ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-17, 01:20 PM
westmtn westmtn is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
westmtn is on a distinguished road
1 Week Into New Diagnosis - So Many Questions

I was diagnosed about a week ago and I have so many questions. I'm in my early 30s and I never even considered I might have ADD until I took a friends Adderall for the fist time a couple weeks ago. Let me give you guys some brief history.

- Mostly C student through high school and college unless it was a course that really interested me then an A would come easy. I had all A's through my last year off college (all interesting classes). It took me 7 years to get through college.

-Studying and homework would always be a huge chore. I wouldn't study or do papers until the last possible second. This has followed me into my job.

-I drank copious amounts of coffee as it was the only way to be productive.

-Social situations were always a burden. I'm quiet around people I don't know well. I hated and would intentionally avoid small talk. I have found confidence in my job and have learned the "art" of conversation but it often feels like acting and is tiresome. I also self medicate with alcohol and tend to drink a lot in general but especially in social situations.

-I often day dream and easily fall into self delusion.

-I get obsessive about hobbies or things I am interested in. For example I'll take up something like mountain biking and then proceed to buy the most expensive bike with all the gear and read mountain biking forums for hours a day.

-I'm impulsive with money. I've always had a hard time saving money and have run up credit cards on purchases just to make myself happy. I have this reputation in my family which I would very much like to get rid of.

-I've always enjoyed uppers. I've never been a fan of marijuana or anything that would bring me down with the exception of alcohol. Any other downer and I would just turn into a zombie and was incapable of talking.

-My wife complains about my personality and describes me as stoic and often complains when I'm quiet and won't carry on a conversation. She also complains about my disorganization. My car and my closet are always messy.

Here's what I noticed when I take Adderall.

-Words are easy and talking is enjoyable. There used to be a disconnect between my thought and my words. I didn't notice this until it was gone. I would often start to say one thing but finish saying something else. This often led to mixing up words. On Adderall I actually enjoy small talk and find it incredibly easy. I feel like I could go to a party and not need alcohol.

-Work/chores/tasks come easy and are actually enjoyable. I know what I need to do and I just do it. Amazing..

-I have crystal clear thoughts. I feel like for once I can see myself and my actions without any delusion. I know that spending money on something frivolous will not make me happy. I know I need to focus on my long term goals. I know I need to focus on my relationship.

-I'm happy. This is probably related to the 3 above but I have hope. It's like a depression has lifted that I didn't know was there. This is the emotional part.

Long story short.

I've been to a doctor and filled out questionnaires as well as a long conversation covering many aspects of my life. He said I should have been there years ago and he prescribed me Adderall 15mg in the morning and 15mg at noon.

Here are my questions...

1. From what I've read my body will get used to the medication which means I'll lose the stimulant effect but the medication will still work for ADHD symptoms? Is this accurate? I've been taking it about a week and already feel the stimulant effect wearing down but I'm also still having all the positive effects of the medication.

2. One potential side effect is the lack of quality sleep. I've slept like **** the last week. Will this get better as my body gets used to the medication?

3. Is it common to quit drinking alcohol and coffee when starting Adderall. I've switched to decaff coffee and really cut down on the alcohol over the last week. I've noticed alcohol no longer has an affect on me. Is this something that will go away once my body gets used to it?

4. Are there any medical concerns about taking this medication long term? I do have slightly raised blood pressure 135-140 / 80-85. I'm monitoring daily hoping this will come down as I get off coffee and start drinking less. It hasn't gone up from the Adderall.

5. I've noticed some people take the weekends off or take 1 day a week off the medication. Is there a good reason to do this? Right now I don't want to go back to how I was. Even for a day.

Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to westmtn For This Useful Post:
Cat Noir (11-13-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-12-17), wonderboy (11-12-17)
  #2  
Old 11-13-17, 05:29 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,172
Thanks: 5,744
Thanked 32,569 Times in 15,080 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1 Week Into New Diagnosis - So Many Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmtn View Post
I was diagnosed about a week ago and I have so many questions. I'm in my early 30s and I never even considered I might have ADD until I took a friends Adderall for the fist time a couple weeks ago. Let me give you guys some brief history.

