ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 11-11-17, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Charmcityguy22 will become famous soon enough
Anxiety and medication

I've got severe anxiety and have had it for years,I'm taking Ativan at the moment and just took my last dose today.im working with my primary doctor to find a great anti-anxiety med like ativan with less side effects but is not addicting and last long term,he prescribed me Buspar and I want to start it but am worry about the side effects and the dizziness,if I do start it can I cut the dose in half for a week or two.have people had good results with it.as well any other meds that you can recommend that don't take long to work.i also tried Pedal to but the side effects in the beginning where to much.i need something to also relax my muscles.thanks and have a great weekend.
Old 11-12-17, 06:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety and medication

I take buspar and yes its takes awhile but one day I woke up and realized that the crushing undertone of anxiety wasnt there anymore. I felt like it wasnt the fuel revving my engine. I am better able to deal with stress but its not a med for panic attacks or acute anxiety.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-12-17, 08:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Charmcityguy22 will become famous soon enough

Ok great,I just don't want to take for the dizziness side effect?but hopefully it will help calm down my anxiety,can I cut it in half the first few weeks?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-17, 10:52 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I'm no longer able to take many medications due to the side effects ultimately outweighing the benefits.

That also requires me to remember the painful truth I first stumbled upon in this forum space many years ago, that pills don't teach skills.

One of the most helpful tools I use to manage my anxiety now is my breath.

Diaphragmatic breathing, alternate nostril breathing, counted breaths, rhythmic breathing, etc. all have helped me more than I ever realized was possible.

Here's the first breathing exercise that turned me on to the power our breath can have:

I found that in order for the breath work to be effective when I need it the most, I must continually practice it daily.

It's now very much a regular part of each day, on purpose.

Prior to learning this technique, I assumed I had my breathing very much under control since I was still alive and stuff. Not so much.

Best wishes for finding some lasting relief, however it may arrive.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown