ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-20-17, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

bwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nicebwalwayswins is just really nice
EEG and Biofeedback Therapy

Hello,
My 11 year old medicated son is having a horrible school year. We just finished up with the school evaluation and they did determine his ADHD is effecting him enough at school that he qualified for a IEP. Unfortunately its so close to Thanksgiving that most of the "helpers" he has now- are off til the Holiday is over and the "i'm just letting you know what I am seeing" texts continue everyday. Which basically at this point paints my son as someone they are just babysitting all day. He was on 54 mgs of Concerta, it was no longer doing much (according to the teacher) so we switched him to Adderall and (shocker) she says he is still doing next to nothing all day in school. Hes at 20 mgs currently. No improvement.

Back to the question - i made an appt to have a brain mapping done and perhaps start EEG bio feedback therapy. Its expensive (since Insurance doesn't cover it) but its not of the realm of possibility. Honestly, my husband went to the urologist last year, was told to come back several times and they did multiple tests and it all together costed about the same as this therapy and I still don't understand what the heck the urologist was looking for...what they found, what the heck the point ANY of that was for....so its not like we haven't wasted money on medical treatments in the past.

I guess at this point - i don't expect it to even work. I just want to know we tried everything. I'm so tired of the "have you tried......" questions. Have you tried melatonin? Have you tried oils? Have you tried talk therapy? Have you tried diet changes.... And having to go down the laundry list of yes, we tried it all. None of it helps. Even the meds barely help. They keep him tolerable. Thats it. He takes a pill to stay in the room, he takes a pill to go to sleep. He wakes up and takes a pill, eats dinner and then takes a pill....and he is still barely functioning at school. Its all so depressing.

Anyone have any luck with it? It sounds interesting.

Last edited by bwalwayswins; 11-20-17 at 10:49 PM..
Old 11-21-17, 02:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EEG and Biofeedback Therapy

Good luck ... Sounds like your expectations are thoroughly realistic and reasonable.

My current therapist used to specialized in ADHD treatment with biofeedback and neurofeedback (eeg) ... he no longer uses those methods ... because he concluded that he could do some of the same work without all the equipment.

But he still does a lot of work with me on meditation and various forms of concentration (which is sorta what the neurofeedback is all about) ... And he he has led me through biofeedback exercises, which I use ...

With a little luck, there's a good chance your child will get a lot out of the treatment. My therapist is one of the smartest people I know ...

Tone
Old 11-21-17, 09:49 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Um, I am not judging but here is my opinion. All that stuff is unproven expensive crap.

My son was on 54mg concerta and had to go to 40mg Aderal XR. Sounds to me like he isn't dosed enough yet.

He also doesn't do anything in school because he doesn't want to, not because his meds aren't working. My son also received an IEP and that allowed him to go into CO-taught, or team-taught classes. Two teachers, one teaches the others get the kids engaged. Send an email to the school and ask if they have such a thing. My kid went from almost failing 8th grade, with THREE near failing classes, to almost on the honor roll in 10th grade. It's been a miracle!

Don't spend money on hocus pocus, spend money on the stuff that has been proven to have an effect. My son has every class co-taught now AND a mandatory study hall where he has to work on school work and his whole life has changed. I really didn't think college would be in the cards and now we are looking at a possible academic scholarship! Act now, before it's too late.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-29-17), Little Missy (11-21-17), Lunacie (12-29-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-17, 06:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalwayswins View Post
Hello,
My 11 year old medicated son is having a horrible school year. We just finished up with the school evaluation and they did determine his ADHD is effecting him enough at school that he qualified for a IEP. Unfortunately its so close to Thanksgiving that most of the "helpers" he has now- are off til the Holiday is over and the "i'm just letting you know what I am seeing" texts continue everyday. Which basically at this point paints my son as someone they are just babysitting all day. He was on 54 mgs of Concerta, it was no longer doing much (according to the teacher) so we switched him to Adderall and (shocker) she says he is still doing next to nothing all day in school. Hes at 20 mgs currently. No improvement.

Back to the question - i made an appt to have a brain mapping done and perhaps start EEG bio feedback therapy. Its expensive (since Insurance doesn't cover it) but its not of the realm of possibility. Honestly, my husband went to the urologist last year, was told to come back several times and they did multiple tests and it all together costed about the same as this therapy and I still don't understand what the heck the urologist was looking for...what they found, what the heck the point ANY of that was for....so its not like we haven't wasted money on medical treatments in the past.

I guess at this point - i don't expect it to even work. I just want to know we tried everything. I'm so tired of the "have you tried......" questions. Have you tried melatonin? Have you tried oils? Have you tried talk therapy? Have you tried diet changes.... And having to go down the laundry list of yes, we tried it all. None of it helps. Even the meds barely help. They keep him tolerable. Thats it. He takes a pill to stay in the room, he takes a pill to go to sleep. He wakes up and takes a pill, eats dinner and then takes a pill....and he is still barely functioning at school. Its all so depressing.

Anyone have any luck with it? It sounds interesting.
Talk therapy and meds. Most reliable track record and affordable.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (01-02-18)
Old 12-29-17, 10:37 AM

Celestedu is on a distinguished road

We have also tried almost everything. My 10 year old son went for 20 Bio-Feedback sessions and we saw no difference at all. Most disappointing experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Celestedu For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (01-02-18)
Old 12-29-17, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Psychostimulants are *the* first-line treatment for ADHD...for a reason.

It sounds like it is time for a reassessment of dosage and a new process of titration.

Don’t waste your time and money on quackery...go for what has been shown to work by means of clinically-verified results.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (01-02-18), Little Missy (12-29-17), WhiteOwl (12-31-17)