ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 10-11-14, 04:28 AM

Becks888 has a spectacular aura aboutBecks888 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Domestic Violence Safety Plan - Men and Women

This thread is amazing!!! I'm a latin woman and people always make jokes that being crazy and abusive just comes with our territory. I hate that people think its funny when women are physically and more importantly verbally abusive. Woman or man we all need to learn how really respect each other and more importantly ourselves. When you respect yourself there's no need to lose control and abuse another person. No need for it and I'm over the excuses!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Becks888 For This Useful Post:
Flory (10-11-14), Rebelyell (10-11-14)
Old 10-11-14, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,636 Times in 5,748 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To Spot An Abuser - For Men

Well said becksters
Old 10-20-14, 11:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79 View Post
Hi
I'm a woman but I also feel that the female to male abuse is not talked about enough!
My father used to say the pendulum never stays in the middle!

Basically, our society focuses on woman's issues and sometimes goes to the point of the other way. No shop will ever talk about "men's cancers" but the cosmetic industry finally realized that women get other cancers than just breast cancer for example.

I've been verbally abused by some females myself. I'm not an alpha male and easy for anybody to "walk over" by nature which is bad.

The truth is
1) women's issues do legitimately exist and should be dealt with
2) sometimes men are neglected too but the same forces in other ways
3) all people count.

In terms of violence against women, all violence is bad. The only thing that makes violence against women 'worse" is 1) frequency and 2) difference
in strength between average male and average female.
Old 07-18-16, 02:54 PM

thisnotme is on a distinguished road

This is opposing the topic but some guys like that type of woman occasionally
Old 07-23-17, 09:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisnotme View Post
This is opposing the topic but some guys like that type of woman occasionally
If it is truly abuse, then no one would like it, otherwise it wouldnt be considered abuse.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (11-28-17), Ian (07-23-17)
Old 11-28-17, 02:23 AM

mikemotorbike is on a distinguished road

This touches on our humanity. We are all culpable. Playing victim doesn't cut it. There are no victims. The guide above is not meant to be for Snowflakes to feel better about themselves. The guides are about action, not ego justification.

It's not that abuse just might happen, it is inevitable. When surrounded by abusive behavior, its how we deal with it. Identifying it in others can come as a shock. We are surrounded by potential enemies. In everyone, the enemy is also within. Understanding that the abusive person has big mental issues is a starting point. Forgiveness only works initially. Action must be taken to be sovereign. Otherwise, its just the blame game. It's not easy. Others will attempt to derail your efforts. You must continually hone your awareness that danger exists always, like a warrior. One must develop self esteem, and a taste for self-preservation. This might involve being rude, calm or compassionate, when none was shown to us.

Actually, it has been. We have learned to disrespect it. We honor the strong. We were shown that weakness is bad. We have to resolve this dilemma and identify the behaviors exactly which comprise strength and weakness. Dominance and submission. Do these words strike fear in you?
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemotorbike For This Useful Post:
Ian (11-28-17)
Old 11-28-17, 05:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I think for men, it's more psychological. I find women are generally better at getting into a mans mind than vice versa. Which would make sense, as we are generally more simplistic beings. I don't however mean that we're stupid, but our values and our desires could be written on a sticky note while women's values and desires could fill an encyclopedia.

We're more vulnerable psychologically while women are of course more vulnerable physically.
Old 11-29-17, 09:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemotorbike View Post
This touches on our humanity. We are all culpable. Playing victim doesn't cut it. There are no victims.
I disagree, abuse is a power thing and there most certainly is a victim.

Quote:
The guide above is not meant to be for Snowflakes to feel better about themselves. The guides are about action, not ego justification.
I dont like the word snowflakes cause it implies that people are so sensitive its ridiculous. Unless you didnt mean that in which case I apologize.

Quote:
It's not that abuse just might happen, it is inevitable. When surrounded by abusive behavior, its how we deal with it. Identifying it in others can come as a shock. We are surrounded by potential enemies. In everyone, the enemy is also within. Understanding that the abusive person has big mental issues is a starting point. Forgiveness only works initially. Action must be taken to be sovereign. Otherwise, its just the blame game. It's not easy. Others will attempt to derail your efforts. You must continually hone your awareness that danger exists always, like a warrior. One must develop self esteem, and a taste for self-preservation. This might involve being rude, calm or compassionate, when none was shown to us.
You are saying this forgetting the fact that the abuser has convinced the victim that they have no power and that they are better off with the abuser for the sake of their physical/mental wellnbeing, their kids, their finances or protection. No matter how unhealthy it is and how well the victim can admit that its unhealthy it doesnt mean that knowledge becomes power.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-29-17, 04:56 PM

Thanked 33,848 Times in 15,310 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Further Discussion split off from "How To Spot An Abuser - For Men"

moderator note

the original posts that are guidelines for spotting an abuser have been retained as a sticky for reference here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189282

they have been split off from this discussion so as to preserve their usefulness.

carry on,
-peri