ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-13-17, 03:11 PM

RunMom89 is on a distinguished road
Red face Daughter's neck twitch 2 mos on concerta

My 7-year daughter started concerta at the end of August first 18mg and then 36 mg. She had been on 36mg for 2 months when she suddenly started turning her head to the left to take deep breaths and also sniffing a lot. The 'crash' in the afternoon was also really difficult

We just reduced her dosage to 18mg to see if it helps with the neck-thing. But now she is having trouble concentrating in school.

Has anyone else seen tic-like behaviors on concerta?

Considering switching to Strattera but I'm afraid of the nausea side effects I read about b/c my daughter eats like a bird already, so taking meds on a full stomach is difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to RunMom89 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 05:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,917 Times in 12,089 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Daughter's neck twitch 2 mos on concerta

Did the doctor recommend lowering the dose? Have you talked with the doctor?

Tics do sometimes happen on stimulant meds. Doesn't mean it will happen if
you try a different stimulant med.

The crash can be somewhat aleviated by taking a small dose mid-afternoon,
as long as it doesn't interfere with sleep.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-13-17), RunMom89 (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 06:54 PM

Yes, lowering the dosage was one of our choices for addressing the tic suggested by her doctor. She also said what you did about taking a second small dose; but we decided that the tic is the more immediate concern. (Although all of it concerns me)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-17, 05:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

clonidine is good for motor tics. I am not saying this is one of them but it can help. My son used to have a throat clearing one and it helped. its also good for adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
RunMom89 (11-20-17)
Old 11-14-17, 11:37 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

My kids didn't have twitches but they both like the Clonidine at night, and my son takes it in the morning to clear his head and get the ADHD meds to work.

If concerta is problematic my son did well on that as well as Adderal XR, it might be a good alternate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
RunMom89 (11-20-17)
Old 11-15-17, 07:59 PM

meret96 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Daughter's neck twitch 2 mos on concerta

Wow, your daughter sounds just like me I was having the exact same problem on concerta. It seemed better than adderall but just not quite there. On my journey after concerta, I switched to vyvanse which worked at a low dosage for a while. the coming off of stimulants is somewhat of a nightmare for me and for years was so frustrating because I knew i wasn't myself when i was acting out or feeling sad and whatnot. It turns out my body is just very sensitive to stimulants and the come down. so after being on vyvanse for like 4 or 5 years i just switched to Strattera. I will be honest, the nausea is somewhat of a hell especially for the first week. Then it gets a little better but still need a little bit of breathing techniques only somedays.

I can't say I have extensive experience since i just started it about 3 months ago, but I am so much happier on it. I would always take nausea over losing my personality and all the twitching and tearful nights on other stimulants. Here's my bottom line: If the twitching is the problem, you need to reduce the dose. She needs to understand that she's going to need to work really hard to do well in school but its worth it. I found that for me a small dose worked well and then a little coffee throughout the day was a good way to keep the effect/mental effect of focus long term. If the coming off is the problem area, then maybe look into strattera or another 24 hour medicine. Its also a non-stimulant so twitching doesn't occur. Considering the nausea is a great call though it is nothing small. Sorry so long, I just took my strattera and got on a roll

Last edited by peripatetic; 11-15-17 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: added a paragraph to ease reading
The Following User Says Thank You to meret96 For This Useful Post:
RunMom89 (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 06:40 PM

Thank you all! I’m sorry I had a busy week after posting this and couldn’t get back to it. Her Dr prescribed guanfacine in addition to the concerta. She started on Saturday, and was half asleep all day, so we cut back to 1/2mg as suggested by dr. Her dr also referred her to a behavioral pediatrician at UM who she had consulted with in making these recommendations, we are in Miami. It’s so frustrating, at first concerta seemed great and I thought we might avoid all of the medication trial and error I’ve heard about. It is so hard watching her- she’s not herself and the breathing/neck thing is getting so disruptive. So far in these 3 days I haven’t seemed any improvement with the guanfacine.

Her dr has wanted to avoid Adderall bc my daughter is so tiny already and she concerned about weight loss.
Old 11-20-17, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meret96 View Post
Wow, your daughter sounds just like me I was having the exact same problem on concerta. It seemed better than adderall but just not quite there. On my journey after concerta, I switched to vyvanse which worked at a low dosage for a while. the coming off of stimulants is somewhat of a nightmare for me and for years was so frustrating because I knew i wasn't myself when i was acting out or feeling sad and whatnot. It turns out my body is just very sensitive to stimulants and the come down. so after being on vyvanse for like 4 or 5 years i just switched to Strattera. I will be honest, the nausea is somewhat of a hell especially for the first week. Then it gets a little better but still need a little bit of breathing techniques only somedays.
meret96 thank you for sharing your personal experience! I really look forward to when G will be able to understand how to use coping strategies. I feel like between gen emotional rollercoaster she’s always on, her ADD, and now experimenting with medication she doesn’t know how to cope. And she’s 7- sometimes I feel like it would be difficult for a much older and more mature person to deal with all she’s managing.