out and went and had a coffee instead. Ask your primary care for a small Xanax prescription (like 10 pills or something) and take it every time until the fear starts to subside. Every bad experience creates a phobia-like situation.