ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-11-17, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Rudegar has a spectacular aura aboutRudegar has a spectacular aura about
ADHD and Jobs

I was diagnosed at 25 after many many years of wondering what was wrong with me and blaming myself and calling myself lazy over my inability to be motivated to do anything. When I graduated highschool I found myself absolutely miserable working any job I just would become depressed from being bored out of my mind. This realization made me begin to question what was wrong with me and long story shorter I learned about ADHD was diagnosed and for ten years have off and on been treated with medication and therapy.

I still struggle with work and motivation. I abhor the idea of applying for jobs the seemingly stupid process of applications and interviews and even worse the prospect of working some boring repetitive job like a drudgeon. It makes me anxious and depressed just thinking about it.

I am currently in therapy but it seems my therapist just wants to focus on "exposure therapy" rather than address that it might be ADHD related but I dont want to be so insistent that I ignore her professional expertise.

I am tired of feeling like my ADHD is not being addressed and that I am in the same place as I have always been.

How do you manage to work a boring job? Have you had a similar experience with work and how did you overcome it?

"At least I got to see some cool colors."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rudegar For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (11-05-17), stef (11-06-17)
Old 11-05-17, 08:14 PM

Curmudgeon is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD and Jobs

I'm new to these forums but not to having ADHD. I'm 48 and was diagnosed as a child (they didn't call it ADHD back then, of course).

What worked for me was finding out what kinds of jobs bored me to death and avoiding them like the plague. I CANNOT be an office worker, with my butt chained to a chair for 8-9 hours a day. Of the MANY jobs I've had in my life, the ones that were the best fit for me always had a balance between the mundane stuff (paperwork, computer operation, and other "officey" stuff) and some physical work, whether working in a lumber/building supply yard, being a delivery driver, or mobile customer service type work.

I don't know how old you are now, but maybe you can try taking some aptitude/personality tests to get a handle on what seems to stimulate your interest and imagination. There are many books and online resources for this. One caution though: if you take these tests, approach them as who you ARE, and not who you WISH you were. For instance, you might appreciate the value of being organized and good with numbers and accounting, but that doesn't mean that you ARE those things. Don't ask me how I came by this tidbit of "wisdom"...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:
Abshire (11-17-17), Robertpaulsen (11-07-17), stef (11-06-17)
Old 11-05-17, 10:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,596 Times in 2,725 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised. Humans were never supposed to be stuck in mind numbing repetitive machine-like jobs. It's not normal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-06-17), Curmudgeon (11-12-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-06-17), stef (11-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-17, 03:35 PM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold

When I worked at a fast paced job, I often had trouble keeping up because of my ADD symptoms and anxiety. When I worked at a slower paced job, I nearly died of boredom. Surfing the net was how I got through it, though I don't recommend that if it would get you in trouble at your job. But it all felt like a waste of time. I think I preferred the fast paced job, even though I sucked at it. It's a no-win situation for me, I guess. Hoping meds and counseling help. If you don't feel you are getting the treatment you need, you should probably look into seeing a different therapist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
Abshire (11-17-17), stef (11-06-17)
Old 11-07-17, 03:23 AM

Robertpaulsen is on a distinguished road

I think curmudgeon's advice is wise. I am fifty years old and have had over two hundred jobs, the longest lasting around four years. I certainly don't have it figured out, but have some insight into what doesn't work. All jobs are difficult at first while you learn the ropes, so don't get immediately discouraged. Give it an honest shot. On the other hand, no amount of compensation is worth strangling your spirit in a job that just doesn't fit your personality. All jobs suck on some level or they wouldn't have to pay people to do it, so find something in which you can get a measure of satisfaction even on a difficult day.
I quit law school because I had fantastically unrealistic expectations. The jobs I have enjoyed the most were as a ski lift operator and a parts puller at a junkyard. They both started at minimum wage. The career I've made peace with is freelance carpenter.
It will never be easy, but some suck less than others. So make an honest assessment and find something that fits your personal style.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robertpaulsen For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-07-17), WhiteOwl (11-07-17)
Old 11-07-17, 07:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,328 Times in 10,272 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I can only actually work 3-4 hours at a time. Any longer than that and I make up my own rules.

But, I can out work anyone for that 3-4 hours.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-07-17)