- Mostly C student through high school and college unless it was a course that really interested me then an A would come easy. I had all A's through my last year off college (all interesting classes). It took me 7 years to get through college.

-Studying and homework would always be a huge chore. I wouldn't study or do papers until the last possible second. This has followed me into my job.
What symptoms did you have before high school when you were younger?


Quote:
-Social situations were always a burden. I'm quiet around people I don't know well. I hated and would intentionally avoid small talk. I have found confidence in my job and have learned the "art" of conversation but it often feels like acting and is tiresome. I also self medicate with alcohol and tend to drink a lot in general but especially in social situations.
People with adhd are statistically more likely to develop substance use disorders so its important to make sure this is something you can stop.

Quote:

-I get obsessive about hobbies or things I am interested in. For example I'll take up something like mountain biking and then proceed to buy the most expensive bike with all the gear and read mountain biking forums for hours a day.
I get this. I am the same way with stuff like organizing. I will buy out staples for planners and highlighters and crap like that only to see it sit in the shopping bags.

Quote:
-I'm impulsive with money. I've always had a hard time saving money and have run up credit cards on purchases just to make myself happy. I have this reputation in my family which I would very much like to get rid of.
I used to be like this and only in the last 7 years gotten better due to the fact that I have kids.

Quote:
-I've always enjoyed uppers. I've never been a fan of marijuana or anything that would bring me down with the exception of alcohol. Any other downer and I would just turn into a zombie and was incapable of talking.
I never did "uppers" but I self medicated with alcohol which made me feel depressed but still affected me as if it was like an upper- causing me to be wild and out of hand.

Quote:

Here's what I noticed when I take Adderall.

-Words are easy and talking is enjoyable. There used to be a disconnect between my thought and my words. I didn't notice this until it was gone. I would often start to say one thing but finish saying something else. This often led to mixing up words. On Adderall I actually enjoy small talk and find it incredibly easy. I feel like I could go to a party and not need alcohol.

-Work/chores/tasks come easy and are actually enjoyable. I know what I need to do and I just do it. Amazing..

-I have crystal clear thoughts. I feel like for once I can see myself and my actions without any delusion. I know that spending money on something frivolous will not make me happy. I know I need to focus on my long term goals. I know I need to focus on my relationship.

-I'm happy. This is probably related to the 3 above but I have hope. It's like a depression has lifted that I didn't know was there. This is the emotional part.
You may not want to hear this but adderall is abused on campus' and by people for the very reasons you mentioned and it doesnt necessarily mean you have adhd. If there were no good stuff from it, people wouldnt use it as a study aid or performance enhancer. Someone's reaction to taking adderall has nothing to do with whether or not they have adhd.


Quote:
1. From what I've read my body will get used to the medication which means I'll lose the stimulant effect but the medication will still work for ADHD symptoms? Is this accurate? I've been taking it about a week and already feel the stimulant effect wearing down but I'm also still having all the positive effects of the medication.
The best way I have heard it is, adderall and other stimulants 'hum' in the backround. Sort of like a clothes dryer- when you first turn it on its loud and noticeble but after awhile its in the backround and kind of soothing. You know its still drying your clothes but its not so jarring or loud.

Quote:
2. One potential side effect is the lack of quality sleep. I've slept like **** the last week. Will this get better as my body gets used to the medication?
This is an important one. Did you ever have sleep issues even before you were on medication?

Quote:
3. Is it common to quit drinking alcohol and coffee when starting Adderall. I've switched to decaff coffee and really cut down on the alcohol over the last week. I've noticed alcohol no longer has an affect on me. Is this something that will go away once my body gets used to it?
Not sure if its common per se but I think it depends on a lot of things including if you are prone to addiction and if your drinking or whatever was bordering on misuse/abuse. Mine was and I am an alcoholic. I have always been a coffee freak but insteading of drinking a pot everyday now, I have 2 or three cups.
Quote:
4. Are there any medical concerns about taking this medication long term? I do have slightly raised blood pressure 135-140 / 80-85. I'm monitoring daily hoping this will come down as I get off coffee and start drinking less. It hasn't gone up from the Adderall.
are you on any blood pressure medication?

