ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-17, 03:39 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,978 Times in 14,785 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
5 years sober

Today I celebrate 5 years sober. I remember being annoyed that I didnt stop on the 12th so it would be 12/12/12 but we all come around when the time is right.
It was 3am and I had to get up and drink because I was sweating and shaking. I was at the point where I couldnt make it two hours without alcohol. I was physically and emotionally sick. Hours before a friend called me and told me I had to tell my husband that I had relapsed and that it would be ok. My friend told me he loved me and being honest would set me free. She was right. When my husband got up that morning I told him and went to an AA meeting at noon.I kept going to those meetings and still go today. 12 step stuff isnt the only way to get sober and its not for everyone but its my success story.

I used to be able to feel where my liver hurt. I broke promises and avoided places I couldnt drink. I hid bottles everywhere and bribed the garbagemen with 20$ twice a week to take my trash with hidden bottles and put it in with the regular garbage. Our recycles were only every two weeks and I had to get them out somehow. Do you believe that?

I bribed garbagemen cause of the shame, the guilt and self hatred. The guy at the liquor store would tell me that he had more of my brand coming in because I would buy up the whole display over the course of a week. At that point it was miserable maintainence drinking. They always say to never forget your last drink or drunk but for me I never want to forget that first day sober. That first day and probably 6 weeks were physical hell. I should have gone to a detox. I take Lamictal for bipolar and was told it saved my life and prevented alcohol withdrawal seizures. I thought I was going to have a heart attack cause of the palpitations. I cried all the time. Alcohol was my coping skill and without it I felt like I couldnt be normal. I hardly slept and had cold sweats. I remember holding hands at the end of that first meeting and I was shaking so bad that other people had to steady me to keep me from shaking them too.

It was the worst few months of my life-and the best thing that could have happened. Go ahead and read posts of mine from that time frame and before. You'll see I am not the same person anymore. I was desperate and on my way to a slow death. Alcoholism is suicide, its just long, drawn out and painful.
Ive gone through more stress sober than I ever did drinking and have managed to live through it.
Thanks to all who support and celebrate me. Thanks to that friend who called me. Life is very hard and very spectacular all at the same time. Its Serendipity.

-sweets
xxxooo

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-13-17), anonymouslyadd (12-21-17), FlipperTheWhale (12-13-17), Fraser_0762 (12-13-17), Fuzzy12 (12-13-17), limitless90 (12-15-17), Luvmybully (12-13-17), midnightstar (12-14-17), namazu (12-13-17), OyVeyKitty (12-14-17), peripatetic (12-13-17), stef (12-14-17), TygerSan (12-14-17), Unmanagable (12-13-17)
Old 12-13-17, 03:59 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,452 Times in 13,261 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5 years sober

Congrats, sarah
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 12-13-17, 04:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,896 Times in 13,805 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-17, 09:24 PM

Thanked 4,205 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful thing to read today! CONGRATULATIONS Sarah!

Old 12-14-17, 08:54 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Congrats
Old 12-15-17, 10:24 PM

limitless90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I used to be able to feel where my liver hurt. I broke promises and avoided places I couldnt drink. I hid bottles everywhere and bribed the garbagemen with 20$ twice a week to take my trash with hidden bottles and put it in with the regular garbage. Our recycles were only every two weeks and I had to get them out somehow. Do you believe that?

I bribed garbagemen cause of the shame, the guilt and self hatred. The guy at the liquor store would tell me that he had more of my brand coming in because I would buy up the whole display over the course of a week. At that point it was miserable maintainence drinking. They always say to never forget your last drink or drunk but for me I never want to forget that first day sober. That first day and probably 6 weeks were physical hell. I should have gone to a detox. I take Lamictal for bipolar and was told it saved my life and prevented alcohol withdrawal seizures. I thought I was going to have a heart attack cause of the palpitations. I cried all the time. Alcohol was my coping skill and without it I felt like I couldnt be normal. I hardly slept and had cold sweats. I remember holding hands at the end of that first meeting and I was shaking so bad that other people had to steady me to keep me from shaking them too.

It was the worst few months of my life-and the best thing that could have happened. Go ahead and read posts of mine from that time frame and before. You'll see I am not the same person anymore. I was desperate and on my way to a slow death. Alcoholism is suicide, its just long, drawn out and painful.
Ive gone through more stress sober than I ever did drinking and have managed to live through it.
Thanks to all who support and celebrate me. Thanks to that friend who called me. Life is very hard and very spectacular all at the same time. Its Serendipity.

-sweets
xxxooo
you just stole my text.... I can relate to that so much.. and really feel happy to read u got out of this .. alcohol is the worst Thing one can do to himself and People around him....
wish u all the best <3
Please tell me I am not undone.
It's like there's fire under my skin
And I'm drowning from within
I can't take another breath,
Please tell me I am not undone.♥♥♥
Old 12-16-17, 03:57 AM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Good work
Old 12-20-17, 11:10 PM

Archerobx is on a distinguished road

Awesome
Old 12-21-17, 12:15 AM

Thanked 21,933 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Sarah!