ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-17, 11:16 PM

Steve French is on a distinguished road
Howdy

Hi. I'm Steve. Well, not really, of course, but you can call me that if you like.

About me: I am 25 years old. I have mostly been a failure in life. I left school with my grade 9, I have bounced from job to job, my social life is a shambles. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder around 17 or so, and by diagnosed I mean I went to a doctor and said, "Hey, I think I might have this" and she responded, "Sure! Here's a bunch of SSRIs, go wild!". I took them for some time, not much happened other than negative side effects. I managed to mostly get over that with a combination of CBT and exposure, self-administered.

Anyway, I sat here in July this year, fired from my latest job after what was yet another in a long line of poor, impulsive decisions, and I decided to pursue what had long been a thought of mine: that my lack of focus, attention, poor memory, impulsive decision making, etc., might be symptoms of a larger problem than chronic laziness or chronic cannabis use. I went to the doctor, got hooked up with a psychiatrist, and was given methylphenidate back in October.

Since then I've enrolled back in high school, distance naturally, as I'm getting far too old for my old alma mater. What do you know, the pills work. I'm scoring in the 90s. But still, that isn't quite good enough. I have bigger plans, university and a good job, and fixing the rest of my life. I know I have to make many lifestyle changes, and it occurred to me I needed to talk about this with people who understand what I am going through, have some empathy, take similar meds.

So I ended up here after a quick google. Though appearing quite deadish, it seems to be the most frequented adhd forum. Reddit just doesn't have the discussion format I like. Hopefully my time here is fruitful.

And that's really all I have to say on that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve French For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-22-17), namazu (12-22-17)
Old 12-22-17, 12:05 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,537 Times in 9,767 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Howdy

Hi and welcome, Steve! Errr..."Steve"...

Glad to hear you're turning things around. Much respect to you for working on the high school diploma -- and hope it's a stepping tone to bigger and better things!