Quote:
5. I've noticed some people take the weekends off or take 1 day a week off the medication. Is there a good reason to do this? Right now I don't want to go back to how I was. Even for a day.
This is up for debate I guess but I look at it this way? Adhd causes impairments that are chronic and 24/7/365. Why would I only want to treat it sometimes. People bring up tolerance a lot too, but IME its not very or as common with clinically prescribeable amounts than it is with abuse or misuse level amounts but there are some people that are such fast metabolizers that they can have issues with long term dosing. IME there is no reduction with tolerance or reducing/ preventing it by taking days off. If you are going to have a problem with it, taking days off wont solve it.
ps I dont mean to imply you do not have adhd when I responded earlier in the post, just wanted to clarify.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-17, 05:42 PM
PoppnNSailinMan's Avatar
PoppnNSailinMan PoppnNSailinMan is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 573
Thanks: 1,278
Thanked 864 Times in 404 Posts
PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: 1 Week Into New Diagnosis - So Many Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
You may not want to hear this but adderall is abused on campus' and by people for the very reasons you mentioned and it doesnt necessarily mean you have adhd. If there were no good stuff from it, people wouldnt use it as a study aid or performance enhancer. Someone's reaction to taking adderall has nothing to do with whether or not they have adhd.
I don't know a lot about his issue, but I would think that how someone reacts to stimulants would tell us something about whether they have ADHD. It seems somewhat significant that a person who had a foggy head before, now has "crystal clear thoughts" after starting a stimulant. In my case, I'm amazed by the fact that after a lifetime of having difficulty in reading books for any extended period of time and almost never finishing any of them, since my dosage of Vyvanse was raised three weeks ago, I'm finding it much easier to read. Or there is the fact that I feel much more calm and quiet inside since I started taking Vyvanse. These kinds of changes are no doubt a result of Adderall or Vyvanse causing neurons in the brain to release more dopamine and block the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine.

This effect of taking these kinds of stimulants might also benefit someone who doesn't have ADHD to some extent, but I doubt that the difference between how they function with a stimulant and how they normally function without one will be quite as dramatic.
__________________
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 11-14-17, 05:24 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,172
Thanks: 5,744
Thanked 32,569 Times in 15,080 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1 Week Into New Diagnosis - So Many Questions

I get what you mean. my only point was that these are abused on campus's and by students and highly driven people for a reason. Those reasons are usually because they can give you drive and persistence and all the other things that make you motivated to stay the course. If they only worked for people that had adhd that would be one thing but they "work" for people without adhd. The person with adhd though gets to a level playing field. The person without adhd ends up using them as a performance enhancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I don't know a lot about his issue, but I would think that how someone reacts to stimulants would tell us something about whether they have ADHD. It seems somewhat significant that a person who had a foggy head before, now has "crystal clear thoughts" after starting a stimulant. In my case, I'm amazed by the fact that after a lifetime of having difficulty in reading books for any extended period of time and almost never finishing any of them, since my dosage of Vyvanse was raised three weeks ago, I'm finding it much easier to read. Or there is the fact that I feel much more calm and quiet inside since I started taking Vyvanse. These kinds of changes are no doubt a result of Adderall or Vyvanse causing neurons in the brain to release more dopamine and block the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine.

This effect of taking these kinds of stimulants might also benefit someone who doesn't have ADHD to some extent, but I doubt that the difference between how they function with a stimulant and how they normally function without one will be quite as dramatic.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (11-14-17)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know gabriela Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 85 07-29-15 03:51 PM
My journey to a diagnosis thus far... psychopathetic Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 2 12-18-13 05:57 AM
ADD Diagnosis and questions therein looming Inattentive ADD 1 03-27-12 08:40 PM
Diagnosis in the UK, some useful information. Tbonewilson Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 0 08-15-11 05:50 PM
Swapping a nonADD Brain for an ADD Brain for 1 Week! GirlDriver General ADD Talk 11 11-07-04 11:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums