ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-21-17, 05:09 PM
Jr Member

AndreaC is on a distinguished road
Epic Work Failure

Hello all,

I'm going down the black hole in yet another job. There are no talks of canning me (not yet anyway), but I just can't stop making stupid mistakes!! Accidentally removed a committee member from the meeting invite. She missed the meeting and is upset. Was 100% sure I had all the forms I needed to pass out in the meeting. Got there and realized I left one out. Put the wrong version of a form in the packet and everyone in the room was confused. On and on. Mistake after lousy mistake. I know my manager and others think I'm incompetent and stupid. It's truly embarrassing to walk around your job knowing that others are probably talking about you and judging you as a dimwit. But like all the jobs before this one, I knew it wasn't a good fit for me when I interviewed for the position. I didn't like the job before I even accepted their offer. When they told me I'd be MANAGING the entire documentation process for a county organization and that I'd be responsible for forms documentation for 3 hospitals and 21 clinics, I knew I would be in waaay over my head. I didn't want the job. I knew I would fail mega ADD style. I even prayed that they wouldn't call me back. But they did. And I had to take it because I was down to my last unemployment check.

I'm at my wits in. I don't know what type of career to go into that will not aggravate my ADHD symptoms. I'm a 43-year-old mom of one. I wasted several years of my life getting a bachelors degree in a field I wasn't interested in. Turned around and got a masters degree in a field that I'm somewhat interested in but in this town that degree keeps me in jobs that aggravate the ADHD. I don't have the time nor the money to start fresh again. I have no idea what to try next. I can't just take anything because I have to make a certain amount of money just to pay all my bills, forget about surviving and thriving. I am drowning in debt/bills and at work. My life is a mess. I do not know what to do or where to go from here. I just know that I have to find what will work for me professionally and I truly don't know how to do that.

Any advice?

Last edited by AndreaC; 09-21-17 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Remove profanity
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndreaC For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-21-17), finallyfound10 (09-21-17), stef (09-21-17)
Old 09-21-17, 05:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Epic Work Failure

Are you medicated?

Wondering,
Ian
Old 09-21-17, 06:08 PM

Thanked 1,555 Times in 856 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any advice as I would be in your exact same shoes. That would be a terrible job for me! You must interview really well and have good resume, which isn't good in this case! It is a terrible feeling to have co-workers know you've messed up!!

I truly do feel your pain. I hope things work out for you!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-17, 07:32 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Are you medicated?

Wondering,
Ian
Hi Ian, I'm not on meds right now, but I have an appt coming up soon to start them.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndreaC For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-21-17)
Old 09-21-17, 07:33 PM

aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaC View Post
Hi Ian, I'm not on meds right now, but I have an appt coming up soon to start them.
Good to hear...they can make all the difference in the world.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 09-21-17, 07:38 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I don't have any advice as I would be in your exact same shoes. That would be a terrible job for me! You must interview really well and have good resume, which isn't good in this case! It is a terrible feeling to have co-workers know you've messed up!!

I truly do feel your pain. I hope things work out for you!!
Hi FinallyFound. Yes I interview well (I've been through so many jobs I've become a pro at it) and I have an impressive resume. I've worked at some well known companies in my industry and folks look at my resume and experience on paper and are wowed. But that's just it. I look great on paper. Get me on the job and I'm a complete failure. I've got to find the job/career that I'm suited for. I can't keep going on like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndreaC For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-21-17)
Old 09-22-17, 03:17 AM

ScatterBrainX will become famous soon enough

I fully empathize with you! Small, inattentive mistakes like that are the bane of my existence!

One thing I learned is that feeling guilty or worried isn't helping anyone.
What helps is trying to find a way to overcome them.

Meds will help a lot. They have reduced my mistake rate by quite a bit.
Mindfulness also helps. It keeps the mind from being quite as distracted, and helps with focusing on the task at hand.

But, in the short term, see what kind of coping mechanisms you can develop, even if they seem a bit overly-cautious.

One idea: checklists! For every single step! And only check the mark when you are done with the task (but do so immediately after).
You have to invite X members? Set up a checkbox for each.
Everything you bring in a meeting goes on a checklist.
Double or even triple-check that you have the right forms in every packet before the meeting.
Maybe have 1-2 extra copies of the forms, just in case you realize you forgot one during the meeting.

Also, make sure everything is ready in good time, so you don't end up rushing to grab everything just before the meeting starts.

You can do this!
It will be hard, and it will take a while to find strategies that work for you.
But know that others like you have managed to improve a lot in this regard.
It will never be perfect, but it will be much better.
stef (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 11:49 AM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Quote:
This is one area I think melds come into there own. Those little things that others won't get over if there missed.

On a good day, could have great focus for 12 hrs. I enjoyed this because it had been forever before I could do this.

This is one of the reasons I am loathe to give them up. Maybe if I was retired and taking it easier.

I've now noticed that meds have dropped off a bit.
Old 09-22-17, 12:31 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm at my wits in. I don't know what type of career to go into that will not aggravate my ADHD symptoms.
Some jobs are probably more difficult for many people with ADHD not only because they require an attention to detail, but also just because they're boring and people with ADHD have an especially difficult time tolerating boredom.

I worked for a while for an insurance company and for eight hours a day, five days a week, I spent most of my time sitting in an office cubicle by myself doing paperwork. It was such a boring job that it felt like pure torture every day! During the afternoons, I usually got to where I started to feel sleepy and could hardly keep my eyes open. I quit that job after two months.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-22-17), stef (09-23-17), TheGreatKing (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 07:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Good to hear...they can make all the difference in the world.

Cheers,
Ian
They are great, but when i take my concerta and when it wears off i start getting a headache every time.
aeon (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatKing View Post
They are great, but when i take my concerta and when it wears off i start getting a headache every time.
The comedown for me from methylphenidate...the headache, the utter brain fog, the irritable feeling...was part of the reason I moved to dextroamphetamine sulfate...which presents no such problems for me.

Interestingly enough, dextromethylphenidate (Focalin) never did that to me.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 11:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The comedown for me from methylphenidate...the headache, the utter brain fog, the irritable feeling...was part of the reason I moved to dextroamphetamine sulfate...which presents no such problems for me.

Interestingly enough, dextromethylphenidate (Focalin) never did that to me.

Cheers,
Ian
hmmm....maybe i will have to try that.
aeon (09-23-17)
Old 09-23-17, 03:47 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,908 Times in 13,069 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I have an office job and parts are overwhelming and difficult
I think I would find what you describe, very difficult
The advice above is excellent!
If these meetings requiring documents are planned in advance , start collecting and assembling way, way before the meeting
Write what they are on big postits and thick marker
Make some notes for yourself , if something has a complicated file name it can also be in your personal shorthand " the one that's blue at the top", " the one thats super long", etc.

I do this because i either gave to print or scan attachments and i get really confused with this and often forget to print one.
(I dont know if this is any help i have a visual memory...)

I just got diagnosed and it makes a huge difference
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-23-17), Little Missy (09-23-17), PoppnNSailinMan (09-23-17)
Old 10-30-17, 05:49 PM
Jr Member

Bacon & Eggs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Meds made a world of difference for me! Been on them 23 years now.
Old 11-21-17, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

well, you can either take a step down professionally and get two jobs to compensate for lost income, or overcompensate at the job you have and devise checks and balances systems to insure you've got all the right forms and invited all the correct people to meetings. either way it's going to tough and time consuming. I'm assuming you've tried medication