ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 08-09-11, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

mcnay1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcnay1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Melatonin??

We are another family that can swear by melatonin. our son who has been diagnosed with ADHD has always been a terrible sleeper. He was adopted from an international country so we didnt know his sleep patterns before bringing him home. We tried everything. Finally, his psychiatrist told us to try melatonin to get him to sleep. It has worked very well. He is 6 and takes 5 mg each night sometime between dinner and bed time. He typically falls asleep while reading in his bed. If he doesnt take it, he is up until 10 or 11 or even later. Humans create melatonin naturally anyway but some of us dont create enough. I believe this is the case for our son so the melatonin supplement does the trick (so far). good luck with it!
Old 08-18-11, 10:48 AM

jennyb2492 is on a distinguished road

Since I posted last week, we started melatonin. I have given him 1.5 mg, crushed into a glass of milk about 8:30 each night. He has fallen asleep gently by 9:30 for 3 nights in a row - that is a record!!! He used to roll around in his bed talking to himself for hours.

Keeping our fingers crossed, and our eyes on the latest research.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennyb2492 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (08-18-11)
Old 08-18-11, 03:57 PM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,578 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you found something that worked! I started using melatonin for jet lag, and since then I've taken it occasionally on those nights that I just can't get to sleep. It works pretty well for me, even with a really low dosage.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-17, 05:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

My apologies for bumping an ancient thread.

Has anyone taken melatonin whilst on Concerta?

If so, did it cause any unsavoury interactions?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-17, 08:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post

Thanks.
My son did, and it worked just fine. He takes a gummy version rather than a tablet that you have to swallow or crush. Both my kids take melatonin gummies and both are on ADHD meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (12-06-17)
Old 12-09-17, 07:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,884 Times in 13,585 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post

Thanks.
The important thing to remember with melatonin is less is more. A higher dose of melatonin doesnt mean it will work better and can cause grogginess.

I carried a watermelon?