ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-16-17, 01:21 PM
Jr Member

kittens9595 is on a distinguished road
ADHD worsened + my story

Hello! I will pour my story here because i think i need to tell it exhaustively for you to better understand

I have always been a successful student. I was so good in classes. I don’t recall not being able to focus as a child but my mom does mention that i would walk on the couches as i watched cartoons. I’d sometimes space out in classes though, because of daydreaming. I have always daydreamed. I still do, i still have imaginary friends even though i have so many real friends and I’m 22 years old.

3 years ago i was sexually assaulted. After that i was very scared of public transportation but i had to use it. A few months later it faded away but then i started having very intrusive thoughts. Then i saw a therapist and i was diagnosed with OCD. My intrusive thoughts were actually not new, they started especially when i was 9, I’d avoid stepping on cracks etc. and I’d seldomly have intrusive thoughts but they increased at the age of 19. I have been using Selectra since September 2015. My highest dose was 100 mg along with 5 mg of Abilify. Now i use 50 mg of Selectra and 5 mg of abilify (i use abilify one day and the next day not)

Finally, about focusing problems, in high school my focus started worsening. I managed to get into a good university and have 3.3 GPA in my first semester. However, it gradually lowered and now i have 2.6. Since last year (my 3rd hear in uni) it’s even worse. I keep looking at twitter during classes. Actually, i can’t focus on anything else besides social media. Even on twitter, i have difficulties reading 280 character tweets. I was a bookworm but now i cant finish any books. I love watching anime but i can’t focus more than 10 mins, i keep stopping while watching a 25 mins long ep! I can’t focus even if my phone is closed while i study, i change places, i take walks but nothing helps. Last month i attended a concert of a group I like and i even got bored there, wanted it to be over so i could go to my place and relax. I keep forgetting things I’m supposed to do. I even forget what happened at the anime i watched last week. I have no motivation for anything. Academic career was one of my plans but it seems impossible now. I’m so scared of telling it to my parents, they know about my OCD but they’ll probably think i got lazier and I’m finding excuses. Am i finding excuses? It seems to me that i actually don’t because i really try to focus but i can’t. I get demotivated each time i fail to understand.

Edit: also, i sleep a lot. I used to sleep 7-8 hrs but now if i don’t get myself out of the bed, i sleep 10 hours. I sometimes have daytime sleepiness to the point where i take naps. This didn’t happen till last year, I’d wake up at 9 am no matter how late i slept.

Sorry for my long post, I’m just desperate for a help
Old 11-16-17, 02:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,889 Times in 11,125 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD worsened + my story

What are you taking for it?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 11-16-17, 03:29 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
What are you taking for it?
If i understood your question right, Iím not taking any medicine for adhd currently, my therapist said we can start Ritalin in the future though
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-17, 05:26 PM

Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,171 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like depression to me.

Yeah there is some ADHD attention issues, but when you're depression everything loses its appeal ... everything seems a pain to do ... and the extra sleep sounds definitely like depression.

Has this possibility been discussed in your therapy?

Tone
Old 11-16-17, 05:38 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
Sounds like depression to me.

Yeah there is some ADHD attention issues, but when you're depression everything loses its appeal ... everything seems a pain to do ... and the extra sleep sounds definitely like depression.

Has this possibility been discussed in your therapy?

Tone
Yes this makes sense to me but i also canít focus on anything so i think adhd is a possibility as well. We didnít really discuss depression. Iím not well educated about it but most of the time Iím cheerful. I get random anxiety attacks sometimes though.
Old 11-16-17, 09:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

Depression will definitely cause you to lose focus and concentration.. Been there, got the T Shirt and everything. Hope I never go there again.

Tell your doc everything you told us, see what a medical professional has to say. We are just adders, and I might be barely qualified to give any advice.
Old 11-16-17, 09:42 PM

Thanked 6,021 Times in 2,907 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittens9595 View Post
Yes this makes sense to me but i also canít focus on anything so i think adhd is a possibility as well. We didnít really discuss depression. Iím not well educated about it but most of the time Iím cheerful. I get random anxiety attacks sometimes though.
ADHD doesn't just occur one day. It's life long from start to finish.