ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-21-17, 08:45 PM

Essa96 is on a distinguished road
What is the diagnostic process like for ADHD?

From the UK (London) on NHS.

What is the assessment like for adults? Is it just a 1 to 1 talk with symptom checklists and/or do you undergo concentration tests, for example?

Also..
My GP said he would refer me to see an adult psychologist and that referrals usually take 2-3 months. I haven't received a letter stating my referral yet (been 2 weeks). Is this normal?
Old 11-22-17, 09:01 AM

Cabby44 is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the diagnostic process like for ADHD?

From Canada here also gov. funded health care. I would say your wait time isn't unusual and a psychologist or psychiatrist is a good bet for diagnosis. I was diagnosed by my psychiatrist he knows me well now. My daughter went to a child psychologist to get diagnosed and I know someone who went to an adhd clinic and had all kinds of mental tests prior to diagnosis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cabby44 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (11-22-17)
Old 11-22-17, 09:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,856 Times in 14,136 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is not the best when it comes to adhd diagnosis especially with the NHS.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (11-22-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-17, 09:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,079 Times in 13,433 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa96 View Post
From the UK (London) on NHS.

What is the assessment like for adults? Is it just a 1 to 1 talk with symptom checklists and/or do you undergo concentration tests, for example?

Also..
My GP said he would refer me to see an adult psychologist and that referrals usually take 2-3 months. I haven't received a letter stating my referral yet (been 2 weeks). Is this normal?
Hi Essa. The assessment consists of a long detailed interview that will cover your childhood and all aspects of your current life. The questions include the symptoms listed in the DSM but are not restricted to them.

It's usually just you and your psychiatrist though sometimes it could be helpful to take someone with you who knew you as a child.. eg a parent.

Some psychiatrists might carry out additional tests but these are not really relevant to confirming or ruling an ADHD diagnosis.

I had to wait for a few months for my appointment and if I remember right I don't think I hear from for a few months either.

However it depends on what the waiting lists in your area are like.

Did you say psychologist? As far as I know ADHD can only be diagnosed by a psychiatrist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (11-22-17)
Old 11-22-17, 12:17 PM

Essa96 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! And nope, i'm not sure if it was a psychologist or psychiatrist xD